What an extra GIG gets you:

Loading a map on average:
1gig: 1:30   
2gig: 22 seconds

Verifying client Data(what ever that is):
1gig: 45 seconds
2gig: 23 seconds

Joining a game:
1gig: 20 seconds with about 40 seconds of lag (depending on map)
2gig: 15 seconds to start NO LAG on any map.

ALT TAB:
To Desktop-with full control
1gig: 25 seconds
2gig: 1/2 second
Back to in Game full play-
1gig: 1:20
2gig: 2 seconds

Quit game:
1gig: 33 seconds
2gig: 1 second

Well after scouring the forums, I have decided to upgrade to the much needed 2 gigs of ram. No one has really said what the increase will be though.

Some really believe all you need is 512mb...
Some say 1gig will do....
Some say 1.5...
The rest say you should have 2...

My system currently has 1, and I would really like to see a performance increase.

Lots of similar topics in different forums, but nothing was conclusive.
What is the increase in overall performance?

Today I will install the 2nd gig of RAM.

I will look at before and after increases of:
3DMARK 2005 scores.
Frames per second at a couple different resolutions.
Load times of maps.
)))Any other ideas would be appreciated.

The machine I have is as follows

3.40 Ghz P4
ATi X800 GTO 16 256mb PCi Express
1 gig RAM currently.

I hope this test will let people know exactly what they can expect from dropping $$$ on more RAM.

Please reply with ideas and thoughts so that when I do the tests this afternoon more information can be attained.

~Sando

Last edited by CheckSando (2006-01-25 19:57:06)

gblanco
Viva Mexico
+15|6774
I am almost in the same situation.
I would like to know your results.
BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6784|London UK

its not gonna be a good test, its depends more on the speed of the ram, and fsb aswell a cpu clock speed.

To put it simply, a new PC with good cpu and good specs can out perform an old one with half as much ram.
DavidGale
+0|6686|Western Mass
The performance increase will be significant.  Also try using msconfig to stop unnecessary services from starting with your computer.  The combition of the RAM increase and (assuming you have extra shit running) the stoppage of services should allow for a big increase in performance.

For informations sake, I run a Athlon 64bit 3200+ with a 7800 GT (256MB) and three gigs of RAM, and I run the game at 1280 x whatever 75 hertz, all settings on high, (including the 4x AA), and the game runs flawlessly.
SAS-Lynx
Scottish Moderator!!!
+13|6788|Scotland!!!
Moved to Tech board
DavidGale
+0|6686|Western Mass

BUDFORCE wrote:

its not gonna be a good test, its depends more on the speed of the ram, and fsb aswell a cpu clock speed.

To put it simply, a new PC with good cpu and good specs can out perform an old one with half as much ram.
That's not really true.  CPU's are not the bottle neck in todays PC's.  RAM and HDD speed are.  And what do you mean by good specs?  To me having a decent amount of RAM is included in "good specs".  You are honestly better off with a slower CPU and more RAM.  Look at the server that chuyskywalker is setting up, just dual procs, but 16GB's of RAM.  That's no joke.  Processing is not nearly as important for games, as the graphics processing is done mostly on the GPU, and all the important information is run from RAM.  FSB and RAM speed are really inconsquential unless you have a really shitty PC, or a really nice one.  Everything in the middle, you don't really see performance increases. (Significant ones anyways.)

Edit: Especially seeing as he already has 3.4 ghz proc.  Doesn't get much better than that without spending mucho dolores.

Last edited by DavidGale (2006-01-25 09:15:20)

DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6770|Brixham, UK
Since getting 2gb of ram instead of 1, my loading times decreased a lot, I reccomend it
DavidGale
+0|6686|Western Mass

DUFFKING wrote:

Since getting 2gb of ram instead of 1, my loading times decreased a lot, I reccomend it
If you want to reduce them more, consider installing your OS and BF2 (and anything else that requires loading) onto a SATA drive.  Marked increase in load times.  The whole time you are waiting for a map to load the computer is pulling it off the hard drive and putting it in RAM.  The hard drive is the slowest piece of hardware in a computer.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6770|Brixham, UK
Sounds like too much effort

I found that installing BF2 on a separate windows account speeds loading times aswell
MarkyMark
+5|6685|UK
When I built the compuer I got now, ebuyer fucked up my ram order so i had only 512 for about 2 weeks, bf2 ran just about ok, on low settings. I now have 3gigs and it runs sweet as on high high high, verifying client data and game loading hardly takes any time at all and u can run grpahics on high high high lol

Last edited by MarkyMark (2006-01-25 10:20:38)

CyberPitz
+1|6809
2 gigs of ram from 1 is a BIG difference..I notice that before it took me at least 1-2 minutes to chagne maps, now its under a minute, and I've only got a 2.8 ghz P4.

I recommend 2 gigs of ram wholeheartedly.
Seth Infinite
+3|6751|Houston, The Republic of Texas
BF2              $50.00
SF Upgrade   $30.00
2 gig RAM     Priceless
CheckSando
+2|6689
The results are in.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6818|Portland, OR, USA

You can avoid all that lag and crap by not running high textures with 1 gig of RAM. If you do, you're using your virtual memory = death to performance.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6853

Seth Infinite wrote:

BF2              $50.00
SF Upgrade   $30.00
2 gig RAM     Priceless
Lol, I think 2 gigs on my pc is probally the best part of it.
My friend said he wanted to get a 3 gig pc, but I think that is overoverkill, I mean 1 gig is like standard and 2 gigs running with a 3500 is a good thing. What do you guys think about 3 gigs instead of a better processor and 2 gigs of ram
MIDFIELDGENERAL
+0|6678
Some great info here and damn fine advice!

But if you simply do not have enough money to add more ram I highly suggest increasing the size of your virtual memory.
Doing this is in no way as good as getting more RAM but it will make a difference, especially when you ALT+TAB out of the game!

How to:
START--> control panel-->tools (along the top)-->folder options-->view-->show hidden and system files.

Back to control panel-->system-->advanced-->under "performance" hit "settings"-->advanced-->virtual memory-->change-->custom size-->initail size (up to you!) 1536-->maximum size(up to you!) 2048-->CLICK "SET"

The size you set is really up to you so experiment and see what works best for your system.

You can now ALT+TAB out without having to reboot lol

Made a difference to me and I'm runnig 1M (2x512) PC3200 at 2-2-2-5
iLLmatic
+0|6762|uk
2GB of corsair xms3500XLL ram.... most expensive there is from there range, and by far the best... recommend to everyone.
TheMajorBummer
Have a nice day!
+-4|6837|Netherlands
same here     4X  512. 

very happy with them.

corsair  ram ridged back.
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6712|MoVal So-Cal

CheckSando wrote:

THE RESULTS:::

Joining a game:

ALT TAB:

Quit game:

Well after scouring the forums, I have decided to upgrade to the much needed 2 gigs of ram. No one has really said what the increase will be though.

Some say 1.5...

My system currently has 1, and I would really like to see a performance increase.

3DMARK 2005 scores.
Load times of maps.

3.40 Ghz P4
1 gig RAM currently.

I hope this test will let people know exactly what they can expect from dropping $$$ on more RAM.

Please reply with ideas and thoughts so that when I do the tests this afternoon more information can be attained.

~Sando
you could have just said...."an ass load faster" ^_^
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6759|The United Center
i started with one gig, then recently i upgraded to 1.5.  my next upgrade will be to 2.  even 512mb makes a huge difference.  you won't be disappointed.
ResDog1
+51|6777|Netherlands
I had a huge perfomance increase when I put in 2 gigs of cas 2.5 ram.
Also put in a fast SATA harddrive and a Geforce 6800 GT vidcard. Game runs as smooth as a babies ass and let's me switch to desktop without any problems.

My opinion is you should have all three to make your game run smooth.
CheckSando
+2|6689

Pernicious544 wrote:

CheckSando wrote:

THE RESULTS:::

Joining a game:

ALT TAB:

Quit game:

Some say 1.5...

3DMARK 2005 scores.
Load times of maps.

3.40 Ghz P4
1 gig RAM currently.

~Sando
you could have just said...."an ass load faster" ^_^
I know

I was just tired of everyone saying that.  Im the kind of guy who likes to see what exactly I am getting for my money.  I figured actual tested times would be the best way.  Most people upgrade when they see exactly what they get. 

~Sando
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6767
Since getting BF2 I have upgraded from 512mb - 1gb - 2gb - 3gb lol. & The performance & load times just keep getting better
MIDFIELDGENERAL
+0|6678

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon wrote:

Since getting BF2 I have upgraded from 512mb - 1gb - 2gb - 3gb lol. & The performance & load times just keep getting better
I would expect nothing less, but I wouldn't spend €£$200 just to get into a game 30 seconds quicker.

My mrs has better things to spend it on
iLLmatic
+0|6762|uk
Why buy 3Gb of ram, when it stops ur system from runiing dual channels therefore decreasing overall bandwith and performance ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard