CommieChipmunk
+488|6572|Portland, OR, USA
...something about a conscience or some worthless part of human evolution.

However:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975133/

"Stress disorders up dramatically in last 18 months,  affecting 1/3 of vets"

If our leaders are going to ship kids off to war, they need to step up to the plate and deal with the consequences.  Most people can't just go kill another human being without having some mental side effect.

I heard a report on the radio today which said that roughly 49% of national guards men and 33% of marines report some kind of PTSD.  It went on to say that that statistic is probably off by a considerable amount due to the stigma associated with PTSD in the military today and the fact that not very many go in for treatment...

Do any of the vets in here have any issues with PTSD, all of the vets who came into my Vietnam class had it to some degree, we had to warn one guy about the bell going off inbetween classes because it could send him into a flash back.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6831|Denver colorado

That makes me sad.

people cant just be in the military and go back like nothing changed. the military lifestyle is really a lifestyle.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

I can speak for myself.  I am fine.  No nightmares or anything like that.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6572|Portland, OR, USA

usmarine2005 wrote:

That's good to hear, some veterans go through some scary shit, I've heard around 150,000 Vietnam vets have taken their own lives..

http://www.capveterans.com/caprd_004.htm
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6573|USA

usmarine2005 wrote:

yeah but you're nuts.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6489|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
I have PTSD and didn't say anything about it until a year later because I thought it would be a stigma, but now because of it, it gets me qualed for jobs easier. lol

Edit: About 1mo after I got back all I did was drink and get into fights over stupid shit, i.e. someone talking loud, or laughing too loud. In 4mo I drank away over 6k

Last edited by SgtHeihn (2007-06-15 20:00:14)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

usmarine2005 wrote:

me too.  although when I first came back it took me a while to get a good sleep pattern started.  id find myself in odd hours of the night driving around alone in my car.  i couldnt stand staying at one place for too long.  that ended real fast after i started school.  ive always had a temper and if anything Ive come back able to control it better.  we had some guys with issues back in iraq, when they started showing signs of hesitation or being a pussy they were promptly put in the rear with gear babysitting haji.  if its something a soldier cant handle, its encouraged, for the most part, that they are removed from that particular situation giving them stress...but fuck man, what do you think is gonna happen during combat, ya know.  its a pretty stressful environment for even the coolest cats out there.

marine will agree with me on this:  radio etiquette flies out the window when you recieve first contact.  a whole lot of emotion and a whole lot adrenaline and a whole lot of screaming.  for most of us, thats exactly whats neccessary to survive that environment.

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2007-06-15 20:01:35)

Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I have an uncle who served in Vietnam.  the guy behind him stepped on a mine and was vaporized.  he took shrapnel in the legs and back.  He's been dealing with PTSD for 40 years.  he's cool but he's the first one to admit that the war changed him for the worse.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

marine will agree with me on this:  radio etiquette flies out the window when you recieve first contact.  a whole lot of emotion and a whole lot adrenaline and a whole lot of screaming.  for most of us, thats exactly whats neccessary to survive that environment.
I heard a playback of me calling in contact....I couldn't even understand myself.  Except for the word fuck, which was used like very other word.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

CommieChipmunk wrote:

...something about a conscience or some worthless part of human evolution.

However:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14975133/

"Stress disorders up dramatically in last 18 months,  affecting 1/3 of vets"

If our leaders are going to ship kids off to war, they need to step up to the plate and deal with the consequences.  Most people can't just go kill another human being without having some mental side effect.

I heard a report on the radio today which said that roughly 49% of national guards men and 33% of marines report some kind of PTSD.  It went on to say that that statistic is probably off by a considerable amount due to the stigma associated with PTSD in the military today and the fact that not very many go in for treatment...

Do any of the vets in here have any issues with PTSD, all of the vets who came into my Vietnam class had it to some degree, we had to warn one guy about the bell going off inbetween classes because it could send him into a flash back.
Interesting points...  Do you know what the first thing is that you feel after you kill an innocent civilian?  ...the recoil of your weapon....

But yeah....  I can imagine that killing people (innocent or not) has got to be "stressful" to say the least.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
I made the mistake of driving home from base the night I got back... I drove in the middle of the road and was constantly changing lanes going about 90, I wouldn't let a car get next to me. 

I had one hell of a time getting my sleep pattern back, because in I had those tractor trailer size generators right next to my hooch. I was used to the humm, when I didn't hear any noise I was wide awake and ready to spring.

Oh about radio etiquette, we actually got yelled at for swearing on the radio when we got ambushed, some Maj from 2/7 got on the radio and started chewing use out for not following radio procedure, he kept going until our S3 Officer snatched the handset away from him and gave us re-act Plt commander
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

SgtHeihn wrote:

I made the mistake of driving home from base the night I got back... I drove in the middle of the road and was constantly changing lanes going about 90, I wouldn't let a car get next to me.
hell yeah man.  i was changing lanes without looking at my rearview and i was always fixated on the sides of roads and manholes- any fucking IED prone areas.  but i think  that was more because of the habit not the trauma

SgtHeihn wrote:

I had one hell of a time getting my sleep pattern back, because in I had those tractor trailer size generators right next to my hooch. I was used to the humm, when I didn't hear any noise I was wide awake and ready to spring.
i think that might be my reason too.  I was to accustomed to sleeping on/in/near a running Bradley and the generator wasnt too far from my hooch either.

one thing for sure, I DO NOT shutter at loud sounds.  the second I hear a boom or a pop or some other loud percussion, im instantly trying to judge distance and direction.  thats one skill i dont wanna lose.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

one thing for sure, I DO NOT shutter at loud sounds.
I do.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6396|The Gem Saloon
i dont have any experience in a combat situation, but i have seen something rather unfortunate.

about four years ago, just before i met my wife i was at my shooting range practicing, and a man that had been hanging around for about two hours rented a pistol to shoot. he started shooting and everything was normal, i finished my rounds and was getting ready to leave when i noticed he was down on his knees slumped over in the booth. i walked out and told the guy who was working the range, who in turn walked out to wake him up.

he wasnt sleeping, and in fact had shot himself in the side of the head with a kel-tec .380.
i saw enough to pray to god that i would never need to use a firearm to shoot at someone. in fact, i quit shooting for about three months and had decided not to do it anymore until my wife (then girlfriend) talked me into going again. there was definitely some weird feelings, and a couple weird dreams. i dont really think about it all that much.....there are certain smells that make me want to puke now, but i rarely smell them........i really dont know how you guys can do it...its not something i like to dwell on.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

CommieChipmunk wrote:

It went on to say that that statistic is probably off by a considerable amount due to the stigma associated with PTSD in the military today and the fact that not very many go in for treatment...
Besides which, who knows what kind of drugs they're going to treat you with if you admit to anything.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Ender2309 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

yeah but you're nuts.
Well duh.  What kind of idiot would go through two wars, then get a career in the airline industry?  Crazy bastard.
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6701|NCFSU2
I got screened for it, and tested negative. I still don't sleep very long, however. Still wake up at wierd sounds, and watch everyone around me like a hawk.

So what did I do? Go back into the military. Might as well take advantage of the crazy.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

DeadboyUSMC wrote:

Might as well take advantage of the crazy.
I can get you a job that is just as crazy.
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6701|NCFSU2

usmarine2005 wrote:

DeadboyUSMC wrote:

Might as well take advantage of the crazy.
I can get you a job that is just as crazy.
I'm on my way to becoming a police officer, but thanks for the offer devil!
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6648|Peoria
I have slight PTSD after my dad passed away. I can't imagine what it must be like for some vets.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

usmarine2005 wrote:

Commie was talking about people with a conscience.

The difference in effect between guardsmen and marines is interesting.  Perhaps the National Guard should be talking to marines about how to better take care of their troops.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
I had been back for a couple of months and I was leaving a friends house and came upon a accident where a car had hit 2 bike riders. My girlfriend was a MA so she jumped out to help out, I went over to the the male that had been hit and he was all f@cked up. His arm was broken in like 2 places and he kept trying to get up, I had to hold him down until EMTs got on scene. He was more worried about his wife that was going into seizures 30ft away, I kept talking to him trying to keep him calm even though I was getting his blood all over me. When the paramedics took him away, I walked over to the Sheriffs that were on scene to get some hand sanitizer. they started freaking out about the blood and I was just like, "Oh well, its just blood". I found out a week or so later that the guys died and I just broke down like, I kept thinking if I had only done something more maybe he would be alive. I could never bring myself to go see his wife in the hospital.

Thats when I relized I needed to talk to somebody, I found out that 2 weeks after I left Iraq one of my friends got killed by a IED, then a week after that 2 more of my friends got hit. One died on the spot and my buddy Morrow made it all the way to Germany before he died. I felt like I should have been the one hit not them. In the same attack that got Morrow and Plouhar, our BN SgtMaj lost his eye and the Plt CO was paralized and now only gained 70% mobility back.
http://www.imef.usmc.mil/div/5mar/3bn/Heaven.asp

Edit: The three that died were the last guys I smoked with in Iraq before I got on the 7-ton to go to the LZ to leave.

Last edited by SgtHeihn (2007-06-16 03:40:36)

SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

rdx-fx wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

That makes me sad.

people cant just be in the military and go back like nothing changed. the military lifestyle is really a lifestyle.
Not really.
IMHO, military 'lifestyle' just burns away alot of your delusions about 'fairness' and an orderly world.
Teaches you who you are, with no room for delusions of grandeur or false ego.

In short, it 'burns off the bullshit and blinders'.

Not a bad thing, as long as you can keep it in perspective - and use that in your civilian life.
Don't let it separate you from the rest of the civilians.

As a positive, it can make one alot more even-tempered.
Where some people in an office environment get all red faced and worked up - I'm not going to get bent out of shape.

"So, the TPS reports are missing a cover sheet?  fine, take care of it. Nobody's bleeding, broken, or dying - so there's no reason to get worked into a frenzy about it"  [with due thanks to Office Space]
Thats true man, civilians don't relize how trivial some of their problems are.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6563

SgtHeihn wrote:

Thats true man, civilians don't relize how trivial some of their problems are.
Whereas people who only have to be in mortal fear for their lives for one or two years at a time just have the worst the world can throw at them.  It's not like there's whole countries of starving people, or anything.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6723|Sydney, Australia

SgtHeihn wrote:

Thats when I relized I needed to talk to somebody, I found out that 2 weeks after I left Iraq one of my friends got killed by a IED, then a week after that 2 more of my friends got hit. One died on the spot and my buddy Morrow made it all the way to Germany before he died. I felt like I should have been the one hit not them. In the same attack that got Morrow and Plouhar, our BN SgtMaj lost his eye and the Plt CO was paralized and now only gained 70% mobility back.
http://www.imef.usmc.mil/div/5mar/3bn/Heaven.asp

Edit: The three that died were the last guys I smoked with in Iraq before I got on the 7-ton to go to the LZ to leave.
Dude, that's insane.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard