MIDFIELDGENERAL
+0|6678

iLLmatic wrote:

Why buy 3Gb of ram, when it stops ur system from runiing dual channels therefore decreasing overall bandwith and performance ?
I was thinking the same thing......
Maj.Do
+85|6764|good old CA
yea^ how about if u bought a 2 1 gigs and 2 512s
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6767

Maj.Do wrote:

Which is in fact what I have done. Quite affordably as well. Since I sold the old 2x 256mb chips & had a matched pair of corsair value PC3200 lying around to go on top, So I though, hey, it couldnt hurt!

& I also use the memory in graphics applications, so more than just a single game
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6712|MoVal So-Cal
I have 2 gigs and its worth every damn cent. Go and upgrade you will be gleefully pleased. soon....3gigs!
Ryan
+1,230|6855|Alberta, Canada

Oh i was gunna get a new system with 1 gig, 2 seems way better now.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6687|Planet Seibertron ;)
For those considering, this is my next 2GB.
Maj.Do
+85|6764|good old CA
my 2 gigs are OCZ somethign forgot, imight try XMS  on my in the process of being built computer
iLLmatic
+0|6762|uk

Maj.Do wrote:

thats jus plain stupid.

your basically putting 400Mhz 1GB modules... and mixing them with 512MB - Id be AMAZED if you didnt see an improvement removing the two 512MB sticks and jus going with 2 1Gb sticks running dual.
sixshot
Decepticon Geek

iLLmatic wrote:

Maj.Do wrote:

thats jus plain stupid.

your basically putting 400Mhz 1GB modules... and mixing them with 512MB - Id be AMAZED if you didnt see an improvement removing the two 512MB sticks and jus going with 2 1Gb sticks running dual.
It isn't uncommon for a setup like this, as this is possible on many S939 systems.  If you were to have good quality memory kits then running all 4 sticks should be no problem.  The only drawback that I can foresee out of this is the DRAM timing that is likely different from the 1GB and 512MB modules.  However, the easy and simple workaround to this is to simply configure the timings to the slower memory and run it from there.  The performance impact from that would be very minimal.

While the next pair of memory modules I get would be fast, I can easily run them alongside my old pair, which can't even run at 1T command rate.  However, the planned path was to replace them.   While this is makes sense for anyone who want to maximize performance, again the notion of running 2x1GB and 2x512MB sticks together isn't uncommon and is possible given you configure the memory timings to cope with the slowest pair.  You may want the most optimal performance out of a system.  But there are those who do not share that ideal.  Instead, they view practicality and usability.  If, by all means, that they are able to run their games the same, if not a little better due to less HD access, then to them that's all they need out of their memory.
DECEPTION_POINT
Banned
+17|6679|newcastle , N.S.W , Australia
yeah i argree u are all nerds 

mmmmmmmmmmmmm booooobs
orac07
+2|6668|Perth, Australia
With 1 gig I had about  30 seconds worth of hard drive activity at the start of every map . 2 gigs fixed this.
FI|ExTinguish
+0|6732
I cant find the words too discribe the goodness of 2 gigs or ram. no more unberable lag at the start of the game and u should be one of the first in the server (for those who must get a vehicle). now i will recommend that if u want to upgrade and if ure system can take it to spend the extra $$ on DDR2 ram and not simple DDR.
Madskillz-7517
+0|6675

BUDFORCE wrote:

its not gonna be a good test, its depends more on the speed of the ram, and fsb aswell a cpu clock speed.

To put it simply, a new PC with good cpu and good specs can out perform an old one with half as much ram.
i agree if you had a 2 gig ram but have a piece of s*** cpu it would not make that much of a difference

Last edited by Madskillz-7517 (2006-02-05 17:59:15)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6746|Singapore
2 gig loads a map in around 1 min plus the verifying and the loading.
AppeL
+0|6679
I have 768 MB RAM

Loading a map on average:
1gig: 1:30   
2gig: 22 seconds

=> ok, that will be even more than 1:30

Verifying client Data(what ever that is):
1gig: 45 seconds
2gig: 23 seconds

=> nono, just about 15 secs with my RAM

Joining a game:
1gig: 20 seconds with about 40 seconds of lag (depending on map)
2gig: 15 seconds to start NO LAG on any map.

=> hmm, ok 20 secs

ALT TAB:
To Desktop-with full control
1gig: 25 seconds
2gig: 1/2 second

=> maybe 5-10 secs

Back to in Game full play-
1gig: 1:20
2gig: 2 seconds

=> maybe 15 secs

Quit game:
1gig: 33 seconds
2gig: 1 second

=> 5 secs
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728

FI|ExTinguish wrote:

I cant find the words too discribe the goodness of 2 gigs or ram. no more unberable lag at the start of the game and u should be one of the first in the server (for those who must get a vehicle). now i will recommend that if u want to upgrade and if ure system can take it to spend the extra $$ on DDR2 ram and not simple DDR.
problem is that AMD currently does not support DDR2, so they dont have much of a choice do they? here in taiwan ddr2 is cheaper than ddr... even though its same brand
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6708|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
ive got 1 gig for 2 cards, 1 stick got stuffed, how do you think i feel running 2 7800gt's on 1 gig
I2elik
+12|6764|Perth, Western Australia
1 gig, loading time is about 30 seconds...never really figured out why, probably my mobo, won an award from Atomic
S4INT05
+1|6742|79605, TX

DavidGale wrote:

DUFFKING wrote:

Since getting 2gb of ram instead of 1, my loading times decreased a lot, I reccomend it
If you want to reduce them more, consider installing your OS and BF2 (and anything else that requires loading) onto a SATA drive.  Marked increase in load times.  The whole time you are waiting for a map to load the computer is pulling it off the hard drive and putting it in RAM.  The hard drive is the slowest piece of hardware in a computer.
that is exactly my set up. 3.4, 2gigs ram, and a raptor sata. HUGE speed gain from the sata..and the 2gigs help ALOT.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6684
Wow, I am running 1 gig Corsair matched DDR400 Ultra low latency and I load in faster then my friends with 2 gigs of RAM.

Is the 1 gig of RAM you tested shitty RAM?
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6771|Denmark
/ordered +1gig of ram

That was all I needed to hear CheckSando
sixshot
Decepticon Geek

Stealth42o wrote:

Wow, I am running 1 gig Corsair matched DDR400 Ultra low latency and I load in faster then my friends with 2 gigs of RAM.

Is the 1 gig of RAM you tested shitty RAM?
If you run with the most minimalistic setup, then I can see how that's possible.  But the only reason people are bumping their RAM to 1.5GB to 2GB (or more) is to make the verifying process quicker and the process from that loading screen to the 3D view/spawn selection smoother.  But no system configuration is the perfect one for 1GB and everyone will have something else running.  I always have something running in the background... that includes system utilities that monitors my fan speed, temperatures, and voltages.  So in the end, the most I can get out of it isn't enough to run BF2 affectively without any jitters that come after verifying the game and selecting your spawn.

I do find that 2GB can make a difference in the verifying process.  The process and progression to the spawn selection is much smoother, quicker, and there are no stuttering that comes from the system reading/writing to the HD (possibly due to writing to pagefile).
iLLmatic
+0|6762|uk
load times in Bf2 / any game isnt just down to ram guys..

speed of your processor / hard driver (sata or ide, 7500rpm or 10000rpm etc)  are all taken into effect.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728
3gm ram made veryfying proccess only 5 secs...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CrazeD
+368|6685|Maine
I somewhat disagree with some of the times.

I have one 512mb PC3200 stick, paired with one 512mb PC2100 stick.

When I press "join game", it is instantaneous, when I spawn, it is instant.

When I quit, my screen goes blank for a fraction of a second and I'm on the desktop. When I hit alt + tab, I'm on the desktop with full control in maybe 3 seconds, same to go back into the game.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard