ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6532
its different for every car. some are a lot easier than others. what kind of car is it?
InnerMonkey
+62|6729
This may already be mentioned in the thread, but....

Something that I see causing some manual drivers (even long-time drivers) problems is reversing from a stopped position when the care is pointed down a steep hill/incline.  There's no real 'right' way to do it, but this is what I do, and it lets me move slowly and not act like an asshat.  Just leave the e-brake on, shift into reverse, and start easing off the clutch while increasing throttle.  When the car starts to pull against the brake, start easing out on the e-brake, and adjust the clutch/throttle as needed.  This works on pavement, grass, gravel whatever, and you can avoid tire spin and excessive rpm to boot.

It'll take a while before everything is second nature, but it's not hard.  If you've got something similar, one thing that helped me was having a hill for a driveway.  I would sit at the base and start in first.  Once I had that down, I would stop in the hill and then start from a incline position (forward and reverse).  Get to the top, put it in neutral and ease back to the bottom.  Repeat bunches and bunches of times!  After you've got 1st and reverse down, actually shifting through the gears isn't hard. 

Good luck working with your dad.  Mine just yelled a lot the first day when went out, so much so that I couldn't possibly practice.  My nerves were shot simply from the yelling.  That's why I did the driveway thing by myself until I had it down enough to venture onto quiet roads.  I took him with me for some of those drives, but only with the understanding that if he just wanted to yell, he should just stay home.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK
I forgot that in america most cars come as automatic.

Basically make sure you always put enough acceleration in when SLOWLY releasing the clutch. You may stall a bit to start but its pretty easy to get a hang of.
Greenboi
+14|6377
Just remember not to panic when you stall.  Everyone does it, even people who have been driving a while

As for myself, i practiced by putting the handbrake on, and putting the car in first.  I then raised the clutch until i felt the car wanting to move (was in a diesel, probably easier to do than in a petrol)

Thats how i learned where the "bite" of my car is and got used to it..

As for the hill starts, when youre learning, just give it some more gas to get going, again, find somewhere out of the way and practise

After a while, as others have said it becomes second nature, imo a lot of it is about confidence
bennisboy
+829|6657|Poundland
Oh one more tip, if your pulling out round a corner and stall, or if your driving across a road and stall, press the clutch. That way you can keep moving so your not stuck in the middle of the road, and when the car starts, you'll already be in gear.
too_money2007
+145|6318|Keller, Tx
Like everyone else has said, I'm sure, just let off the clutch really slowly. When I mean slowly, I mean slowly. As you let it out, it'll get to a point where the car will starting moving forward at like, what?, .3 mph. Try and remember that point. That's the point you want to give it some gas. Don't gun it, just apply a bit of gas at first.

From this point, you want to apply an equal amount of gas as you let off of the clutch. Simple. It'll take you about a month to learn first gear, but after that, it's easy.

Good pointers:

If it's a sports car, go first to third to fifth to save on gas.

First gear: 0-20
Second gear : 20-30
Third gear: 30-40
Fourth gear: 40-50
Fifth gear: 50+

If you're in 4th or 5th gear and need acceleration, down shift to third and gun it. I loved doing that in my 05 mustang gt (when I had her )

I've driven nothing but manuals until just recently. It makes you a better driver and you get better gas mileage, if you don't drive like a maniac. Have fun!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6776|UK

too_money2007 wrote:

Like everyone else has said, I'm sure, just let off the clutch really slowly. When I mean slowly, I mean slowly. As you let it out, it'll get to a point where the car will starting moving forward at like, what?, .3 mph. Try and remember that point. That's the point you want to give it some gas. Don't gun it, just apply a bit of gas at first.

From this point, you want to apply an equal amount of gas as you let off of the clutch. Simple. It'll take you about a month to learn first gear, but after that, it's easy.

Good pointers:

If it's a sports car, go first to third to fifth to save on gas.

First gear: 0-20
Second gear : 20-30
Third gear: 30-40
Fourth gear: 40-50
Fifth gear: 50+

If you're in 4th or 5th gear and need acceleration, down shift to third and gun it. I loved doing that in my 05 mustang gt (when I had her )

I've driven nothing but manuals until just recently. It makes you a better driver and you get better gas mileage, if you don't drive like a maniac. Have fun!
You shouldnt skip up gears i dont think. Skipping down is ok, but im pretty sure skipping up can fuck ur clutch up. As to the speeds it completely depends on the car as to the speeds.
too_money2007
+145|6318|Keller, Tx

Vilham wrote:

You shouldnt skip up gears i dont think. Skipping down is ok, but im pretty sure skipping up can fuck ur clutch up. As to the speeds it completely depends on the car as to the speeds.
Eh, I never had a problem. My gas mileage went from 13-15 mpg in my gt to 25 doing this. I've seen it done before, by my brother and his friends (mechanics and racers), so I figured they wouldn't do something to their car that would cause problems.

I can't wait to get my next sports car... in like 15-20 years.

Last edited by too_money2007 (2007-06-05 14:23:17)

Sgt.Gene
+215|6774

Ender2309 wrote:

russ)=spetsnaz wrote:

let go of the clutch slowely, if the car starts stuttering give more gas
do you mean off of zero, or changing gears? or both?
It helps if u let it off slowly through 2nd gear also. But once you get used to it, you can give it gas and let out the clutch fast without stalling it. I reccomend, revving at about 2k RPM and then letting off the clutch.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6581|USA
thanks all.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
+433|6689|In You Endo- Stoke
I have found the "Bite" on each car is different depening on engine size make and also Petrol or diesel.

(The bite being what you can feel on your foot over the accelorator pedal and letting out the clutch)

I'm surprised you aren't shown how to drive manual cars,but i suppose when most are auto then you don't have to worry.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6581|USA
thanks again to all of you guys. my dad "surprised" me about 30 minutes ago with my car (a blue '05 mustang). we did a little driving around, and other than starting from a dead stop, it was pretty linear and simple. the bite's only about an inch from the floor, so that makes it a little bit tricky.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?

Ender2309 wrote:

thanks again to all of you guys. my dad "surprised" me about 30 minutes ago with my car (a blue '05 mustang). we did a little driving around, and other than starting from a dead stop, it was pretty linear and simple. the bite's only about an inch from the floor, so that makes it a little bit tricky.
Even though you get a normally a smother ride in a auto,nothing compares to manual.You can really push a car to its limit.

Pics? or what the model the mustang looks like ?
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6581|USA
me in the drivers seat,
https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/mrlemon123/IMG_1769.jpg

my dad going over the basics (everything you guys told me) and giving it a drive.
https://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/mrlemon123/IMG_1775.jpg
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
All i can say is....

You lucky son of a bitch,i am happy for you

Now thats a nice car.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6581|USA

{uscm}Jyden wrote:

All i can say is....

You lucky son of a bitch,i am happy for you

Now thats a nice car.
ty. its resale is about 19. we got it for 15.5 . can't wait to get manual down.

edit: oh yeah, it came with two free dead crickets. one on the back and one in the cupholder

Last edited by Ender2309 (2007-06-05 20:02:02)

{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?
I would love to drive a car like that, but i would have no chance.

As euro cars have the drivers side on the other side,so using the gear knob with your left hand.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6581|USA

{uscm}Jyden wrote:

As euro cars have the drivers side on the other side,so using the gear knob with your left hand.
haha, don't they have a european variant?
PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6299|Pacific NW, USA

BigmacK wrote:

I would disagree. Learning automatic first lets you focus on key car control issues first, shifting second. I'm glad that I learned in an auto first, it let me get the feel of how a car will move without my input on gear selection. But once you have a grip on how the car moves, and are sure of yourself in control of the car, then manual is the best way to go.
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6761|Chicago.

Ender2309 wrote:

me in the drivers seat,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/m … G_1769.jpg

my dad going over the basics (everything you guys told me) and giving it a drive.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/m … G_1775.jpg
Congratulations man. Treat her right!
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6581|USA

BigmacK wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

me in the drivers seat,
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/m … G_1769.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/m … G_1775.jpg
Congratulations man. Treat her right!
haha, ty. and i will. apparently the previous owner had a heart attack and is dead now. but, as long as he died
out of the car, no lost sleep for me.
{uscm}Jyden
You likey leaky?

Ender2309 wrote:

{uscm}Jyden wrote:

They probally would do,but it would cost alot of money.

Mustang isn't big name over here in the UK.Obviously well known but not common at all.

EDIT-

PigPopTart wrote:

BigmacK wrote:

I would disagree. Learning automatic first lets you focus on key car control issues first, shifting second. I'm glad that I learned in an auto first, it let me get the feel of how a car will move without my input on gear selection. But once you have a grip on how the car moves, and are sure of yourself in control of the car, then manual is the best way to go.
The thing is if you can drive a manual car,you can sure as hell drive an auto.But it doesn't work the other way round as easily.

Hence why we are taught to drive with manual cars.Auto's are just stop and go easy as pie.

Last edited by {uscm}Jyden (2007-06-05 21:45:00)

PigPopTart
Shotgun whore
+133|6299|Pacific NW, USA
I learned in an automatic...thought it was the best.    Then i got my first manual ('87 Honda prelude) every car i've owned since then has been a manual.   

I hate driving an auto now, SOOOO boring.

The suspention in my GSR + Manual + a winding road = Ultimate adrenaline rush.

Last edited by PigPopTart (2007-06-05 22:18:10)

bennisboy
+829|6657|Poundland

{uscm}Jyden wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

{uscm}Jyden wrote:

They probally would do,but it would cost alot of money.

Mustang isn't big name over here in the UK.Obviously well known but not common at all.
They cost a bomb.

@Ender, how old r u? also I cant believe u got that car for wat would be just over £7500!!!

My dads Golf gti was £27,000!!!!
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6642|Finland

Manual transmission = the win.

IMHO driving automatics is comparable to a)arcade driving games (Riiiiiiidge raceeeeerrr!) or b) bumper cars.
I need around tree fiddy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard