182|dunc
+4|6306|manchester UK
As i've stated on these forums before my hit -reg is either very good or very bad with no noticable correlation to ping,server type,connection speed,time of day or anything else i could think to try.

I've just learned to live with it.hope the next patch will help (im not holding my breath).

The other day i was playing on a public server with a clan mate on Karkand with vehicles,we joined mid-game and were both MEC,the t90 was free at the factory so i spawned at the cement factory while he went for the tank(both enginners).
while im waiting for a pick up ,i of course mine the bridge and both ramps out of the river,on arriving he asks me why i have not mined the ramp(he could see no mines).
He then proved to me there were no mines there by driving onto the top of the ramp and swapping positions in the tank (noob vehicle/mine suiside manouver),and sure enough he didnt explode.
He could see my mines on the bridge and the one on the corner ramp.
Has anyone else experienced this.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6611|Seattle
Yeah thats bad, I hardly ever use mines so I haven't experienced that, but i think bad hitreg correlates with a lot of typical bf2 glitches. for example when you jump and halfway through it teleports you back to the ground as if u didnt jump, having to reload twice, or when the iron sights ignore you. Just about every time I throw a grenade, 2 come out. Ive had the worst habit for a long time of throwing as if the one that goes further is the real nade, in reality its always the one that falls short. Its BF2, you cant change it, at least its still fun.

oh and to answer the question in the title, chances are its a bit of both and they are interrelated. supposedly packet loss is the main culprit for badhitreg in bf2. But I can tell you that hitreg is still bad with 0% packet loss depending on the target and server so i wouldnt put any energy into solving it unless you are a 'leet' programmer or something. And if thats the case: PLEASE FIX BF2, PLEEEASE.

Last edited by Marinejuana (2007-07-01 07:21:18)

Chou
+737|6817
Always play under 50 ping, I see so many players with a ping above 100 on a server, it's fucked up.
Also don't play on a server where there's no auto kick for high ping, you will see that the guy with 150+ wins gold and you with your 20 ping are struggling for air.
And don't tell me it's bad connection, highpingers are playing out of state, that's for sure.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6611|Seattle

Chou wrote:

Always play under 50 ping, I see so many players with a ping above 100 on a server, it's fucked up.
Also don't play on a server where there's no auto kick for high ping, you will see that the guy with 150+ wins gold and you with your 20 ping are struggling for air.
And don't tell me it's bad connection, highpingers are playing out of state, that's for sure.
i agree w all of that
182|dunc
+4|6306|manchester UK
thanks for the input guys,i appreciate it
on the subject of packet loss i thing i remember reading somewhere that there is built in redundancy on the transfer system(everything is sent twice).Can anyone verify this??.
Maybe this needs to be increased to 3-4 times,i know this would slow some PCs down so perhaps a optional element would be needed
I will drop a letter to the tech department at EA and ask for an opinion
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6489|meh-land
if the server has alot of high pingers, for some reason server hitreg will go down the drain, and they tend to get better reg and the low pingers get worse reg.  It's like a sort of built in 'equalizer' or something maybe, but its freaking annoying
IonYou
+3|6660

182|dunc wrote:

thanks for the input guys,i appreciate it
on the subject of packet loss i thing i remember reading somewhere that there is built in redundancy on the transfer system(everything is sent twice).Can anyone verify this??.
Maybe this needs to be increased to 3-4 times,i know this would slow some PCs down so perhaps a optional element would be needed
I will drop a letter to the tech department at EA and ask for an opinion
The problem is sending everything twice is not really a good fix for the situation. If the server is too busy for packet 1 it may be too busy for packet 2 as well, in fact likely so the closer in time they are sent together and lets face it if they aren't sent back to back it would count as 2 button presses even though you meant only 1 which will mess things up completely. Sending 3 or 4 will exacerbate this problem. You may end up dumping 2 or 3 items when you meant to dump only 1. The only fix I can see for this situation is that the server send an "I'm not busy ready to receive your packet now" tag to each player so that the clients no longer send packets to a busy server. Problem there is that it would require so much more bandwidth that 64 player servers would likely lag like crazy. So it looks like they may have intentionally traded hit registration for 64 player server capacity.

Personally I would prefer to play on a 32 player server with good hit reg than a 64 one with bad hit reg. Unfortunately 32 player servers obviously use the same code as 64 player servers so this isn't possible.

I'd like to note here that I'm am not a 'leet programmer' nor familiar with BF2 server code enough to say if this is the cause or not, I'm just guessing here based on what I know about generic client server communication algorithms.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6704|Middle of nowhere

Chou wrote:

Always play under 50 ping
that = solution

really the only problem i have then is the scope/unscope bug thing, but it's not that bad
Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6448|California, US
Never experienced that. I have a similar question though, I'm sure most of you have experienced the bad hit-reg with the knife. It seems to act up less when theres no lag on my other computer. How is that possible if its the hit-reg of the actual game.
genius_man16
Platinum Star whore
+365|6704|Middle of nowhere

Monkeyman911 wrote:

Never experienced that. I have a similar question though, I'm sure most of you have experienced the bad hit-reg with the knife. It seems to act up less when theres no lag on my other computer. How is that possible if its the hit-reg of the actual game.
that might have more to do with your connection to the server with the different computers
Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6448|California, US

genius_man16 wrote:

Monkeyman911 wrote:

that might have more to do with your connection to the server with the different computers
yeah i think its the local connection
nice stormtrooper btw...

Last edited by Monkeyman911 (2007-07-01 15:37:52)

[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6754|Honolulu, HI
60 is about the lowest ping I can expect to see when I play, owing to my location (Honolulu, HI) and there seem to be no servers in the state...

I have some awful hitreg sometimes, and for all I know maybe the ping is responsible.  I just know that when I start getting "puffs of smoke" or the sound effect/visual effect that bullets make when they hit an enemy, without seeing the enemy die, that I'm having a bad stretch of hitreg.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard