Yes29%29% - 50
No47%47% - 82
What the hell is a Mormon?23%23% - 40
Total: 172
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6335|EsSeX

ATG wrote:

It is so insulting when people refer to the Mormons as a cult. How many millions of members and billions in holdings do you have to have before you graduate from the " cult " catagory?
If that is in reply to this

elstonieo wrote:

they seem just like any other cult/religion to me
other than putting the cult/religion slash the other way, how did I in any way Insult YOU by typing that line

surely that line of text could be put next to Any Religion/cult
dubbs
+105|6629|Lexington, KY

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

dubbs wrote:

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Yes, considering that the official name of the church is "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints". Churches that worship Christ = Christian, no matter what you think of their methods.
There is a difference.  Just saying you are the Church of Jesus Christ, does not mean you follow his teachings.  I could create a church called Church of Jesus Christ of Scientology, and try to prove that Jesus was Hubbert.  Does this mean that the church is Christian, no. 

Mormons, for the most part, do not follow anything in the Bible, they refer to the Book of Mormons, Pearl of Great Price, and the President of the Mormon Church on how to live their life. 

To be a Christian, means to be Christ like, or to follow the teachings of Christ.  The Mormons, do not do this, they follow the teachings of other forefathers in their belief.  Without getting really religious, I could tell you multiple beliefs that Christians believe and Mormons do not and vise versa.

This is coming from someone who according to the Mormons, is still part of the church, since I did not send a letter to the president of the church requesting to leave.  I also have an uncle who is a Mormon.  I was baptized as a Mormon, my cousin did his 2 year missions for the Mormon faith.
No, Mormons use the bible as (and sometimes more) regularly than they use their other books. The LDS even prints them in King James format. Every single missionary group I come in contact with has a bible somewhere on their persons.
They may have the Bible with them, but their beliefs do not come from the Bible.  Trust me, once you become a Mormon, the Book of Mormon is held higher as the belief system then the Bible.  During my entire time at the LDS temple, I was not once told to look at any passage in the Bible, it was always look at the Book of Mormons, or according to the Book of Mormons ..... That is where most of their teachings and such come from.  They use the Bible as a reference to what Jesus did in Israel, but they put little teachings into it.  When I had elders come to my house for studies, they taught from the Book of Mormons, not the Bible.  I only remember once when they spoke about the Bible during these times, and that was just to say how people came to America from Israel.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command

dubbs wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

dubbs wrote:

There is a difference.  Just saying you are the Church of Jesus Christ, does not mean you follow his teachings.  I could create a church called Church of Jesus Christ of Scientology, and try to prove that Jesus was Hubbert.  Does this mean that the church is Christian, no. 

Mormons, for the most part, do not follow anything in the Bible, they refer to the Book of Mormons, Pearl of Great Price, and the President of the Mormon Church on how to live their life. 

To be a Christian, means to be Christ like, or to follow the teachings of Christ.  The Mormons, do not do this, they follow the teachings of other forefathers in their belief.  Without getting really religious, I could tell you multiple beliefs that Christians believe and Mormons do not and vise versa.

This is coming from someone who according to the Mormons, is still part of the church, since I did not send a letter to the president of the church requesting to leave.  I also have an uncle who is a Mormon.  I was baptized as a Mormon, my cousin did his 2 year missions for the Mormon faith.
No, Mormons use the bible as (and sometimes more) regularly than they use their other books. The LDS even prints them in King James format. Every single missionary group I come in contact with has a bible somewhere on their persons.
They may have the Bible with them, but their beliefs do not come from the Bible.  Trust me, once you become a Mormon, the Book of Mormon is held higher as the belief system then the Bible.  During my entire time at the LDS temple, I was not once told to look at any passage in the Bible, it was always look at the Book of Mormons, or according to the Book of Mormons ..... That is where most of their teachings and such come from.  They use the Bible as a reference to what Jesus did in Israel, but they put little teachings into it.  When I had elders come to my house for studies, they taught from the Book of Mormons, not the Bible.  I only remember once when they spoke about the Bible during these times, and that was just to say how people came to America from Israel.
More or less agree with you.
My Dad, a FLDS dude with more than one wife however holds the Bible in higher regard than the LDS.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559
They believe in Christ, they're Christians.  End of story.
dubbs
+105|6629|Lexington, KY

Bubbalo wrote:

They believe in Christ, they're Christians.  End of story.
Islam believes in Chirst, but they are not Christians.  They just do not believe his is the savior.
agent146
+127|6384|Jesus Land aka Canada

jsnipy wrote:

I think southpark summed up the Mormons quite well.
DUMb DUMMMD DEE DUMB DA DUMB!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard