Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas
5 Die on Virginia Farm From Deadly Methane Gas in Manure Pit

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. —  Deadly methane gas emanating from a dairy farm's manure pit killed five people, including four members of a Mennonite family, authorities said.

Emergency workers speculate each of the victims climbed into the pit in a frantic attempt to rescue the others. "It was a domino effect with one person going in, the second person going after them," Sheriff Don Farley said.

Farley identified the victims as Scott Showalter, 33; his wife, Phyillis, 34; their children, Shayla, 11, and Christina, 9; and Amous Stoltzfus, 24, who worked at the Showalter's dairy farm in the Briery Branch community.

The accident began Monday evening when Scott Showalter tried to transfer manure from one small pit to a larger one, measuring 20 feet by 20 feet and 8 feet deep.

At some point, the pipe that was transferring the manure became clogged, and Scott Showalter climbed in the pit to fix the blockage, Farley said. He apparently was overcome by methane gas, which is a byproduct of the liquefied manure, Farley said.

Emergency workers believe Stoltzfus climbed into the pit in an attempt to rescue Showalter. When the two men didn't come out, Phyillis Showalter and then the couple's two daughters apparently made their way in, all succumbing to the deadly gas.
Simon
basically
+838|6666|UK
That sucks >.<
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6778|Rotherham, England
Not one of the best ways to go, I must admit.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6335

Hicks. You do realize they were just going in there to have a mud fight right? Saving people? lol, ya right.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6497|Gogledd Cymru

Death by smellies
']['error
Banned
+630|6652|The Netherlands
haha sux2behim
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6533|South Florida

Cougar wrote:

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. —  Deadly methane gas emanating from a dairy farm's manure pit killed five people, including four members of a Mennonite family, authorities said.

Emergency workers speculate each of the victims climbed into the pit in a frantic attempt to rescue the others. "It was a domino effect with one person going in, the second person going after them," Sheriff Don Farley said.

Farley identified the victims as Scott Showalter, 33; his wife, Phyillis, 34; their children, Shayla, 11, and Christina, 9; and Amous Stoltzfus, 24, who worked at the Showalter's dairy farm in the Briery Branch community.

The accident began Monday evening when Scott Showalter tried to transfer manure from one small pit to a larger one, measuring 20 feet by 20 feet and 8 feet deep.

At some point, the pipe that was transferring the manure became clogged, and Scott Showalter climbed in the pit to fix the blockage, Farley said. He apparently was overcome by methane gas, which is a byproduct of the liquefied manure, Farley said.

Emergency workers believe Stoltzfus climbed into the pit in an attempt to rescue Showalter. When the two men didn't come out, Phyillis Showalter and then the couple's two daughters apparently made their way in, all succumbing to the deadly gas.
I wonder if im the only other one that gets the post title.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Hicks. You do realize they were just going in there to have a mud fight right? Saving people? lol, ya right.
Fuck you ass.  It's people like these hard working dairy farmers that make it possible for you to make your ass fat on hamburgers and chocolate milk.
aZWARt325
Banned
+7|6167|Long Beach, California USA
Damn that sucks
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6578|USA

Cougar wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

Fuck you ass.  It's people like these hard working dairy farmers that make it possible for you to make your ass fat on hamburgers and chocolate milk.
and we kindly thank them so. but seriously, it sucks. although one must wonder why common sense didn't kick in after the two men didnt come out, and why in hell the mother let her children anywhere near it.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6843|Kubra, Damn it!

Cougar wrote:

Im_Dooomed wrote:

QFE

You know if you pissed off Cougar with a "joke" that you must have really crossed the line. The death of a family isn't funny.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
Darwin award comes to mind...

They shouldn't have been there in the first place. That is a shit way to die, literally
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas

Mekstizzle wrote:

They shouldn't have been there in the first place. That is a shit way to die, literally
They have to be there.

Jesus fucking Christ, you guys really have no idea do you?  You really don't know?  It started as a "joke-ish" thread, but you guys...........just.........damn.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6368|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR

Mitch wrote:

haha thats the first thing i thought of when i read the story.
too_money2007
+145|6316|Keller, Tx
I feel bad for the daughter.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6763|United States of America
How funny would it be if Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs had been there?
aZWARt325
Banned
+7|6167|Long Beach, California USA

Miller wrote:

Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6663|Brisbane, Australia

Cougar wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

They have to be there.

Jesus fucking Christ, you guys really have no idea do you?  You really don't know?  It started as a "joke-ish" thread, but you guys...........just.........damn.
TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR RAGE!
aj0405
+19|6168

Miller wrote:

not very funny.what i don't understand is why the hell they let their kids go in after them.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6763|United States of America

aj0405 wrote:

Miller wrote:

not very funny.what i don't understand is why the hell they let their kids go in after them.
I'm not saying that it would be funny if he died, but imagine all the whining he would start... That's what I find funny.
iPoon.be
Internet Poon
+145|6537|Belgium

aj0405 wrote:

Miller wrote:

They were probably unconscious, so the kids went in by themselves.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6577|Portland, OR, USA

Mitch wrote:

Cougar wrote:

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I got it.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England

Cougar wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

They have to be there.

I don't think little kids have to be near that? I don't know. They shouldn't though

You know what, fuck this. If this was in some other country, everyone would be laughing. Well, this isn't from my country. So i don't have to start crying, look at the fucking deaths, it was stupid. Just accept it, as a non USA person, i'll look at it any way i want to. You'd all do the same if they weren't from your country.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-07-03 10:33:58)

suomalainen_äijä
+64|6173
R.I.P to those 5.

Life is unfair
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6293|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
That's awful.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard