Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6574|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Okay so i just formated my computer...install windows the way Ive always did...with the activation code i was provided as always...but this time it just wont let me register it...ive hear that after a certain amount of time using an activation key you need to call them to get a new one...is this real or just some "rumors" traveling around the internet?
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6505|Bournemouth, South England
Can be true, particularly if you've had a major hardware change, ie mobo.  Call Microsoft (canada), ask to speak to a supervisor straight away.  Ask them for a new key, explaining you've "changed a damaged motherboard" and they'll get you one straight away, no hassle.  Make sure its a supervisor you speak to, minions have to go through a series of procedures first.
kingofkolt
+17|6221|Boston, MA, USA
You shouldn't have to get an entirely new key. Just call them and explain that you reformatted your hard drive and you're reinstalling Windows on the same computer. They'll probably ask you if you're running the same copy of Windows on more than one computer (which isn't allowed). Tell them no. And they should give you an activation "code" to enter in your activation window. That's what I just did the other day with Vista.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
Yes, I did have a major hardware change...New mobo, new cpu etc etc...but the wierd things is that its the second time i install with those new pieces and the first time everything worked well..WHY! Why the second time its alway fuck up!

Anyway...guess ill have to call that damn Microsoft canada or whatever it can be! (Fuck i hate calling for computer things!!)

Last edited by Roger Lesboules (2007-07-04 01:47:43)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6436|King Of The Islands

Ring them up and act dumb.

Also (if they ask) say your old computer is 'decommissioned', some markets let you have Windows on a new computer as long as it was uninstaled off the old one first.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Profitteroles
+11|6236|Dartford
I do nothing but gaming and very light web surfing so its very easy to reformat so i used to do it like once every 2-3 months then i had huge trouble with a hrad drive and ended doing about 4 formats in a day and it wouldn't let register again will have to try and ring them to see what they say.
ic|shiney
+17|6551|leeds.England
ive got a little tool that turns the activation thing off
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Certain type of licenses have a certain number of activations. The ones I use (msdn) are 10 per key. I think in many cases if call you can still get it activated.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
Bah i managed to make my activation work...with the key i had...havent done anything illegal...Stupid MS might be allied with EA who know!
luckeydogg
+35|6526|C:/system32/pimp.exe
It's true...  Ive had to do it before...  Its no big deal...  They dont charge you or anything...
dubbs
+105|6629|Lexington, KY
You can just call them.  Or if you still have your old HD, there are two files from the System32 folder you can copy then paste with the new install.  I had to call the US number to activate my copy of Windows, after a reboot (said it detected new hardware).  It was automated, and it was quick, about 6 minutes.  If that does not work, it will transfer you to a person that can assist you.  They may ask a few questions like, is this the only computer that Windows is installed on, is this a new computer, did you change the hardware of your computer, etc.   Just a tip, when you call, and if you get the automation, speak slow, and loud, or it will not work, then you have to talk to the person.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard