fatmarik
+23|6599|Anywhere i am needed
Since it is summer my pc has been running pretty hot, lets just say very hot. My gpu temp is 61, and my processor (both cores) 70, and my motherboard is decent at 39 (all in celcius). So my case has two more places where i can install 1 80mm fan and 1 120mm fan and i am thinking that that isnt enough to get it down to maybe in the 40s, and i need your guys help on a liquid cooling system that is rather cheap, mainly less than $120, or any other type of cooling system that will help me get my pc temp down. thx for reading and helping me with this
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
D'u have a digital camera?

If so, post a photo of the inside of your case - that'll give us a better idea of what options you've got - 61 isn't worryingly hot - but you probably could get cooler with some well thought out cooling.

Also, please post your exact CPU, PSU, and Video card info (make and model). As well as info about what heatsink/fans you currently have.
fatmarik
cpu: e6600 @2.4ghz oced to 3.2ghz
mobo: asus p5nsli
gpu: nviddia 7900gto
psu: antec 550watts

well i have the 120mm fan in the back and another 80mm on the right side of the case and an empy slot for 80mm in the left side and an empty slot for 120mm in the front. i am thinking of filling those slots up. so i am gonna go tomorrow buy me two fans.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
hmm... I could really do with a photo/diagram... the shape of the airflow through the case is much more important than the number/size of the fans...

Summat like this, ideally:
https://img530.imageshack.us/img530/1714/airflowoj5.png

Are you using stock cooling (that what came with it) on the cpu and gpu?

Does the PSU have fan on bottom? front? back?
fatmarik
yes i am using stock settings and i will take a high res photo tomorrow and upload it.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

fatmarik wrote:

yes i am using stock settings and i will take a high res photo tomorrow and upload it.
cool.
secshunayt
+2|6174
The temps on your graphics card are fine; graphics cards run hot. However, 70c on the processor is dangerously high. I would consider purchasing an after market heatsink if you're running on the stock heatsink, and clocking the processor down to default values in the meantime. For the heatsink, I would recommend a Zalman CNPS9500, or the 9700 if you're really willing to splurge. You could also consider one of the big ol' Thermaltakes. Don't forget to buy a tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste while you're at it; the paste they ship with the heatsinks is crap.

A good air cooling system will beat out a cheap water cooling system any day, and cost less. In order to see the full benefits of water, you have to be willing to drop at least 300 bucks on it; if you're still interested, I've heard good things about Swiftech.

Hope this helps you!
Jimbo2687
+1|6446|Karkand Hotel
Hey try looking at a pci fan card... my friend has one, it fits into a pci slot and has either two 120mm fans or two 80mm fans which kepts is nice and cool
secshunayt
+2|6174

Jimbo2687 wrote:

Hey try looking at a pci fan card... my friend has one, it fits into a pci slot and has either two 120mm fans or two 80mm fans which kepts is nice and cool
That would lower his graphics card temp nicely (allowing higher overclocks), but his ambient temperature isn't really that high. That 70c temp is very worrisome, and needs a more drastic measure. Running the processor under that kind of stress for too long could seriously damage it.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6510|N. Ireland
cospengle
+140|6504|Armidale, NSW, Australia
A good (easy anyway) way to tell if it's to do with case cooling is take the side off. If you still get high temps then you need to look at the heatsink/fan.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6638|London, England
Yeah, take off the side. That's what I do. Also, don't keep it on the ground (if it is) - try to raise it (put it on a table or something)

Clean out all dust and stuff too, use compressed air + careful use of a vacuum cleaner.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6637|Mhz

3 words, Antec Nine Hundred. Taking the side if is retarded and anyone who has done anything remotly associated with cooling will know that, as it means air goes in the front then out the side without actually cooling anything. Just sort your air flow so you have negative air pressure inside your case (more going out than in) as that elimiates 'dead spots' where warm air builds up, most people make the mistake of having more going in than out.

Water cooling is plain pointless unless you're going for more than 3.7GHz on your CPU. Get a proper case, and a decent CPU cooler (and make sure you install it properly, no slapping in on uncleaned).
cospengle
+140|6504|Armidale, NSW, Australia

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Taking the side if is retarded and anyone who has done anything remotly associated with cooling will know that, as it means air goes in the front then out the side without actually cooling anything.
Well it worked for me.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6637|Mhz

If your temps dropped when you took the side off it means your air flow was so poor you were just moving air around inside the case, it's really not a clever thing to do in any seriously thaught out rig.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6369|uk

cospengle wrote:

Taking the side if is retarded and anyone who has done anything remotly associated with cooling will know that, as it means air goes in the front then out the side without actually cooling anything.
Well it worked for me.
It shouldn't be done

It fucks around with the little, and insufficient air flow you previously had.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
What several people above have said about airflow and case-sides is absolutely right.

Regarding the temp of his CPU - it's hot, but it's not hideously hot - again, as several people have said - sorting the air-flow will probably sort the problem.

This is why I asked for a photo of the inside of case - we need to see what he has/hasn't got going for him in terms of case layout, fans, cabling, drives, video-card, cpu, etc, etc...

fatmarik: if you can upload a photo, we'll be able to give you much more specific advice.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6763

Pictures of my new comp: Note how you route the wiring to through the back of your case. I have the same e6600 processor, and its running at 3.4GHz with 33C temperature. Your processor is running way hot. How much Vcore are you giving it? Do you have an aftermarket cooler? Don't overclock it on a default intel cooler unless you want it to be hot!

The case is the Antec P182, I installed the optional fans. So there is 5 120mm fans. Most running on medium and some running on high. I have an 8800 GTS which is hotter then your 7900 - so I suggest checking your cabling, to see if its obscuring your fans. Install the additional fans in your case, and install a better CPU cooler. Using Arctic Silver 5 will help lower your CPU temp 5-10C. Make sure you clean off the old stuff with Arctic Cleaner - it has rave reviews, and I can confirm it worked for my rig.

So about your $120 bucks. Spend (in Canadian dollars) $9 for AS5, $12 for Arctic Cleaner Kit, $40 for 2x Antec Tricool or 2x Scythe/Panaflo fans, and get an aftermarket CPU cooler like $60 thermalright ultra extreme 120 + $20 Scythe/Panaflow fan. That'll run you about $150 and problem solved. Inexpensive watercooling is never going to be as inexpensive as air. With the heat towers (like the ultra e 120) you will get near water cooling performance, and often better than water cooling performance if you go with a cheaper water kit.

https://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9769/lumixlz3082lb3.jpg
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/297/lumixlz3083nz7.jpg
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2865/lumixlz3084qe3.jpg
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/2451/lumixlz3087wx3.jpg
https://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3199/lumixlz3091ri7.jpg
https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8796/lumixlz3096rm4.jpg
https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4057/lumixlz3097tu4.jpg
https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6517/lumixlz3110mc7.jpg
https://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3726/lumixlz3113yp2.jpg
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)
Wow. Teh P180 is an even sweeter case than I thought it was.
fatmarik
Ok so i opened up my pc and checked the wiring and none of it is blocking the fans, well first i had my case on the right side of the table where the air intake was being blocked and i soon moved it to the inside where the air could go through and my temp only went down a couple of degrees, and i did buy 1 120mm fan and 1 80mm fan for my case and my temp for gfx went down to 53 c, cpu 61c, and my mobo to 22c. Also i am gonna take your guys advice on buying better fans for the cpu and gfx card, and thx for all the help u guys give +1 for everyone
Scorpion0x17
+691|6783|Cambridge (UK)

fatmarik wrote:

Ok so i opened up my pc and checked the wiring and none of it is blocking the fans, well first i had my case on the right side of the table where the air intake was being blocked and i soon moved it to the inside where the air could go through and my temp only went down a couple of degrees, and i did buy 1 120mm fan and 1 80mm fan for my case and my temp for gfx went down to 53 c, cpu 61c, and my mobo to 22c. Also i am gonna take your guys advice on buying better fans for the cpu and gfx card, and thx for all the help u guys give +1 for everyone
CPU at 61c is OK.

You could probably get it down lower, with new fans/heatsinks, but your entering 'diminishing returns' territory.

Someone suggested getting some Artic Silver goop - this would probably be the next thing I'd try - you get more than enough in one tube to do numerous CPUs and heatsinks - so you could test it out on your stock CPU fan/heatsink and then still have some spare if you do decide to get a replacement - also get a good, residue free, alcohol based solvent - take your heatsink and fan off your CPU and give them both a good clean with the solvent (be a little carefull with the CPU as you don't want to damage or scratch it) - when you're sure they're both absolutely clean, goop some Arctic Silver on, as per the instructions, refit your heatsink/fan and away you go - as whoever it was, you could get upto a 5c drop just from this alone!
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6637|Mhz

@Zen
Wish there was space to run cables like that in my Nine Hundred, cable management is the only down side to that case.

I wont ask why there's toilet roll by your bed

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-06-27 10:38:08)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6773|Scotland

@Zen
Wish there was space to run cables like that in my Nine Hundred, cable management is the only down side to that case.

I wont ask why there's toilet roll by your bed
2 downsides actually.

That and the positioning of the PSU. It crams all the CPI slots above it and isn't too good for airflow if you want a different cooler on your GFX.

I'm getting this http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607381 and a 92mm fan with that and it may just squeeze above the PSU. I will just have to see.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

fatmarik wrote:

CPU at 61c is OK.

You could probably get it down lower, with new fans/heatsinks, but your entering 'diminishing returns' territory.

Someone suggested getting some Artic Silver goop - this would probably be the next thing I'd try - you get more than enough in one tube to do numerous CPUs and heatsinks - so you could test it out on your stock CPU fan/heatsink and then still have some spare if you do decide to get a replacement - also get a good, residue free, alcohol based solvent - take your heatsink and fan off your CPU and give them both a good clean with the solvent (be a little carefull with the CPU as you don't want to damage or scratch it) - when you're sure they're both absolutely clean, goop some Arctic Silver on, as per the instructions, refit your heatsink/fan and away you go - as whoever it was, you could get upto a 5c drop just from this alone!
CPU at 61C is NOT OK. If that's the highest it ever goes under massive sustained load, then maybe, possibly. Any temperature above 60C is too hot for a C2D.

Get the Intel Thermal Analysis tool (if you haven't already) and load test your CPUs with that (gives nice accurate reading - if it works, which it usually does). If, when both cores are under 100% load and have been for 15 minutes or thereabouts, your temps exceed 60C - you need to either clock down your CPU or add better cooling or risk SEVERELY limiting the CPUs lifespan.

Get a big CPU fan, some proper thermal paste (make sure to apply it properly and clean the surfaces properly first - you only want to use a tiny amount of paste, a really tiny amount), then you'll be ok. Till then run at stock speeds.

Your GPU is not even getting close to being too hot, no need to worry about that.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-06-27 10:50:26)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6637|Mhz

Erm the gap is like 8 inchs to my graphics card, and about 6 inchest to my sound card lol, doesnt even come close to interfearing with cooling, my 30-40*c OCd x1950 is testament to that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard