DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America

SargeV1.4 wrote:

an EMP.. bomb. If they even exist. They wouldn't sink the ships per se, but they'd leave em wide open to attack
Look out, the Chinese have had it for years now!
https://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4003/templl5.jpg
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6574|Area 51
An nuke? Or just an entire submarine force.
I_invented_BF2
DICE/EA spokesman
+19|6492|denmark
EMP is not a conventional weapon and are therefore ruled out.
jord
+2,382|6687|The North, beyond the wall.
Blow up it's power supply/engine/control station. Whichever is easiest.
manitobapaintballa
+32|6628
you just need to take out the carrier that is the biggest threat so about 4 - 10 torpedoes and about another 10 harpoon missiles and if that don't sink her she ain't going to be able to fight do to damage control possitions being overloaded and the main deck would be useless
kn0ckahh
+98|6747|netherlands, sweet lake city
james bond and chuck norris

Last edited by kn0ckahh (2007-06-16 12:16:07)

specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills
Aliens!  They would have super powerful lazerz that would be unstoppable!
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6536|Belgium

B-5, I sunk your battleship!
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6709|MoVal So-Cal

Bubbalo wrote:

iamangry wrote:

I don't think the OP meant to include the United States' own weapon systems, because if they did, its a simple matter of sending the B-2's out for a bombing run, then following through with some F-22's and finally just coming in with another carrier group.  But of course I don't know why I'm even saying this, because you're going to come back with some excuse like "it doesn't say only non-american technology in the op" or something like that, and I'll make some reply to the effect of what I just said, only being more deliberate in explaining my logic, and then you'll say something completely off the wall, and then we'll all be sick of arguing semantics with you instead of actually debating, and concede.  So let me make you happy and concede outright.  usmarine's a nutjob, I have no idea what I'm talking about (makes me LOL when it comes to defense tech), you're always right.
Yes, because I certainly wasn't saying that just to point out the obvious fallacy of usmarine's statement.

And a couple of B2s wouldn't make it past a carrier group's air defences.

Pernicious544 wrote:

Bubbalo wrote:

Show me an example of two carrier groups attempting to.

Seriously, you say things like that, then attempt to seriously defend them, and then you wonder why some people consider you a nutjob?
You should think about the word "nutjob" and how it relates to you for a second.
Yes, because I'm absolutely crazy for suggesting that anything but a deity could destroy a carrier group.

If they're so good, why is the US still doing weapons research?
No, you're not a nut job for that, but rather for just being the pessimistic ass that you are. And, I'm not even going to answer your weapons research question because its probably the most retarded question I have seen all day
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6478

One curling stone

https://fatali.servebeer.com/~ilkka/markku.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6456|Boulder, CO

kn0ckahh wrote:

james bond and chuck norris
which bond? I'd say either sean connery or daniel craig. sean connery's cool but Daniel craigs the bad ass bond.
definately not roger moore, he'd end up getting lost somewhere. definately not timothy whatever as he'd fall overboard. and pierce brosnan would just sleep with everyone on board.

EDIT for failure using the english language.

Last edited by Noobeater (2007-06-16 12:25:05)

Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6353|New York
It would probably take a massive attack from an equally sized strike group to defeat an opposing carrier strike group.  A combination of long range cruise missles fired from ships, Exocet anti-ship missles fired from aircraft, and torpedoes fired from attack submarines would all have to be coordinated, have the element of surprise, and a little luck on their side to achieve this goal.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6773
I would bet that if you send a couple of bomber squadrons with jammers in front that some of the missiles would make it through.  just a handful would be enough for the first or second strikes, anti-ship missiles would cause quite a bit of damage and knocking out part of the screen would open the hole. 

Heck, there are probably dozens of ways to take out a Carrier strike group, but for the most part the people on these forums are civilians who know little to nothing about the tatics of modern naval warfare.  I'm a Marine grunt and I know very little of it too, but there are always ways to get around the ultimate defense.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6212
I suppose 3 carrier strike groups would do the trick.

https://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060618-N-8492C-912.jpg
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6723|US
What about that Chinese sub that surfaced near a strike group?  One or two subs could disable/sink the carrier, but wouldn't be able to take out the entire group...so that's a nice suicide mission that would seriously hinder any potential enemy's war fighting ability.  Since the US could simply send 4 more groups, it seems to be a futile idea.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6212

RAIMIUS wrote:

What about that Chinese sub that surfaced near a strike group?  One or two subs could disable/sink the carrier, but wouldn't be able to take out the entire group...so that's a nice suicide mission that would seriously hinder any potential enemy's war fighting ability.  Since the US could simply send 4 more groups, it seems to be a futile idea.
When a sub surfaces like that, it usually means they are having a very bad day. Additionally, I don't think the US wanted to reveal its detection capabilities to the Chinese (and it was the Kitty Hawk--not a Nimitz carrier).

Last edited by Cerpin_Taxt (2007-06-16 14:00:27)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6489|Somewhere else

A few dozen Jihad speed boats. 

Yes, I am being serious.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6212

RoosterCantrell wrote:

A few dozen Jihad speed boats. 

Yes, I am being serious.
There's already a fix in progress for that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protector_USV

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/NAVY_USV_Protector_Left_lg.jpg

I saw this thing on Future Weapons on the Discovery channel today. Pretty badass.
samfink
+31|6564
simple- TWO carrier groups should be able to defeat one carrier group. then beat the next group, etc.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
I've always thought. Is inflatable rubber boats really smart for a bullet-rich environment?
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6212

Mekstizzle wrote:

I've always thought. Is inflatable rubber boats really smart for a bullet-rich environment?
Polyurethane is bulletproof.
specops10-4
+108|6752|In the hills

Mekstizzle wrote:

Either they are non inflated, and just solid rubber or some other material that would provide buoyancy, while still being bullet proof.
agent146
+127|6395|Jesus Land aka Canada

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Jihad-dolphins
even better.....italian frog men....
herrr_smity
+156|6637|space command ur anus

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

When a sub surfaces like that, it usually means they are having a very bad day. Additionally, I don't think the US wanted to reveal its detection capabilities to the Chinese (and it was the Kitty Hawk--not a Nimitz carrier).
so they just let a potential treat to come close to the carrier group, in my book thats just stupid
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6212

herrr_smity wrote:

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

so they just let a potential treat to come close to the carrier group, in my book thats just stupid
In all fairness, World War 3 would've broken out had the carrier group destroyed that sub.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard