V1king
+10|6163|Land of crocs and cane toads
I thought I'd ask this question because of it's prevailance in society these days.  Yeah poor health is blamed for many of them like bowel, some lung related ones (smoking, etc..), some are genitic like breast, cervical, etc... but would you believe that the mind (Your brain) would play a contributing factor?  I firmly believe it does but not much scientific proof to state otherwise.  A lifestyle of stress, anxiety, depression, anger and so on surely must play a role in this and many other illnesses we suffer, especially cancer.

Maybe a trip to the shrink may solve many of these by changing how we react to the everyday trends of modern lifestyle as we know it and bring about a healthier future by acting early, whilst you're still healthy as we speak.

What do you think?

Last edited by V1king (2007-06-28 01:12:03)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6755|The United Center
If it's brain cancer, then yes.
weasel_thingo
+74|6335
my friends teacher on the first day of school said not to get angry and not to hate because if you be negative towards stuff thenyour cells go bad and turn into cancer, everyone started laughing then my friend shouted out "now now everyone, we dont want to get cancer" for the rest of teh year no one took her seriously and my friend doesnt have cancer, so no.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6570

weasel_thingo wrote:

my friends teacher on the first day of school said not to get angry and not to hate because if you be negative towards stuff thenyour cells go bad and turn into cancer, everyone started laughing then my friend shouted out "now now everyone, we dont want to get cancer" for the rest of teh year no one took her seriously and my friend doesnt have cancer, so no.
So, it turns out I'm not the only 5 year old in D&ST.
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6499|Menlo Park, CA
I don't think cancer is a disease of the "mind" per se, but definitely a disease of the body. . . .
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

V1king wrote:

I thought I'd ask this question because of it's prevailance in society these days.  Yeah poor health is blamed for many of them like bowel, some lung related ones (smoking, etc..), some are genitic like breast, cervical, etc... but would you believe that the mind (Your brain) would play a contributing factor?  I firmly believe it does but not much scientific proof to state otherwise.  A lifestyle of stress, anxiety, depression, anger and so on surely must play a role in this and many other illnesses we suffer, especially cancer.

Maybe a trip to the shrink may solve many of these by changing how we react to the everyday trends of modern lifestyle as we know it and bring about a healthier future by acting early, whilst you're still healthy as we speak.

What do you think?
Problems associated with the mind are often linked to physiological symptoms, even if outwardly-invisible. Chemistry, people.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-06-28 02:07:42)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
Some cancer is related to health, at the end of the day it's just random and anyone can get it in some form or another. So that's quite annoying. Don't think it's got anything to do with the mind, Cancer is when the cells don't replicate properly, right? Well, i don't think the brain plays a role in replication (in the actual process itself). If I remember right. Unless there's specific hormones and stuff.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-06-28 02:30:15)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia

V1king wrote:

A lifestyle of stress, anxiety, depression, anger and so on surely must play a role in this and many other illnesses we suffer, especially cancer.
I'm in my final year of school and we did some stress management thing. We learnt that stress will lower the effectiveness of one's immune system. We are more susceptible to common colds, etc. I guess having that lifestyle could act as a contributing factor, but things like cancer (some types) are genetically predetermined.
iamangry
+59|6654|The United States of America
No, it's not a "mind disease", and to be honest that's really offensive.  My grandmother recently died because of inoperable pancreatic cancer.  My mother almost died from her second bout of breast cancer.  To say that a "mind disease" could form a lump the size of a golf ball in your chest is totally retarded.  The only people with the "mind disease" with regards to cancer are insurance companies and doctors -- doctors because they WAY overcharge for services to make up for the money they lose from illegals, and they haven't gotten this crap figured out yet; and insurance companies because they agree to take it in the ass from the doctors when billed passing on outrageous legal crap and bills to those with the medical insurance.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia

iamangry wrote:

No, it's not a "mind disease", and to be honest that's really offensive.
I'll jump on that too. About 8 years ago one of my grandads died of bowel cancer. He had another type and the docters said "we got it all". That' turned out to be wrong... Recently my other grandad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. It's in the early stages so the outlook is 'looking good'.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6429|Melbourne, AUS
I certainly see what you are trying to say. Indeed a person's psychological state and outlook is able to affect their health to a degree.
Just take the common knowledge that injuries can heal faster when the person has a more optimistic outlook on the situation.

That aside, in many cases with malignant neoplasms (cancer) the "mind" has little to do with the cause of the illness per se, but may have more of an effect combating the disease instead.
weasel_thingo
+74|6335

iamangry wrote:

No, it's not a "mind disease", and to be honest that's really offensive.
i dont see it as offensive, i just see it as wrong, my mum died of cancer and she wasnt a negative person or anything and she was a happy person.
while i do think that being stressed and being negative etc can maybe effect other things i dont think it would get you something like cancer.
V1king
+10|6163|Land of crocs and cane toads

mcminty wrote:

I'm in my final year of school and we did some stress management thing. We learnt that stress will lower the effectiveness of one's immune system. We are more susceptible to common colds, etc. I guess having that lifestyle could act as a contributing factor, but things like cancer (some types) are genetically predetermined.
My point exactly.  Thank-you.

To those that think I'm implying people with cancer as physcopaths couldn't be more wrong.  I mean, our understanding of how powerful the mind can be and as something that will never really be something that can be examined under a microscope therefore, no real proof on the matter now or the foreseeable future.  Yes, diet and genetics definately play a role in many of them but all of them?  Our chain of thoughts control everything we think and do but like mentioned in above quote about immune system that we have no direct control over over how it operates.  We know how a cancer reacts when growing, etc...  like mentioned earlier but my point was the mind as a healing and/or prevention tool by changing our outlook towards people and our lives in general. 

The only explanation that may sound logical to some and that being adrenaline levels being  too high for far too long in angry, anxious and stressed people creating toxins that cause cancer.  It's  something that cannot always be recorded at a doctors clinic as they fluctuate with moods but long term stress levels may be a contributing factor.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6774|Cambridge (UK)

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

V1king wrote:

What do you think?
Problems associated with the mind are often linked to physiological symptoms, even if outwardly-invisible. Chemistry, people.
And problems associated with the body are often linked to psychological symptoms. It's all chemistry again. And the fact that there isn't any such thing as the 'mind' as a separate entity from the 'body'. They're one single mind-body 'thing' (damn, my brain's not working well at the moment - what's the word I'm looking for?).

But, cancer, hmm... maybe, to some extent, but I think the other factors (diet, pollution, genes, etc) have a more causative effect.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-06-28 05:37:05)

cospengle
+140|6496|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Yes, partly. The immune system (which fights cancer - not always successfully) is partly controlled by the HPA axis. The 'H' in HPA stands for Hypothalamus, which is part of the brain.

Last edited by cospengle (2007-06-28 06:46:06)

jonsimon
+224|6504

V1king wrote:

What do you think?
That's a "NO DUH" sort of question. Stress, both physical and mental, stresses your immune system. You should be able to see the direct correlation from there to cancer.
BVC
+325|6704
Its known that one's mental state can have some effect on one's health, but I'd say cancer is a disease of the body in this case.

Of course, depending on your view of the whole mind/body thing, mind and body could be the same thing, but thats a whole other kettle of fish.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6703|San Francisco
It's definitely not a mind disease.  I'm a cancer survivor...survived a rare bilateral retinal cancer when I was 2 years old, completely genetic as it was caused by the lower-left leg of my 13th chromosome being deformed/mutated.

Even in mind-over-matter studies, you just can't will your DNA to be perfect.  If cancer was a mind disease able to be cured by thought and lifestyle changes, then you'd be able to Will yourself to have different colored eyes; through positive thinking, you'd be able to will yourself to be taller and more attractive through no outside input at all.  There are many people I know who had completely healthy and positive lifestyles, just to be cut down by cancer randomly since it was written in their genes.

Non-genetic cancers can be prevented...and you can link non-genetic cancers directly to lifestyle; excessive drinking, excessive smoking, etc.  Determine what makes you do both of those and remove that reason from your life, and you won't get those particular forms of cancer.  Without anything short of screened treatments that catch genetic cancer early, or just gene therapy in general, you will not be able to stop genetic cancer through willpower alone.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford
I've always had an inkling the mind played a larger role than previously thought; unfortunately I can't find any evidence to back it up.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6527|USA
i've always enjoyed thinking about how we can't will ourselves to physically change becasue we don't truly believe we can.  /interesting thought
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6454|The Land of Scott Walker
Stress certainly can cause health issues, but cancer most definitely is not a mind disease.  Here’s why I believe that.  My grandpa was the nicest person I’ve ever met and he walked 4-5 miles per day, never smoke, never chewed tobacco, never drank a drop of alcohol, and kept a healthy diet.  He was one of the healthiest people I’ve ever know and he died of liver cancer that spread to his pancreas at age 67.
twiistaaa
+87|6677|mexico

Stingray24 wrote:

Stress certainly can cause health issues, but cancer most definitely is not a mind disease.  Here’s why I believe that.  My grandpa was the nicest person I’ve ever met and he walked 4-5 miles per day, never smoke, never chewed tobacco, never drank a drop of alcohol, and kept a healthy diet.  He was one of the healthiest people I’ve ever know and he died of liver cancer that spread to his pancreas at age 67.
yeah there is those cases. and also the fact that if you expose people to gamma rays they will probably get cancer whether they are happy or not.
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6260|Spacetime

weasel_thingo wrote:

Sometimes, but not often, teachers are right.
WinterWayfarer
Combat Medic
+21|6260|Spacetime

Stingray24 wrote:

Dudes this is why we must fight cancer.
link52787
+29|6530
cancer is not genetics.

Cancer is conditional.  People in your family could be prone to have a certain cancer but still is conditional.  Something has to trigger it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard