FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6698|Devon, England
Ok, well I've started to learn, like I said I would, but one thing is annoying me...

Whenever I decide to stand a play the guitar, I have to tilt it upwards a bit, as my hands are small and this helps me reach more. The thing is, if I tilt the guitar upwards, the strap keeps falling off the... Front attachment bit (Dunno the name ). I am pretty sure I've put it on right, it doesn't look hard, but it has started to wear a bit. Saying that though, it did it when I first had it.

So, my question is...

Is there a strap I can fit to my guitar that will stay on the attachment, because one day I'm gonna end up not holding my guitar when it falls, and it's gonna break

(By the way, just to show off/possibly get laughed at by the guitar pros, here's pictures:

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/FFLink13/224016.jpg

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/FFLink13/224027.jpg

https://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c398/FFLink13/224102.jpg

Taken with webcam, so stfu about quality )

And another question...

As you can see from the first picture, my guitar has 4 knobs.

WTF do they do? I'm guessing volumes of the sort, as it changes when I play about with them when it's plugged into an amp... But they ain't labelled.

Cheers, Link.

Last edited by FFLink13 (2007-06-14 09:27:54)

Sniper-UK-Ghost
Ice Lolly Maniac
+30|6242|Bristol
ahah, prob just go to a guitar store as they wont do a shitty job on it
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6496|Gogledd Cymru

i read the title, then read the user and thought it might be to do with strap ons, i didnt see the guitar bit
FFLink
There is.

surgeon_bond wrote:

i read the title, then read the user and thought it might be to do with strap ons, i didnt see the guitar bit
Maybe next time, eh?
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6699|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ … sku=364661

I have one of those for my bass. Works pretty well.
Alone+EasyTarget
+38|6364|From: From: From:
for a permanent answer you can get one of these but this replaces the existing one as you screw it in place

or you can get one of these which just fits over the top

as for the knobs...2 will be for the volume...one for each pickup...and the others will be for tone..again one for each pickup

Last edited by Alone+EasyTarget (2007-06-14 10:50:27)

Ace.O.Lamb
Got Lamb?
+56|6281|Outside your Back window
Play it on your leg, in other words sit down and play thats what i do. Beef
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6568|Australia, NSW
https://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9098/guitar1vp3.jpg

just attach the strap in, and get two washers and a screwdriver and undo the pegs, put the washers on the outside (washers larger than pegs obviously), then screw it back in... then it cant come undone

also, one knob will be volume, two (at a guess) will be the tone, one affecting treble and the other bass (for whichever you have it on). the other i dont know, gain maybe? my fender only has three and the switch

nice first guitar btw
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6664|California
Alright brothers and sisters....

IT'S TIME TO ROCK N ROLL!!!!

As far as the knobs go...

2 are for volume... 1 for each pickup

2 are for tone... 1 for each pickup

Starter tunes...

Smoke on the water - Deep Purple
Livin after midnight - Judas Priest
Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Anything by AC/DC

Rock on dude...
Ryan
+1,230|6850|Alberta, Canada

I think another good starter song might be Time of Your Life by Green Day.
No, I don't listen to them, but that song is actually very good.

I personally don't know anything about guitars, I'm a drummer myself, but that song seems easy to play on both acoustic and electric.

Good luck Link, maybe you can play some Pantera for us one day. (hehe Tayner)
Drax
Paddles/Plane Whore
+28|6568|Australia, NSW
some other easy songs to learn:

Breakfast at tiffany's (deep blue something) - easy, but teaches fast chord changing with added bits using ur little finger etc
About a girl (nivana) - start you off on bar chords and simple chord changing, + an easy solo.
nothing else matters (metallica) - dont worry about the whole song, just learn the beginning bits and do it fingerpicking
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6633|Sea to globally-cooled sea
yeah...anything by green day is easy.

also, some of the old classics are great to learn and easy to play and sound great!  Try learning some beatles and some Eagles!

(my guitar teacher learned on those, so obviously those are the songs I learned on)  lol
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6781|Noizyland

Les Paul copy for your first guitar - me too! Yay! Although I found mine in a junkyard and had to work on it to get it playable.

My first song was an "A" E" version of the chorus of Yellow Submarine. That was when I wasn't serious, my first real song was "Supersystem" by The Feelers.
When learning guitar for the first time, especially electrics, power chords, (5 chords,) are your friends in workin out the easier songs. Later on you can worry about pentatonics so working out lead breaks is easier.

A good sounding song to learn when your beginning is "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters. It's in drop D, but get a tab from Fretplay and it's ridiculously easy, they've got a tutorial there on reading tabs so you should be fine.

I've been playing for five years now and my 'best' song would be "Big Love" by Lindsay Buckingham. It kinda proves that if you're keen you'll get the hang of it really quickly.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Volatile
+252|6711|Sextupling in Empire

To answer the first question:

Get the straplocks like someone else suggested. They're relatively easy to install and you'll never have to worry about the strap falling off ever again.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6723

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

To answer the first question:

Get the straplocks like someone else suggested. They're relatively easy to install and you'll never have to worry about the strap falling off ever again.
I have one and it's great
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6333|England
Buy or "aquire" Guitar Pro as well. This has been a great help to me Also a great website for tabs is http://www.911tabs.com/. You can find practically anything you want on this site. As for the strap thingy, mine does that to, so hopefully when i get my new guitar ( Les Paul Menace), i won't have the same problem.
neon_flux601
+18|6257|Sidahnee Orstrayleeah
^^^ what those guys said about the straplocks and knobs etc...

i don't know if they mentioned it but there is a strap system that have plastic clips that are semi-permanently attached to the guitar and you clip the strap into it - it's kinda like a clip you see on backpacks. Sounds tacky but is actually really durable and doesn't look stupid either.

as for having to lean the guitar back to see what you're playing... maybe just learn the fretboard before you start to play standing up. you shouldn't have to have your neck craned over when you're playing standing up. give it some time, grasshoppah.

if you're just beginning and you want something to learn from get a program called jamorama - it's well paced and has video and jam tracks and it's a really well put together package. it's all web based (download content) and is much cheaper than private lessons - but doesn't have the motivation that private lessons have, so you gotta keep up the discipline!

nice guitar. didn't see the headstock - epiphone? or did you go and spend all your pocket money!

fyi i play a 1984 fender bullet with custom texas special pickups. it is my child.

Last edited by neon_flux601 (2007-06-15 01:42:52)

Alone+EasyTarget
+38|6364|From: From: From:
yeh if your learning it's probably best to sit down because then you'll have a better reach of the frets (depending on how high/low u have ur guitar strap) and you can see the frets/strings easier too.

i found just finding the tabs of relatively easy songs you like and learning them/playing along to them help. that way you can keep motivated and good interest in it since you'll be playing music you like.
FFLink
There is.

ShadowStalker_fx wrote:

Buy or "aquire" Guitar Pro as well. This has been a great help to me Also a great website for tabs is http://www.911tabs.com/. You can find practically anything you want on this site. As for the strap thingy, mine does that to, so hopefully when i get my new guitar ( Les Paul Menace), i won't have the same problem.
Yeah already got that.

Legit of course.

neon_flux601 wrote:

as for having to lean the guitar back to see what you're playing... maybe just learn the fretboard before you start to play standing up. you shouldn't have to have your neck craned over when you're playing standing up. give it some time, grasshoppah.
No, I meant I need to tilt the guitar up so it's pointing diagnolly, so my hands can reach more.

I will look into getting some of these permanent strap fittings, cheers.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6638|Finland

FFLink13 wrote:

No, I meant I need to tilt the guitar up so it's pointing diagnolly, so my hands can reach more.

I will look into getting some of these permanent strap fittings, cheers.
The neck looks pretty wide.. You'll get used to it, I'm sure.

Actually, I find it easier to play standing up nowadays than sitting down.

Also, when you have learned the basics, it's time to make playing easier by modding the settings in your axe. What I'm thinking is pickup height, setting of action (string height) and choosing the correct strings (.10 is the way to go in a Les Paul, IMO).

Get this book, if it exists at your local bookstore.

https://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2708/9780634051920sui7.jpg
I need around tree fiddy.
Z-trooper
BF2s' little helper
+209|6765|Denmark
2 volume and 2 tone knobs... bacially there is a set for each pick up (the two metal plates underneath the strings where your right hand is..)
ssonrats
+221|6652
www.ultimate-guitar.com

Great forum and shit loads of tabs.

If you are using a standard strap you got with your guitar it will probably be a bit shitty, get a decent leather one.

You could always play it sat down so you don't have to use the strap, i play mainly sat down anyway, it's easier

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard