Scratch[USA]
+105|6557
I know that there are switches available, but what are some of the good ones.  I would like to save some desktop space buy connecting my 2 computers to one monitor.
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6704|The Ville
might, be a problem in doing that..I've seen one computer with  two monitors but not 2 computers to one monitor. I'll have to come back to this thread and see if anyone knows later because I might have to do what your trying to do....

Edit:
You might be able to try this...

1. Have a monitor that has both male and female connectors. (the male being the bigger one, the female being the small)
2. Connect the male plug to the male slot in one computer.
3. Connect the female plug to the other computer.
4.Run wizard or go to your graphics card settings to configure it.

Depending on your size monitor you will have to go split screen, anything else might look retarded.

I've done the with 2 monitors on 1 computer and I'm sure it's the same concept. If it doesn't work, nothing bad will happen......

Last edited by Obiwan (2007-06-07 13:39:25)

BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6580|United States
My friend had his set up this way for a while. I'm not sure what you need to do it, but it's quite easy. All he had to do was hold the ESC key (I think it was that key) for about five seconds and the screen would change to the other computer and vice versa.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6362|uk

Search for a KVM Switch/ Adapter

Don't see how you can get a good one... all it is, is a little adapter which you plug everything to and press the little button to change

Last edited by Titch2349 (2007-06-07 13:35:38)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Obiwan wrote:

might, be a problem in doing that..I've seen one computer with  two monitors but not 2 computers to one monitor. I'll have to come back to this thread and see if anyone knows later because I might have to do what your trying to do....
Why should it be a problem?

Any old VGA switch should be fine.

This should do:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Way-VGA-Mo … B000J249JC
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6691|Dayton, Ohio
Just Grab a KVM with USB support, you may need to find one with DVI options depending on your video card setup.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
kvm switch
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Be warned. With some cheaper manual switches you may get a bit of ghosting at high resolutions. If you want to run high resolutions on both monitors, get a decent switch. Your supplier should provide you with information about what resolutions are safely supported.
confused
+10|6404|British Columbia
Why not just network the two computers
TGMaverick
+16|6240
I've had good luck with using any of the Belkin line of KVM switches.  I haven't used any sort of KVM while gaming though -- just used to hook multiple computers up to one keyboard/mouse/monitor.
kilgoretrout
+53|6480|Little Rock, AR

TGMaverick wrote:

I've had good luck with using any of the Belkin line of KVM switches.  I haven't used any sort of KVM while gaming though -- just used to hook multiple computers up to one keyboard/mouse/monitor.
Agreed.  I work for Geek Squad and we have 4 belkin kvm switches.  They're all pretty good.  Like someone said above, you might want to look into getting a switch with usb support, especially if you have a printer that you don't want to share over your network.
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6554
Run one computer with the analog signal cable and one with a DVI cable and let the monitor switch them (if you have a newer monitor that is - most have dual inputs)
kilgoretrout
+53|6480|Little Rock, AR

Cowbell_Kevin wrote:

Run one computer with the analog signal cable and one with a DVI cable and let the monitor switch them (if you have a newer monitor that is - most have dual inputs)
But then you'd have to have two keyboards and two mice.  KVM is the way to go.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6448|King Of The Islands

kilgoretrout wrote:

Cowbell_Kevin wrote:

But then you'd have to have two keyboards and two mice.  KVM is the way to go.
No then he could use Synergy.

That is if at all the monitor has dual inputs (that can be chosen).
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Scratch[USA]
+105|6557
KVM looks like the way to go.  I have heard horror stories of ghost images, green images, and other fun stuff.  But I like the idea of only needing one K & M.  Thanks everyone.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard