Poll

Which video cards should I get?

2x nvidia 7800 gtx 51276%76% - 23
2x radeon x1900 51223%23% - 7
Total: 30
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6701
So heres the question. I have 2 geforce 7800 gtx 512s on order but they havent shipped yet, because of the massive inventory backorder (ive been waiting since the end of december). However, the x1900 is due to release tomorrow, and theyre pretty much the same price. The vendor tells me theyd be happy to substitute my order, but im not sure which cards are better.

On the one hand, the x1900 scores better on benchmarks, and the crossfire setup is more adaptable from what i read. On the other hand, nvidia seems to be... lets say "better" at being in the video card bussiness. So what are your opinions?
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6676|Planet Seibertron ;)
In all honesty, I cannot give you a definite answer to that.  My gut feeling is to go with the GeForce setup.  But then there's also the 7900 card that's slated to be released soon.  I really dunno what'll be better since you got a lot more money to spend than I can ever dream of.
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6787
I would go for the X1900XTE's, they are much superior from what I have read, and perform much better than most cards out there.  Just like the X1800 which was the equivilant and much better than the 7800GTX, the X1900 is supossed to out perform in every area.  Its suppossed to be 3 times as powerful as some of the leading cards but I dont know if thats true or not.

By the way, how much did you find them for?
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6701
I bought them with my computer, I paid about 650 bucks a piece for them.
The computer company shipped my computer with a free geforce 6200 so i wouldnt have to wait.
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6787
*whistles* wow, now thats expensive! Dont suppose you want to lend me your computer eh?
ST19AG_WGreymon
+5|6741|Clinton, MD, USA
The ATI cards do better in benchmarks, but the Nvidia 7800s do better in games. So unless you're going to be playing benchmarks, I'd say go with the Nvidia cards.

Last edited by ST19AG_WGreymon (2006-01-23 15:13:59)

Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6806|Portland, OR, USA

I'd say buy a single of the next generation. Dual cards are really overrated.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6672
I have 2 7800's and the setup is so much over kill.... it's great.  Be patient, all good things come to those who wait, and trust me, this is no exception!
razz
+7|6682|Australia
I voted SLi Nvidia, but im an Nvidia fan, my suggestion is don't buy anything until they release their 7900 series. Now that series will have some serious sex appeal.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6771|AUS, Canberra
id wait for 7800's

its a proven fact that they rock
Maj.Do
+85|6752|good old CA
7900s ...7800s are already out fella,  just wait for the 7900 and see if the x1900XTX can compete
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
nvidia is better at gaming while ATI is better for graphics processing like websites, bench marks etc
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6822
Do you have or are you going to get a Crossfire ready MB?
If no then 2 1900 would not be very useful to you as they will not work
emperorphoenix
+5|6775|Westeren Australia
go with the 7800gtx's cause ati suck and crossfire fails
psychotoxic187
+11|6710

ST19AG_WGreymon wrote:

The ATI cards do better in benchmarks, but the Nvidia 7800s do better in games. So unless you're going to be playing benchmarks, I'd say go with the Nvidia cards.
This makes no sense at all. Anyways get the 2 ATI, no matter what any of these fanboys say. ATI does not suck, here look at this review of the new ATI's, and look at the comparison pictures, ATI has superior graphics, and perform better.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2679
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
I'd like to also suggest cross-referencing the GTX 512 SLI numbers with those to get a better overall picture to the performance differences between the two.  The AnandTech link only had numbers (at first glance) on the Crossfire X1900 setup so for those viewing and reading, they'll only see one half of the extreme.
psychotoxic187
+11|6710

sixshot wrote:

I'd like to also suggest cross-referencing the GTX 512 SLI numbers with those to get a better overall picture to the performance differences between the two.  The AnandTech link only had numbers (at first glance) on the Crossfire X1900 setup so for those viewing and reading, they'll only see one half of the extreme.
As I said, ATI is oerforming better, and heres another link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/24/ … pipelines/
Maj.Do
+85|6752|good old CA

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

nvidia is better at gaming while ATI is better for graphics processing like websites, bench marks etc
that is not true.  fanboys gesh anyways teh x1900XTX beats teh 7800GTx and in SLI vs Crossfire, it is the best card right now but u can wait for the next nvdia if you want
sixshot
Decepticon Geek

psychotoxic187 wrote:

sixshot wrote:

With a link like that, I refuse to believe what's documented there at all.

ATi's latest cards are only performing better due to the fact that it's a new product right now... Considering that the X1800 product is in competition with nVIDIA's 7800GTX, this is a natural result.

A little debunking on the notion that ATi is performing better... let's take into consideration that while some of the benchmark numbers show ATi leading in many of the tests, the margin of victory is small in those handful of tests done.  Also take into consideration that they won using 48 pipelines to accomplish this... if you were to scale that with nVIDIA's hardware, you'll see the difference in which one is more efficient in performing per pixel pipeline.

I'm not saying that NV is still the winner overall.  Right now, it's good to see ATi leading the pack for the moment.  I'll wait until the numbers are in for the GF7900 series and we'll then determine who has the better hardware and factor in the price the hardware sells at to judge for ourselves just who the 3D King for Round 1 of 2006.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6755
Erm... Stick with the 6200 they gave you free & spend the money on... Chocolate! Or a big neon sign for your bedroom wall that says L337?
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6696|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
lmao l33t neon ftw....! o yeah ahem, go with the 7800's
Maj.Do
+85|6752|good old CA

sixshot wrote:

psychotoxic187 wrote:

sixshot wrote:

ATi's latest cards are only performing better due to the fact that it's a new product right now... Considering that the X1800 product is in competition with nVIDIA's 7800GTX, this is a natural result.

A little debunking on the notion that ATi is performing better... let's take into consideration that while some of the benchmark numbers show ATi leading in many of the tests, the margin of victory is small in those handful of tests done.  Also take into consideration that they won using 48 pipelines to accomplish this... if you were to scale that with nVIDIA's hardware, you'll see the difference in which one is more efficient in performing per pixel pipeline.

I'm not saying that NV is still the winner overall.  Right now, it's good to see ATi leading the pack for the moment.  I'll wait until the numbers are in for the GF7900 series and we'll then determine who has the better hardware and factor in the price the hardware sells at to judge for ourselves just who the 3D King for Round 1 of 2006.
Exactly, also dont forget ATi does not have the resources to do reseacrh every 6 months like Nvidia, Nvidia releases new things like more pipelines while ATi releases higher clockspeeds, If ati did SOME reseacrh maybe they could make a high clockspeed 24 pipeline card,
psychotoxic187
+11|6710

Maj.Do wrote:

sixshot wrote:

psychotoxic187 wrote:

Exactly, also dont forget ATi does not have the resources to do reseacrh every 6 months like Nvidia, Nvidia releases new things like more pipelines while ATi releases higher clockspeeds, If ati did SOME reseacrh maybe they could make a high clockspeed 24 pipeline card,
ATi do research? Have you read about their architechture? Sixshot, those are legit benchmarks, against the 7800gtx 512, which is still new hardware, as it's mostly vapourware. These cards are to battle the 7800gtx 512, as Nvidia just wanted them out to claim the crown. It beats nvidia at a cheaper price at that, you cannot debunk any of the benchmarks. So, by your logic you canot compare the x1800xt to the 7800gtx, because ATI is using less pipelines.

I am just surprised at how fanboyish some people are, read about ATI's new architechture, they are always ahead in the way of 3D processing. Do research? Please read the Anandtech article, and then look into unified shaders, as that will be ATI's next baby.
razz
+7|6682|Australia
The 7900 GTX is un-beatable, with 32 pipes and 700-750Mhz clock speed, memory @800-900Mhz, it will pwn anything ati can throw at it. I will buy one as soon as they are released . And mid year i'm going SLi. With these 2 puppies I will lay the smack down of FPS.
psychotoxic187
+11|6710

razz wrote:

The 7900 GTX is un-beatable, with 32 pipes and 700-750Mhz clock speed, memory @800-900Mhz, it will pwn anything ati can throw at it. I will buy one as soon as they are released . And mid year i'm going SLi. With these 2 puppies I will lay the smack down of FPS.
Again, such fanboyism, it's pathetic. ATI is already using 48 pixel processors, and when they go to unified shaders, it will be that much more efficient. ATI will trump them, yet again, this is just the way it is, Nvidia is king, then ATI is king, it will always go back and forth. But, to say Nvidia is the best at games, and the ATI sucks, is pure ignorance. Look at that article, and compare screenshots from Nvidia, and ATI, ATI has the better looking graphics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard