usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

"Al-Jazeera was denied press credentials."

http://blog.sportscolumn.com/story/2007 … 4053/8318/

I am confused by this on many levels. 

1st: Why would Al Jazeera cover hockey?  Is there a market in the arab world for hockey that I am unaware of?

2nd: The NHL has such low ratings, they should embrace any and all coverage.

3rd:  How can they deny press coverage of an international sporting event?

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-06-05 09:33:40)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6740
They probably thought they were terrorists.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6553|Global Command
Al Jazeera, I've actually been to their site a zillion times looking for kooky anti-western coverage.

TBH, I never really found anything egregious.

My vote; bum wrap.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England
Tbh it's the NFL's loss. I'm sure they're just looking for something to fill in late night though. Can't see Ice Hockey being popular in the ME.

NHL really is only a North American thing anyway. Their loss. They don't want to embrace the world like other sports then whatever. Maybe this is a reason there is a category for "American sports" and "sports"
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

Mekstizzle wrote:

Tbh it's the NFL's loss. I'm sure they're just looking for something to fill in late night though. Can't see Ice Hockey being popular in the ME.

NHL really is only a North American thing anyway. Their loss. They don't want to embrace the world like other sports then whatever. Maybe this is a reason there is a category for "American sports" and "sports"
Nobody in America cares for the NHL for the most part.  Some people will argue with me on that, but the ratings do not lie.  Nobody watches.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6714|Fort Lewis WA

Mekstizzle wrote:

I though Hockey was also in parts of Europe too....
I love hockey...just not the watered down NHL. IHL is the shit. Hard hitters and fast skating cause these people are playing cause they LOVE hockey, and they want a chance at making some decent money.  I used to love going to San Fransisco Spiders games, Tri City Americans, good games, fun to watch in person, lively fans who are in it to watch a great game of hockey being played by players willing to risk injury to have a great game and win.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Hmm, i think Hockey (non Ice) is played quite alot in school but i've never seen pro versions of it televised (at least never on terrestrial). But the bashing/everyone falling over ice hockey really isn't. Maybe in Scandanavia

We get N.American Ice Hockey though, late night on Channel 5. Infact i was watching the Anaheim vs Ottowa game yesterday, well just the first half. Very slippery game.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-06-05 10:00:55)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

"Replays of the Twins-White Sox afternoon games on Monday and Wednesday nights on FSN North beat the Stanley Cup both times. On Monday, the Twins replay did a 1.8 rating; on Wednesday, the re-air did twice the rating of the hockey game."

http://www.startribune.com/129/story/1218516.html

Not only does their ratings blow, but they are denying press coverage for no good reason.  No wonder why they fail.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6652|IRELAND

usmarine2005 wrote:

1st: Why would Al Jazeera cover hockey?  Is there a market in the arab world for hockey that I am unaware of?
Because there are plenty of American Arabs who are as Red White and Blue as the rest of yous. Did you imagine Al Jazeera only showed the Dead Goat polo game?(forget its name.)
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6714|Fort Lewis WA

JahManRed wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Because there are plenty of American Arabs who are as Red White and Blue as the rest of yous. Did you imagine Al Jazeera only showed the Dead Goat polo game?(forget its name.)
Ofcourse not they like to show extremists blowing shit up and decapitating people too!
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6566|Texas - Bigger than France
I hear in 2008 there's a few expansion teams planned for the NHL:

Bagdad Jihad
The Edmonton Oilers will move to Saudi Arabia
Tehran Terrorists
Yemen Durka Durkas
Mekstizzle
WALKER

Pug wrote:

I hear in 2008 there's a few expansion teams planned for the NHL:

Bagdad Jihad
The Edmonton Oilers will move to Saudi Arabia
Tehran Terrorists
Yemen Durka Durkas
Fits in perfectly with the ridiculous names the teams already have.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6865|Cologne, Germany

CannonFodder11b wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Ofcourse not they like to show extremists blowing shit up and decapitating people too!
as if the major US news networks wouldn't run those, if they had access to that information...Al-Jazeera reports the news, that's all. They might be closer to the "terrorists" than their western colleagues are, but that is logical, since they are from the area.

With the amount of US citizens living in the middle east atm, is it any wonder the region's biggest satellite news channel wants to cater to the needs of hockey fans among their viewers ?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6579
Tune in to the Riz Khan show on Al Jazeera tonight - there is a chance comments of mine will feature. The program will tonight cover the Israeli-Palestinian issue and one of the guests is from the UN.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6699|Canberra, AUS

CameronPoe wrote:

Tune in to the Riz Khan show on Al Jazeera tonight - there is a chance comments of mine will feature. The program will tonight cover the Israeli-Palestinian issue and one of the guests is from the UN.
Exposed!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6314|Éire
This might explain why the Irish station Setanta sports has live NHL ...they probably got it at bargain basement prices. I actually quite like NHL, I even went to see the New York rangers play at Madison Square Garden once ...they sucked!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

CameronPoe wrote:

Tune in to the Riz Khan show on Al Jazeera tonight
Ok.................
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6865|Cologne, Germany

unfortunately, I only have cable. No al-jazeera foe me.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6673

CameronPoe wrote:

Again? Or has something odd happened with the time stamps on the forum?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard