Grocery_Store
+3|6169
This question's been burning in me since I BF2... Is it more beneficial to play the game realistically or just try to "pwn?" 

By "realistically," I mean:
-Cherish every life, cautiously move throughout the city, countryside
-Use cover, move tactically, conserve ammo
-Take unorthodox routes to avoid the bottlenecks and major fighting

By "pwn," I mean:
-Jump around, tossing grenades, crouching and laying down in mid-air...constantly
-Run straight at an entire squad as a sniper, anticipating to kill all of them
-Etc...Etc...You guys know what I mean

In my experiences, with the amount of time I usually allot myself during the week, it's usually better for me to play a more realistic style.  I find that I end up staying alive longer, and thus giving myself more opportunities to acquire points and help my team...

Just wondering what everyone's take on this question was...seeing as how you all are probably more experienced with the game.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6849
whatever gets you the most respect, and puts you at the top of the leaderboard. heh
Cobra4545
Jizz in my pants
+54|6487|Vancouver, USA
Its sometimes fun to play realistically, but I would rather pwn
If I have alot of time to play during the day, than I will play a more realistic style.  But if I am short on time and am only able to get a couple of rounds in, then I point whore big time.  I always want to be productive.
agent146
+127|6395|Jesus Land aka Canada
to me: realisitc = flankinging and taking the enemy by surpised. or having your squad causing hell in enemy territory with the squad leader hiding in a bush
pwnage = playing on karkand with g36e/ak101 and medic whoring 100 points while just sticking at hotel flag.
overall,  i think pwnage get you more points (if you can actually pwn). realisitc is a just a good, cool, and recommend style to look at atleast ONCE in ones bf2 career.

Last edited by agent146 (2007-06-19 21:17:39)

Grocery_Store
+3|6169

agent146 wrote:

to me: realisitc = flankinging and taking the enemy by surpised. or having your squad causing hell in enemy territory with the squad leader hiding in a bush
pwnage = playing on karkand with g36e/ak101 and medic whoring 100 points while just sticking at hotel flag.
overall,  i think pwnage get you more points (if you can actually pwn). realisitc is a just a good, cool, and recommend style to look at atleast ONCE in ones bf2 career.
Yeah, I totally agree, I feel like I'm getting more out of the game when I play realistically.  I walk away feeling like I accomplished something...virtually.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6638|Washington, DC

I find that Agent's "pwnage" style will net a higher score, while his realistic approach nets a higher KDR.

I personally like the 'realistic' approach; keeping your distance, playing it safe, sticking with medics. I've been more of a KDR guy lately; it's amazing what keeping your cool and some thinking can do to a guy's KDR.
Grocery_Store
+3|6169

Hurricane wrote:

I find that Agent's "pwnage" style will net a higher score, while his realistic approach nets a higher KDR.

I personally like the 'realistic' approach; keeping your distance, playing it safe, sticking with medics. I've been more of a KDR guy lately; it's amazing what keeping your cool and some thinking can do to a guy's KDR.
That's what I've been thinking, I don't want to be that guy who is almost robotic... <Throw grenade here. Jump, Crouch, Jump, Lay-Down. Unload whole clip here. Throw grenade here>

I'd rather be the guy who thinks like... <Oh damn, they're holding this bridge pretty well, if I bring my squad through the river, I'll be able to flank them and take the flag.>
zomghaxor
Banned
+12|6205|h4X city , Qc / Trojan
I have to say that i think a little bit like you grocery guy but i play the PWn way... So i end up the with the gold medal and the best k:d... Its just to be intelligent and know how the other player are going to play... Its so easy sometimes but sometime good players come to the server and then you got to take the mighty G36e or maybe your best buddy the f2000 and its son the GL with the cousin Flashbang   

having fun late at night with you G's  !!
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6502|Sydney, Australia

Grocery_Store wrote:

This question's been burning in me since I BF2... Is it more beneficial to play the game realistically or just try to "pwn?" 

By "pwn," I mean:
-Jump around, tossing grenades, crouching and laying down in mid-air...constantly

In my experiences, with the amount of time I usually allot myself during the week, it's usually better for me to play a more realistic style.  I find that I end up staying alive longer, and thus giving myself more opportunities to acquire points and help my team...

Just wondering what everyone's take on this question was...seeing as how you all are probably more experienced with the game.
You need to play for another 21 seconds exactly.
Grocery_Store
+3|6169

Vub wrote:

Grocery_Store wrote:

By "pwn," I mean:

You need to play for another 21 seconds exactly.
Lol, I have...but unfortunately, my stats haven't updated for forever, and we all know why...I NEED THOSE 120 PT ROUNDS I JUST HAD!!!!!!
ToughGuy#3
+2|6166
I just started playing the game and pretty much get throttled, but I was with this one squad that executed a perfect flanking manuever and it was pretty cool to be a part of that. I just switched over from playing Call of Duty: United Offensive which is pretty much a "Pwnage" style of play, so the realistic way seems more fun to me. It's like Gary Busey says, "TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More."
R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6494|Melbourne

in BF2 i play "pwnage" style.  For Reality (which is most of the time) i play Project Reality.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Vub
The Power of Two

ToughGuy#3 wrote:

I just started playing the game and pretty much get throttled, but I was with this one squad that executed a perfect flanking manuever and it was pretty cool to be a part of that. I just switched over from playing Call of Duty: United Offensive which is pretty much a "Pwnage" style of play, so the realistic way seems more fun to me. It's like Gary Busey says, "TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More."
Yes, team work can be fun and allows your side to win. Unfortunately, this being a computer game, the rewards of winning aren't that great, and so most people play to escape the monotony of every day life, I mean when can you go head on into a squad of guys and lay down a claymore and be counted as sane?

Join a clan if you like squad play, but on most public servers, you'll only find guys who care about stats and nothing more.
David.P
Banned
+649|6282
Pwnage style. I took a break from it to play PR and now my pwnage has greatly improved.(Not because i play Reality all the time, I put my gun on single shot)
agent146
+127|6395|Jesus Land aka Canada

Grocery_Store wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

That's what I've been thinking, I don't want to be that guy who is almost robotic... <Throw grenade here. Jump, Crouch, Jump, Lay-Down. Unload whole clip here. Throw grenade here>

I'd rather be the guy who thinks like... <Oh damn, they're holding this bridge pretty well, if I bring my squad through the river, I'll be able to flank them and take the flag.>
lol yes trust me i know my pwnage style will net a higher score but yes its too robotic: shock pads out, revive dead mec buddy, switch back to medic bag, run with my tail between my legs; rinse and repeat for the entire round and net a 100 points and a gold medal while
a hotshot sniper (who does not claymore spam) with a kill of 33 and a death of 3  with a silver medeal bi#$% at me for "medic whoring" ....in which it was... .
EDIT: the only reason why i want points quickly is becuase i want all my unlocks; after that i will play most of the time "realistic" style

Last edited by agent146 (2007-06-19 22:16:37)

Grocery_Store
+3|6169

Vub wrote:

ToughGuy#3 wrote:

Yes, team work can be fun and allows your side to win. Unfortunately, this being a computer game, the rewards of winning aren't that great, and so most people play to escape the monotony of every day life, I mean when can you go head on into a squad of guys and lay down a claymore and be counted as sane?

Join a clan if you like squad play, but on most public servers, you'll only find guys who care about stats and nothing more.
Unfortunately this is true...which is somewhat baffling to me, the way the game is set up...If you squad up as a whole, it's much easier to consistently post good scores, and basically obliterate the other team.  I guess it's a testament to the age of a lot of gamers these days... Not old enough to understand the quickest, most efficient way to Win... Even if it was developed over a few years and released under the title "Battlefield 2"
tthf
Member 5307
+210|6765|06-01

Hurricane wrote:

took the damn words of out of my damn mouth...
play realistically as a sniper, much lower SPM, higher KDR! and spot spot spot!
thats your role!
pj666
+16|6374|Sydney, Australia
Mixture of the 2. I enjoy it more when you play teamwork and sensible. I focus on winning the game for the team, not scoring points. If you have a good game that way, you also tend to get a good score.

Having said that, if I can exploit the loopholes in the game when I have to I will. E.g potting guys as they respawn because you know where they will pop out, or bunny hopping because I got caught out in the open.

The extreme pwng stuff, like putting a clay in front of a squad, doesn't even occur to me most of the time because I am thinking of it as a game reflecting real combat, not a game and that's it.

Clearly I have played too much paintball.... old habits die hard.
PsychoKillers
Walking Sniper, Hidden Claymore
+11|6612
What annoys me is Grenade artillery and every freaking resupply guy behind them. That pisses me off. They should know that one well placed grenade does the trick like mine did.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6471|meh-land
mixture
I will sometimes flank, sometimes rush in headfirst and just own
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6774|Cambridge (UK)

Blehm98 wrote:

mixture
I will sometimes flank, sometimes rush in headfirst and just own
Pw.Sultan
+15|6487|NC
mix of both.. i like to play realistically but i almost always do some smart pwnage play.. dont do stupid shit and expect to kill 5 people with one clip but u want to be in the mix to get lots of points.. another good point that noone seems to understand is if u cap abunch of flags at the beginning and pin them it leads to many more kills later.. getting in there and just killing and setting yourself up to be able to do it well is something a lot of people dont get. Half the time im playing matches now so pubbing gets to be annoying unless im with abunch of good people or my clan.
Ssandstorm
+73|6742|Perth, Western Australia

Vub wrote:

Unfortunately, this being a computer game, the rewards of winning aren't that great, and so most people play to escape the monotony of every day life, I mean when can you go head on into a squad of guys and lay down a claymore and be counted as sane?
When Ssandstorm does it?

P.S. 555555
Vub
The Power of Two

Ssandstorm wrote:

Vub wrote:

Unfortunately, this being a computer game, the rewards of winning aren't that great, and so most people play to escape the monotony of every day life, I mean when can you go head on into a squad of guys and lay down a claymore and be counted as sane?
When Ssandstorm does it?

P.S. 555555
Haha, but you don't get 46039 chances at life either

Last edited by Vub (2007-06-19 23:03:30)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6527|Adelaide, South Australia

Grocery_Store wrote:

Whaddaya mean, 'anticipating'? It never fails!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard