Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

Two things, we have seen DX10 performance in a number of games now and it is poor. The 8600GT is completely incapable of producing playable frame rates in DX10, so the fact it is a DX10 card is beside the point. The fact is that a 7950GT, which is cheaper than a 8600GTS, is much quicker and a much better buy, as is the X1950 Pro.

Don't get a 8600GT, it's a very poor purchase.
spacebandit72
Dead Meat
+121|6773|Michigan
Hmm, I have a 7300 512mb, 3gb ram, and Vista. I can run bf2 with everything on high. What's the prob?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

spacebandit72 wrote:

Hmm, I have a 7300 512mb, 3gb ram, and Vista. I can run bf2 with everything on high. What's the prob?
lol

At what FPS?
I've run BF2 on a 7300GS, it performed very badly. Runs fine on low. On a 7600GT it'll run nicely with most settings on high. On 7900s and above BF2 runs perfectly. But BF2 is not the issue, BF2 is not a very demanding game.
gsxrpilot
+6|6692|Cincinnati, Oh
Wow, there is alot of BS being spewed in this thread by people who most likely don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

Those of you that say the ATI X1600 series cards would probably run ok w/ everything set on low or medium, I ask you, How does my X1600 Pro 512Mb run everything on high w/ no less than 50 fps at a resolution of 1440x900??

Either your systems are garbage, or you need to do some tweaking.  I'm running a system that I built myself (AMD64 X2 4800+, 2Gigs ram, and my x1600 Pro), and I don't have a single issue.  I don't overclock either.  The way a card performs isn't just based on the card itself.  There are tons of other variables that come into play here, and I suggest for those of you who like to say a card is "low-end", do some research before you post up your mindless drivel that has no thought behind it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

gsxrpilot wrote:

Wow, there is alot of BS being spewed in this thread by people who most likely don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

Those of you that say the ATI X1600 series cards would probably run ok w/ everything set on low or medium, I ask you, How does my X1600 Pro 512Mb run everything on high w/ no less than 50 fps at a resolution of 1440x900??

Either your systems are garbage, or you need to do some tweaking.  I'm running a system that I built myself (AMD64 X2 4800+, 2Gigs ram, and my x1600 Pro), and I don't have a single issue.  I don't overclock either.  The way a card performs isn't just based on the card itself.  There are tons of other variables that come into play here, and I suggest for those of you who like to say a card is "low-end", do some research before you post up your mindless drivel that has no thought behind it.
OK, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Average FPS for an x1600 Pro in BF2 set to all highs and at that resolution should be around 25-30FPS. Completely unacceptable for gaming. The X1600 is of a similar speed to a 6600GT, which runs the game quite nicely on low/medium.

If you get 50FPS at those settings on an x1600 Pro, then good for you, no one else does, so I believe you're mistaken. 50FPS average is too low anyway.

No amount of tweaking will have any serious impact on a GPUs performance (except OCing it). Your mindless rant does little but show up how little you know about the subject matter.
sniperintheopen23
+6|6231
To solve your problem and end this. Just buy an Alienware.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

sniperintheopen23 wrote:

To solve your problem and end this. Just buy an Alienware.
Don't buy an Alienware. There are few better ways to waste your money.
sniperintheopen23
+6|6231
Alienware Computer.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6799|Hell, p.o box 666

Bertster7 wrote:

The fact is that a 7950GT, which is cheaper than a 8600GTS, is much quicker and a much better buy, as is the X1950 Pro.
How much stores offer 7950GT´s atm? Well I found two stores, an MSI and an XFX, those cards are around 250€. A 8600GTS is 210€, a 8600GT is 109€

And the 8600GTS isnt made to equal the 79** series cards or ATI´s X19** cards, it´s the follow up of the 6600, 7600, nothing more, nothing less. Dont compare apples with pears.

Bertster7 wrote:

gsxrpilot wrote:

OK, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Average FPS for an x1600 Pro in BF2 set to all highs and at that resolution should be around 25-30FPS. Completely unacceptable for gaming. The X1600 is of a similar speed to a 6600GT, which runs the game quite nicely on low/medium.

If you get 50FPS at those settings on an x1600 Pro, then good for you, no one else does, so I believe you're mistaken. 50FPS average is too low anyway.

No amount of tweaking will have any serious impact on a GPUs performance (except OCing it). Your mindless rant does little but show up how little you know about the subject matter.
What Berster said!

And if you run everything on high, including AF and AA with your X1600pro (low end, oh wait a FX5900XT is slower, true) I call bullshit. My old X2 4800+, 4 gigs ram and a 7900GTX 512MB didnt even run BF2 all maxxed in 1200x960. So again, thanks for your mindless rant. Bullshit!

sniperintheopen23 wrote:

Alienware Computer.
oh my god, it´s so expensive it must be the bestest computarz around! Well, one of my systems hasnt too much trouble to outrun a 4.000€ Alienware system, oh have I mentioned my system was only around 2.000€
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

Sl4y3r wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

The fact is that a 7950GT, which is cheaper than a 8600GTS, is much quicker and a much better buy, as is the X1950 Pro.
How much stores offer 7950GT´s atm? Well I found two stores, an MSI and an XFX, those cards are around 250€. A 8600GTS is 210€, a 8600GT is 109€

And the 8600GTS isnt made to equal the 79** series cards or ATI´s X19** cards, it´s the follow up of the 6600, 7600, nothing more, nothing less. Dont compare apples with pears.
Maybe not in Europe, but in the UK lots of retailers are offering them and the later 7 series cards at a lower price are far more attractive than low/mid range 8 series cards.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … subcat=912

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu … subcat=328

Maybe it is comparing apples with pears, but pricewise they are very much in the same bracket. Price is the most important factor, not what series of card they are.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6369|Australia

Snake wrote:

Woah. You guys know what you are talking about !

Well, im looking at a different PC now...comes with this one:
768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX
Sweeeeet. Max settings, max res, and massive frame counts.

So it's a pre-built one? I suggest you build it yourself. Do the research, shop around, and save yourself some cash. Even if you're not confident putting together several thousand dollars worth of computer parts by yourself, you can always buy the parts, then take it to a shop and have them put it together for you. It might cost extra for the labour, but you will probably still come out with money saved, and you'll have your own personalised PC.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with buying a pre-build case - it's faster, easier, and you have a store warrenty to fall back on if anything screws up.
If you do decide to build your own, you can always ask for ideas here. I'm sure if once everyone finishes their DX10/8***/X1***/windows flamewar, they'll be happy to help out.
Slayer
---hates you

Yeah, as the OP decided to buy a 8800GTX, I guess there is no need for this topic anymore.

And some salt for the wound: X16*0 is teh suck! End of the line--------------------------------------------------------->.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6624|SE London

Sl4y3r wrote:

Yeah, as the OP decided to buy a 8800GTX, I guess there is no need for this topic anymore.
QFT.
Slayer
---hates you

/win

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard