The Magic Mullet
+240|6445
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6729745.stm

Bear robot rescues wounded troops

Vecna Technologies
The US military is developing a robot with a teddy bear-style head to help carry injured soldiers away from the battlefield.

The Battlefield Extraction Assist Robot (BEAR) can scoop up even the heaviest of casualties and transport them over long distances over rough terrain.

New Scientist magazine reports that the "friendly appearance" of the robot is designed to put the wounded at ease.

It is expected to be ready for testing within five years.

While it is important to get medical attention for injured soldiers as soon as possible, it is often difficult and dangerous for their comrades to reach them and carry them back.

The 6ft tall Bear can cross bumpy ground without toppling thanks to a combination of gyroscopes and computer controlled motors to maintain balance.

BEAR FACTS
Robot carries dummy - annotated with details
1. Teddy bear face designed to be reassuring
2. Hydraulic upper body carries up to 227kgs (500lbs)
3. When kneeling tracked "legs" travel over rubble. Switches to wheels on smooth surfaces
4. Dynamic Balance Behaviour (DBB) technology allows the robot to stand and carry loads upright on its ankles, knees or hips for nearly an hour

It is also narrow enough to squeeze through doorways, but can lift 135kg with its hydraulic arms in a single smooth movement, to avoid causing pain to wounded soldiers.

While the existing prototype slides its arms under its burden like a forklift, future versions will be fitted with manoeuvrable hands to gently scoop up casualties.

The Bear is controlled remotely and has cameras and microphones through which an operator sees and hears.

It can even tackle stairs while carrying a human-sized dummy.

Daniel Theobald, the president of Vecna Technologies, which is developing the robot for the US Army, said: "We saw a need for a robot that can essentially go where a human can. The robot will be an integral part of a military team."

Gary Gilbert, from the US Army's Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Centre in Frederick, Maryland, said that the teddy bear appearance was deliberate.

"A really important thing when you're dealing with casualties is trying to maintain that human touch."

Vecna is working on other potential applications for the robot technology - including helping move heavy patients in hospital.
I love the 1. Teddy bear face designed to be reassuring bit. How many jibbering children is it planning on picking up? It might just be me, but being lifted out of a warzone by a 7ft teddy bear would not reassure me in the slightest.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6711|Fort Lewis WA
Well, wounded think differently, shock sets in people panic. It might actually help troops, no one can tell till it hits the streets.
The army loves its robots, Joe loves using them, especially when interrogating a possible IED
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6651|Washington, DC

I'd prefer an actual robotic bear. You know, a big metal behemoth that looks like Winnie the Pooh on steroids that can rip through whole battalions of enemies to reach one soldier.
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6529|Bournemouth, South England
Yeah, give it a week in service, and soldiers will be having bear fights!
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6224
Impractical. If they can make robo bears that can walk around and rescue soldiers, why not make robo bears that do the fighting?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6244|Escea

I'd love to be able to post up that vid from the Simpsons with Mr.Burns robot bear, but I can't find it. "No bear wants to live".
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6602|SE London

When I think of a Robo Bear, I don't think of them rescuing.

JihaadJack
+12|6311|Southampton, Hampshire
Well, I guess they're just going to have to grin and bear it.....

.... OH COMMON

Seriously though, i'd want my teddy too if i'd been shot 5 times in the face

Last edited by JihaadJack (2007-06-07 11:42:09)

Sheky
+6|6559|London, England.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6702|Dayton, Ohio
That will be the BF3 unlock for the medic.  No more easy kills on the medic when he goes in for the questionable revive.
tupla_s
+455|6613|Finland
http://www.botmag.com/articles/04-25-07 … bear.shtml
Hope it has some honey for the injured to eat while being rescued
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6711|Fort Lewis WA

Penetrator_01 wrote:

Yeah, give it a week in service, and soldiers will be having bear fights!
I dunno, we haven't done anything stupid with our EOD Robots , or our rugged 4x4 route clearance RC trucks
(Modified Tamaya clod buster kits with rugged TV camera's on them)
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6711|Fort Lewis WA

Cerpin_Taxt wrote:

Impractical. If they can make robo bears that can walk around and rescue soldiers, why not make robo bears that do the fighting?
That would make war even more impersonal then it already is and will probably lead to more wars.
The more we unleash UAVs and Remote Weapon stations it makes the war more impersonal.  Trust me I was a vehicle commander on a stryker for 2 years, 9 monthes of that in a combat zone, the first few times I used the RWS in a real world live fire in Iraq I remember thinking baout how cool it was to zoom in all the way and quite video game like to hit the laser range finder on the STORM and engage. 
Items might save lives but at what expense? Less casualties also means what is a country really going to learn about war?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard