GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
I have nothing more against jews than I have for any other religious belief in the world.  But, Im wondering, whats with the obsession of born again christians to send Jews to Israel?  There is an infomercial right now asking for my money to help send a poor jewish elder from the former USSR to the promised land of Israel?  Why do christians believe and support so much a group that has aboslutley no faith in their messiah, Christ?  Will Jesus come back sooner if there are more jews in Israel?

Gone for the rest of the day, gotta a Bar-B-Q to goto.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-07-01 07:01:41)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina
It has to do with the Rapture.  Apparently, the Rapture is directly connected to the fate of Israel and Jews in general.  This is why we have so many evangelical Zionists in America.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
I hate seeing Pat Robertson begging for money so early in the morning.
Turquoise
O Canada
Agreed...  I also think that the Rapture is a crock of shit similar to the ridiculousness of the Islamic 72 virgins idea, but people believe in whatever makes them feel good.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557
It's because they believe in a literal translation of the bible and the Old Testament states that the Israelites are 'God's chosen people'.
BALTINS
ಠ_ಠ
+37|6488|Latvia
Maybe they just want all jews to be in the same place. Like a summer camp!

sorry..
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
We have plenty of evangelicals here (from what i've read), let's hope some answer this. I'd also like to say that if you like Jews so much, convert to Judaism. Nobody is stopping you.

Wasn't it Jews that killed Jesus. Or has that turned to Muslims now?

MUSLIMS KILLED JESUS BY DENYING HIS FREEDOM - I can imagine that on the back of peoples car.

Religion is so funny.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6458|The edge of sanity

Mekstizzle wrote:

We have plenty of evangelicals here (from what i've read), let's hope some answer this. I'd also like to say that if you like Jews so much, convert to Judaism. Nobody is stopping you.

Wasn't it Jews that killed Jesus. Or has that turned to Muslims now?

MUSLIMS KILLED JESUS BY DENYING HIS FREEDOM - I can imagine that on the back of peoples car.

Religion is so funny.
The ROMANS killed jesus it was the jewish congrigation in canan that ratted him out to the romans. As for the whole love things. Its 2 things. one they believe that the isrealites (canan) are gods chosen people. Two they actually realise the Judiasm is the root of chrisitanity.
Turquoise
O Canada
I just wish people would stop believing so strongly in religious prophecy.  More often than not, actions that result from these beliefs lead to self-fulfilling prophecies.  In other words, such prophecies would not even come true if people did not act like they will occur.

For example, we could have avoided a lot of pain and suffering over the last 60 years or so if America had taken in more Jews after WW2.  We had plenty of land to spare here.  So, a huge amount of Jews poured into Israel, and now, America seems to think that we must protect Israel at all costs partly because of the Rapture.  If we just put that silly prophecy aside, we could maybe come up with some sort of compromise to help defuse the situation.
iamangry
+59|6647|The United States of America
Here's my take on it.

It all comes down to the application of Revelations to today's geopolitical structure.  In revelations, the bad stuff begins when a protector of Israel (or something like that) joins the rest of the world in opposing Israel.  It doesn't take a genius to realize who the protector of Israel is in this day and age, so it goes without saying that the fundamentalists in the Christian faith believe that if we turn our backs on Israel, it will in turn end America as a country because rapture's a bitch to a secular people.
Turquoise
O Canada
*nods* It makes sense in that context, but it's still a loony belief.
san4
The Mas
+311|6690|NYC, a place to live

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Why do Born Again Christians love Jews so much?
We're just so lovable, that's all there is to it.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6830|Texas

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

... Why do christians believe and support so much a group that has aboslutley no faith in their messiah, Christ? ...
Well, a few reasons really.

Judaism and Christianity share a common history and a faith in the same God.  Of course their histories and faiths diverge with Christ, however there is an affinity based on that common background.  This kinship is a relatively new development, as there is a long history of antisemitism from before the time of Christ up through the modern age.  Interestingly, Islam as well shares a common history (Ishmael I believe) with both Judaism and Christianity but diverges much earlier in the Old Testament.

Secondly, as believers in the Old Testament, Christians generally believe that the Jewish people are God's chosen people.  The importance of that cannot be overstated, even though the Christian faith still maintains that since the time of Christ all people need to accept Christ as Messiah to be received into heaven.

Basically this commonality leads Christians to be sympathetic to the Jewish plight and also leads to a feeling of brotherhood with the Jewish people.  As a Christian you are responsible to take care of your brother.  The atrocities suffered in WWII and the Russian pogroms pointed out a massive failing of Christians to look after their brothers.  This kinship and guilt leads many Christians to fully support the restoration of the people of Israel to the land of Israel.  Note that the "people of Israel" and "land of Israel" are separate and the people were without a land throughout much of their history.  The deliverance of the land to the people is one of the major themes through their history and seen as a fulfillment of a promise from God, Himself. 

For me, it all boils down to this... You hear people say "God is on our side" all the time.  I don't think so.  God doesn't choose sides.  I want to be on His side.  I believe in the Old Testament and that Jewish people are His chosen people.  Given that belief, I'm going to be on that side.  However that doesn't mean blanket support for their occupation of Gaza, the West Bank, etc.  They've encroached beyond the promised land and I believe they are now suffering the consequences of it.

Last edited by ph4s3 (2007-07-01 09:12:06)

V1king
+10|6156|Land of crocs and cane toads

Turquoise wrote:

Agreed...  I also think that the Rapture is a crock of shit similar to the ridiculousness of the Islamic 72 virgins idea, but people believe in whatever makes them feel good.
I believe I'll have another donut....
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

ph4s3 wrote:

Basically this commonality leads Christians to be sympathetic to the Jewish plight and also leads to a feeling of brotherhood with the Jewish people.  As a Christian you are responsible to take care of your brother.  The atrocities suffered in WWII and the Russian pogroms pointed out a massive failing of Christians to look after their brothers.  This kinship and guilt leads many Christians to fully support the restoration of the people of Israel to the land of Israel.
That may be the case for Christians in USA but in Europe Christians are generally speaking extremely critically of Israel and of organisations such as AIPAC. The majority of Europeans support the Palestinian cause, not the Zionist cause.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6759|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

Basically this commonality leads Christians to be sympathetic to the Jewish plight and also leads to a feeling of brotherhood with the Jewish people.  As a Christian you are responsible to take care of your brother.  The atrocities suffered in WWII and the Russian pogroms pointed out a massive failing of Christians to look after their brothers.  This kinship and guilt leads many Christians to fully support the restoration of the people of Israel to the land of Israel.
That may be the case for Christians in USA but in Europe Christians are generally speaking extremely critically of Israel and of organisations such as AIPAC. The majority of Europeans support the Palestinian cause, not the Zionist cause.
Zionists and Jews are two different things though.
Fen321
+54|6499|Singularity

ph4s3 wrote:

Basically this commonality leads Christians to be sympathetic to the Jewish plight and also leads to a feeling of brotherhood with the Jewish people.  As a Christian you are responsible to take care of your brother.  The atrocities suffered in WWII and the Russian pogroms pointed out a massive failing of Christians to look after their brothers.  This kinship and guilt leads many Christians to fully support the restoration of the people of Israel to the land of Israel.  Note that the "people of Israel" and "land of Israel" are separate and the people were without a land throughout much of their history.  The deliverance of the land to the people is one of the major themes through their history and seen as a fulfillment of a promise from God, Himself.
Why only brotherhood with the Jewish people? Where not the gentiles also called?
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6455|Ontario, Canada
I'll just sum up:
Theres the Old Testament, a covenant between God and Abraham. Covenant --> the Promised Land and Chosen People.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
san4
The Mas
+311|6690|NYC, a place to live

Some Random Website wrote:

Uri Avnery, is the leader of Gush Shalom, an Israeli peace group. He was discussing the theology of many Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Christians in a 2002-JUN essay, and wrote: "According to its theological beliefs, the Jews must congregate in Palestine and establish a Jewish state on all its territory so as to make the Second Coming of Jesus Christ possible...the evangelists don't like to dwell openly on what comes next: before the coming [of the Messiah], the Jews must convert to Christianity. Those who don't will perish in a gigantic holocaust in the battle of Armageddon. This is basically an anti-Semitic teaching..."
http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_isra.htm
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6830|Texas

CameronPoe wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

Yah.  Well, "the majority of Europeans" also allowed somewhere north of 12 million Jews be killed in the last two centuries through various pogroms, culminating in the Holocaust.  To be completely honest, I wouldn't expect a lot of sympathy from the epicenter of antisemitism.   Frankly I'm surprised that Europe agreed to the creation of Israel in 1948 by the UN.  Glad to see Europeans have don't have the courage of their convictions.

I don't support Israel's occupation of the West Bank either, however I don't know what the right move would have been in 1967.  They kicked the crap out of a very aggressive coalition Arab force massing on their borders and had to invade those areas to meet their military goals.  Those areas had no value other than as a military target, yet it is unheard of to return the "spoils" of a war to the aggressors.  The aftermath of that occupation is still felt today.  In hindsight I think they should have withdrawn after defeating the enemy and returned the lands to the Palestinian people and created the nation of Palestine.  At that time, the area known as Palestine wasn't a country so much as it was a territory occupied by other countries (Jordan, Syria, etc.)  Similar to Israel, the people of Palestine hadn't had an actual country or government of their own for quite some time, if ever.

I suppose a Theological argument could be made that the world actually usurped the promise of God in granting the nation of Israel it's own country instead of fulfilling that promise, in turn causing them more harm than good.  Or that it was perhaps God's will which is why it happened, but that Israel lost it's faith in God and replaced it with faith in their military or government causing them to lose sight of the promise and begin to get greedy with respects to land, power, etc.  Bad things ALWAYS happened to Israel in the Old Testament when they lost sight of God.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6830|Texas

Fen321 wrote:

Why only brotherhood with the Jewish people? Where not the gentiles also called?
Well, the kinship aspect stems from a common background.  The gentiles in the Old Testament were simply unbelievers and could have been of any other religion (usually multi theistic) or none at all.  The common belief between Christians and Jews is the belief in the Old Testament and a belief in the same God.  The gentiles believed in neither. 

Generally speaking though, Christians are supposed to view all people as their brother and are responsible to take care of all people regardless of those peoples' faiths or any beliefs they may or may not have in common. 

I was trying to highlight that this sense of kinship is strong because of that common belief system and that it has a bearing on how one group of people relates to the other.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6830|Texas

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

...The majority of Europeans support the Palestinian cause, not the Zionist cause.
Zionists and Jews are two different things though.
I've often wondered about this but never found a satisfactory answer.  What exactly is a "Zionist" and how is that different from typical Jewish person?  I've seen them used in contexts where they seem interchangeable but I think it is important to find out the distinctions.

edit - errr, answered my own question, see post 2 down from here

Last edited by ph4s3 (2007-07-01 12:27:26)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Will Jesus come back sooner if there are more jews in Israel?
Anybody who says they know when he's 'coming back' is no sort of a believer. Jesus himself didn't have the foggiest.
ph4s3
engineer
+34|6830|Texas

ph4s3 wrote:

What exactly is a "Zionist" and how is that different from typical Jewish person?  I've seen them used in contexts where they seem interchangeable but I think it is important to find out the distinctions.
Apparently I didn't wonder about it too much... Using Google, "define: zionist" delivers the following:

Google wrote:

Zionism is a political movement among Jews, although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews, which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland. Formally founded in 1897, Zionism embraced a variety of opinions in its early years on where that homeland might be established. From 1917 it focused on the establishment of a Jewish national homeland or state in Palestine, the location of the ancient Kingdom of Israel
More, on:
[list][*]Google[*]Wikipedia
CameronPoe
+2,925|6557

ph4s3 wrote:

ph4s3 wrote:

What exactly is a "Zionist" and how is that different from typical Jewish person?  I've seen them used in contexts where they seem interchangeable but I think it is important to find out the distinctions.
Apparently I didn't wonder about it too much... Using Google, "define: zionist" delivers the following:

Google wrote:

Zionism is a political movement among Jews, although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews, which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland. Formally founded in 1897, Zionism embraced a variety of opinions in its early years on where that homeland might be established. From 1917 it focused on the establishment of a Jewish national homeland or state in Palestine, the location of the ancient Kingdom of Israel
More, on:
[list][*]Google[*]Wikipedia
Zionists view the West Bank and Gaza as part of 'the promised land' the jews are supposedly 'entitled to' according to the Torah (which obviously contravenes international law). There are more extreme Zionists such as the Kahanists who have ludicrous ideas about the 'Greater Land of Israel' stretching from the Nile to the Tigris.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard