Jackabo
+127|6566|Dublin, Ireland
My clan has two servers, 24/7 Karkand and 24/7 air maps. I always play on the karkand one and as you may have guest I'm getting a bit bored. So I decided to get back into air maps. The thing is, all the co-pilots in the choppers are shit as well as the drivers. I can't drive a jet, everytime I try to go infantry, i either get bombed or killed by a chopper or tank. If i'm in a tank I get bombed.

I mean how do you guys do it. I just don't know how do play with out getting killed.

Any help or advice?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6297|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

I can guess Sarge's tip:

"M95."
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
paper_pigeon
God Status
+26|6233|Mildura, Aus
practice. hours of practice. oh and a joystick
Retalliation[1337]
Robin Hood ---> "u got arrownd"
+51|6482|Belgium
The trick is avoid the masses never stay with more the 2 people for a while,  they have UAV and scan... as well or just get some practice in unranked
and when u neutralize a flag just run... for a bit

Last edited by Retalliation[1337] (2007-07-06 14:09:58)

Jackabo

Retalliation[1337] wrote:

The trick is avoid the masses never stay with more the 2 people for a while,  they have UAV and scan... as well or just get some practice in unranked
and when u neutralize a flag just run... for a bit
Hey retalliation, i remember when you wanted to join our clan. How is NWA. Oh yeah btw, kick and ban consigeliers. He is a hacker. I've seen footage.
Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6703|UK
m95/redline learn to fly
too_money2007
+145|6316|Keller, Tx
X, I'll gun for ya. I don't miss in the helo.
Jackabo

too_money2007 wrote:

X, I'll gun for ya. I don't miss in the helo.
It's a date!
Retalliation[1337]
Robin Hood ---> "u got arrownd"
+51|6482|Belgium
*signs up to provide jet backup*
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6369|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
*signs up to provide blackhawk ramming abilities.....*  nothing like ramming a black hawk into the chinese fat boy
Jackabo
I think we should just go and raid some server!
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661

cowami wrote:

I can guess Sarge's tip:

"M95."
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
san4
The Mas
+311|6696|NYC, a place to live
Play mobile AA. That way you can defend yourself against the planes and helis.

Really, the key to airmaps is having good pilots on your team who can harass the other team's aircraft so they don't keep killing you. If the other team's bomber kills you a dozen times in one round, your pilots aren't doing their job and there isn't much you can do about that.

Btw, I will M95 you if you try to take my mobile AA.
aj0405
+19|6168

san4 wrote:

that's why i either rode shotgun or took the armor on Daqing when there was only one.i remember whenever i'd get close to the spawnpoint of the AA by the Old City you'd watch me and then try to get in a better position to get it.

Last edited by aj0405 (2007-07-06 16:00:14)

VicktorVauhn
+319|6400|Southern California
I give up on flying, its to much compilation for aircrafts.

Ground vehicles really depend on your team's pilots to keep the bombers busy.
Infantry isn't too hard, planes rarely go for infantry so just hide when you hear a chopper.

DPV is the key, FAV is good too but FAV = win. Its fast enough to make it hard for people to bomb you, you just need to swerve when they do try and gun/bomb you
san4
The Mas
+311|6696|NYC, a place to live

aj0405 wrote:

san4 wrote:

that's why i either rode shotgun or took the armor on Daqing when there was only one.i remember whenever i'd get close to the spawnpoint of the AA by the Old City you'd watch me and then try to get in a better position to get it.
Smart fellow. Thank you for helping me avoid getting teamkills.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6560|Scotland
Infantry only, i hate planes and choppers and tanks
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6462|USA

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Infantry isn't too hard, planes rarely go for infantry so just hide when you hear a chopper.

DPV is the key, FAV is good too but FAV = win. Its fast enough to make it hard for people to bomb you, you just need to swerve when they do try and gun/bomb you
Against any good pilot you will get raped in a car...
MysteryJake
+12|6215|California
A good way to not be stuck with a noob in the chopper without TKing him or being a redlining asshole would be to get a friend who is good at gunning or flying to raid the server with you.
ARCHANGEL1941
Hell Yeah I Suck Toes!!!
+14|6205|Cali

VicktorVauhn wrote:

FUCK THAT. HIDING IS FOR PUSSIES.
As for swerving to avoid getting bombed, a good pilot anticipates that and will kill you anyways.
Just practice flying and bombing in single player mode in the jets.
Work on your TV to helo skills.
Perfect practice makes perfect.
I've got the 59+hrs in the jet and 115+ hrs in the helo.
Me and my buddy Undertow007 always fly together. He's a great gunner.
In the helo, I started out as a pilot cuz i was good at that & terrible with the TV.
Now i like to gun, cuz i'm not too shabby at the TV and he flies now.
In the jets i flew copilot cuz its easy to use the TV missile lock and it was good to see how a good pilot would avoid death and get out of jams.
Its good to fly with a friend and good to use Teamspeak or Ventrilo.
Fuck flying with a nub gunner or pilot you don't know.
A joystick does wonders too, but it is preference.
A inexpensive one that i use is the Saitek ST290-Pro. I paid $8.00 for it on sale @Radio Shack in Southern California. Reg. $19.99
http://www.microsupply.com/index.php?ma … rrency=USD
I've never had a problem with it.
I'm saving my money for this one though...
http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/x52proflcosy.html 
When i fly without my usual copilot and i fly with someone else i communicate with the push to talk hot key button i have set on my joystick so i don't have to take my eyes off the game to find the "B" button.
Again. Perfect practice makes perfect.
Hiding is for pussies
If you care about your stats or getting owned, single player or a server that only has a few of your friends on it is the way to learn. It doesn't affect your global score and the bots suck anyways.
It took me a while to bomb accurately but one good way to learn is to play on a server that hasn't started yet. My friends would give me a target to bomb and would spot for me in the helo and let me know how far off or short the bombs fell.
I learned the hard way, and i tried practicing in game with all the great players out there and i got my ass handed to me everytime.
Its a different story now...

Last edited by ARCHANGEL1941 (2007-07-06 17:41:22)

Undertow007
+8|6158|Rep. of Palua

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

As for swerving to avoid getting bombed, a good pilot anticipates that and will kill you anyways.
In the helo, I started out as a pilot cuz i was good at that & terrible with the TV.
In the jets i flew copilot cuz its easy to use the TV missile lock and it was good to see how a good pilot would avoid death and get out of jams.
A inexpensive one that i use is the Saitek ST290-Pro. I paid $8.00 for it on sale @Radio Shack in Southern California. Reg. $19.99
When i fly without my usual copilot and i fly with someone else i communicate with the push to talk hot key button i have set on my joystick so i don't have to take my eyes off the game to find the "B" button.
Hiding is for pussies
If you care about your stats or getting owned, single player or a server that only has a few of your friends on it is the way to learn. It doesn't affect your global score and the bots suck anyways.
It took me a while to bomb accurately but one good way to learn is to play on a server that hasn't started yet. My friends would give me a target to bomb and would spot for me in the helo and let me know how far off or short the bombs fell.
I learned the hard way, and i tried practicing in game with all the great players out there and i got my ass handed to me everytime.
Rock On!! I agree not just because I'm named above, but because flying is an art and needs more artists.  As for getting owned, everyone does no matter how good you are, they just won't admit it.
MysteryJake
+12|6215|California

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

What are you mad cuz when you bomb a freshly neutralized flag you don't get any kills? get over it, I think i can speak for everyone here when i say we'll do whatever it takes to survive longer, and if thats hiding the hell im gonna do it.
Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6703|UK

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Hiding is for pussies
write much?

and also that joystick clearly didnt do u any favours.
ARCHANGEL1941
Hell Yeah I Suck Toes!!!
+14|6205|Cali

MysteryJake wrote:

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

What are you mad cuz when you bomb a freshly neutralized flag you don't get any kills? get over it, I think i can speak for everyone here when i say we'll do whatever it takes to survive longer, and if thats hiding the hell im gonna do it.
I don't get mad at shit when i play this game, cuz its a game. You kill sometimes, and sometimes you get killed.
LOL. hiding for strategy is one thing. We all hide for strategy
Playing as a pussy is another.
This thread is about how to get better at airmaps (which i think means flying) not how to hide in an airmap.
Why the hell would you want to join a 24/7 Airmap only to play as infantry or in a tank?
I join cuz i want to fly.
I was trying to motivate him (by calling him a pussy...LOL) to stop hiding and practice his flying techniques.
Read my post and not the first line or two.
I never said i was teh L33tist pilot evah, in truth, i'm a little better than average, but i'm am getting better.
We're all here to ad input and talk a little shit, i'm just putting my two cents in.

Last edited by ARCHANGEL1941 (2007-07-06 18:28:18)

Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6574|England

More situational awareness is required on "jet maps" than IO due to the range of enemies you face. Keep aware of the surroundings, radar, "enemy jet spotted" voice overs, etc etc.

Learn the usual flight routes and areas where jets like to go, and avoid them when you are on the ground as best you can. Same with choppers.

Learn to use mobile AA (it really is not that hard) and take the flyboys down, go as support so you have unlimited missiles. Only use supply crates for repairing and avoid enemy tanks whenever possible. Do not underestimate the cannons on the mobile AA, they can often make all the difference.

As for tanking, learn to shoot the cannon and engage enemy tanks. Learn to take them out in no more than 3 hits (2 if you are good and 1 if you are a lucky bastard ). Use as much cover as possible to break missile locks from TV's, LGM's and AT rockets, i.e. fences, treelines, buildings, oil cisterns, etc etc. Whenever there is a lock on to you, smoke up and hit hard reverse (or forward). Doesnt always work but I avoid a lot of AT missiles doing this, watching them fly arcross in front of me. ALWAYS go as engineer in a tank so you can repair when required.
As for avoiding bomber jets, just get used to it. Its a fact of the game: if theres a good bomber pilot and gunner in the air you are gona die. A lot. I have first hand experience of both and its just a fact of the game. Unless you have some good mobile AA's and/or jets in the air to keep them at bay you just have to get used to it. Some maps it's more unfair than others, i.e. Taraba Quarry.
If you want to tank with less threats from the air, try Harvest, Tampa, FuShe and Smoke Screen. Zatar is also good for it.

FAV/DPV - swerve as much as possible. These things are lethal vs enemy helicopters so use them. Great for flag hopping quickly. But you have light armour so any jet is going to have you for breakfast if they find you.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard