maestrium
+13|6481|Arizona
Hey,

Since I just got a new PC, I might as well upgrade my router as well since it's rather old and is very unstable. What's a good router? I'll be using a wired connection to my PC for gaming, however I would still need wireless for laptop use along with my Wii. Any suggestions? I currently have a D-Link, and out of all the brands I've tested, they seem to be the best..

Thanks!
Ryan
+1,230|6839|Alberta, Canada

I have a LinkSys BEFSR41 if that helps.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6564|NYC / Hamburg

just a Ethernet switch or a DSL modem?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
maestrium
+13|6481|Arizona
Well, the router I have now has ethernet ports which I can use to plug into other computers for multiple connections, along with a wireless output. That's what I'm looking for. And thanks Ryan, I'll take a look.
ReTox
+100|6495|State of RETOXification

maestrium wrote:

Well, the router I have now has ethernet ports which I can use to plug into other computers for multiple connections, along with a wireless output. That's what I'm looking for. And thanks Ryan, I'll take a look.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=487
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6476|Somewhere else

D-Link wins.  I have thier DGL-4300 > Wireless 108G Gaming Router

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2007-07-03 17:35:46)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6762|Cambridge (UK)
ADSL or cable?

For ADSL, I have the Netgear DG834G v2. It's a good little router. And it has wireless.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6349|uk

Netgears FTW.

Easy to set up.

Very easy to configure

And from there, you hardly ever have to touch it

Ive had both the DG834G v2 and the DG834PN. Both rated 10/10
Shadow893
lel
+75|6689|England
What ever you do, steer way clear of wireless. It is the mose ridiulous thing ever when it omes to gaming. Just stick with wired.

I know some people love wireless, but I have had bad experiances with it from day one of getting it (and many others). In the end I gave up and just spent ~30 pounds on a decent cable and a wired router, and then I stuck it under the carpet. Out of site out of mind is the case with me. Never looked back since.
Apoc-SAS
rebmeM
+39|6384|Scotland

Shadow893 wrote:

What ever you do, steer way clear of wireless. It is the mose ridiulous thing ever when it omes to gaming. Just stick with wired.

I know some people love wireless, but I have had bad experiances with it from day one of getting it (and many others). In the end I gave up and just spent ~30 pounds on a decent cable and a wired router, and then I stuck it under the carpet. Out of site out of mind is the case with me. Never looked back since.
He said he wants both, wired for his gaing but wireless for his laptop.
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6232|United Kingdom
why not wireless? i have pings of <30 in-game ... what's to hate?
maestrium
+13|6481|Arizona
Wireless CAN be fine for gaming depending on the connection, but generally wired is best.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6689|England

Apoc-SAS wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

He said he wants both, wired for his gaing but wireless for his laptop.
I hear you, but in m,y experiance it never works either way. And when it does, it's like dial-up.

BTW I have a 4Mb connection with virgin media
BluRR33
+27|6384|Sweden
D-Links
LT.Victim
+1,175|6559|British Columbia, Canada

mitch212k_2 wrote:

why not wireless? i have pings of <30 in-game ... what's to hate?
I had wireless for gaming for about 3 months, I wanted to rip the router out of the wall.  Every couple of minutes the game would stutter then go back to normal, it really pissed me off cause i couldn't fly jets or helis without crashing into the ground, now i have wired Internet, its ALOT better..
maestrium
+13|6481|Arizona
Well, here is my situation.

I have a computer out near my dining area (the one I'm on now), that uses gets the internet from a cable going from the wall going to the modem. The ethernet cable from the modem goes to the router, which has another ethernet cable going to the computer. There is a hole in the wall which attaches this room to my bedroom, exactly where my computer will be. I can either add in an extra splitter (there is already one so I can have a cabl e go to the modem and also my TV), or I can just make another ethernet cable go from the router through the hole to my computer. (Also, getting another modem is out of the question, because I don't want to buy a router AND another modem, plus go through my ISP and set it up)

I would go for wireless if it were stable, however the router and my adapter would be about a foot apart (and going through a wall), and I've never been able to find a decent connection in my room due to the closeness. So that's why I want wired for my room.
teek22
Add "teek22" on your PS3 fools!
+133|6377|Bromley, London

I game on wireless. I have never ever had a connection drop out and I mean it.

I would reccommned the Netgear DG834PN.

I think thats the updated one from mine, I have the WPN824. They look and appear identicle. As I said never had a problem with that was related to the router.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
I never understood routers

Ok, so basically I have broadband (DSL). I use a Ethernet wire to connect my PC to the Modem, than the modem connects to a phone socket + power socket. What exactly do I need a router for? If so? As in, i don't get this whole router thing.

All I know is the basic plug this into that, filter this using that.
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6844|Germany
Cisco 871 FTW.
It needs excercise to be programmed (help on the internet), but it does everything just as you want it.
No hickups, no breakdowns, no failures.
It's expensive, though.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6589|Lexington, Kentucky
Personally, I like the Buffalo WHR-G125
That, and the DD-WRT team is also saying good things about it, even going so far as to make a special build for it with new features they can't put in the Broadcom-based firmwares.
agwood
+18|6636|I Fight for Bush !!

RoosterCantrell wrote:

D-Link wins.  I have thier DGL-4300 > Wireless 108G Gaming Router

http://games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370&#DGL-4300
Same here.. awesome router, very fast never had a problem with it which is more than i can say for Netgear and Linksys.

A lot of other routers puke when under heavy torrent usage, not this one. Toms Networking tested it out to 6000 simultaneous connections without dropping any of them which is a lot more than can be said for many other routers.
Inimicus_7
+26|6358|England, UK
Not Linksys, after speaking with a few people and looking around I forums, I'll never buy one again.

It -really- REALLY hates wireless networks (I game with wired before anyone moans), but honestly, to connect my friends laptop takes half an hour, as it has a hissy fit as to if it's going to let it on or not.
HeimdalX
+37|6647

Mekstizzle wrote:

I never understood routers

Ok, so basically I have broadband (DSL). I use a Ethernet wire to connect my PC to the Modem, than the modem connects to a phone socket + power socket. What exactly do I need a router for? If so? As in, i don't get this whole router thing.

All I know is the basic plug this into that, filter this using that.
some people have more than one computer

some people don't drink gasoline and call it moonshine there mr kentucky.
dubbs
+105|6628|Lexington, KY
Instead of just saying Dlink or Netgear, I will try to give you a little more information.

I personally like my Netgear router over my Dlink.  The reason being that the Netgear is less confusing, and easier to set up.  I have set a lot of holes in my firewall, on both my Dlink and Netgear, but on the Dlink it seems that it never works.  Even setting my PC in the DMZ, it seems to not work.  This could be a good think, if you want security.  To me, it is not, since I have other things on my PC for security.   I also have issues setting up my Dlink as a wireless access point, and connecting it to my Dlink and using it as a second router.  I have heard of people getting this to work, but you had to connect the Netgear to the Dlink, and not vise versa.

On the other side, the does have a nice Wizard to configure your network.  It also provides some additional information that the Netgear does not.  For example, you can do a test on the cable to help with trouble shooting if needed.  This is nice if you do not have additional ethernet cables.

I have also used linksys.  I do not like them since they were purchased by Cisco.

You could also use DDT, and have your old PC become a router with a Linux core.  That will allow you to control, and modify settings to your liking.  If you do not want to do that, you can use linksys and flash DDT to it.

My personal preference is a Netgear.  I would recommend this.  This is the updated version of my Netgear, the big difference is I have 802.11b wireless instead of g.  To me that does not matter since I do not do anything wireless.

Edit:

HeimdalX wrote:

some people don't drink gasoline and call it moonshine there mr kentucky.
Just a side note, what are you talking about?

Last edited by dubbs (2007-07-04 22:20:07)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6435|King Of The Islands

Whirlpool.net.au member's most popular modems:

#1  Netgear
     DG834G
#2  D-Link
     DSL-G604T
#3  Billion
     7404VGP-M
#4  Billion
     7402VGP
#5  Belkin
     F1PI241EGau
#6  Billion
     7300G
#7  D-Link
     DSL-502T
#8  Billion
     7404VGP
#9  Siemens
     Speedstream 4200
#10  Netgear
     DG834
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard