Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina
After the Clinton legacy of "don't ask, don't tell", America has continued a tradition of homophobia in the military that few other First World nations still engage in.

What makes this currently such a hypocritical arrangement is that most military contractors don't really care if an employee is gay, and a recent interview with Gary Jackson of Blackwater is a good example of this much more open mindset among the private sector.

"Does Blackwater hire individuals who are openly gay?"

Jackson:  "To be frank, I really don’t care whether a given employee is gay.  It doesn’t really have much to do with whether an individual can accomplish their job, and that’s our concern."

Source:  http://www.thespywhobilledme.com/the_sp … _usa_.html

So, the question remains...  If the private sector can handle it, why can't the military?...  In a facetious sort of way, you could say the current situation would seem to send gay people the message: "Don't join the military; after all, you can make more money doing the same work in the private sector."

Oh well, it's the military's loss....
golgoj4
+51|6796|North Hollywood
you make a very good point. But then the private sectors interest is efficiency, not politics. With the military, a lot of people some how feel its THEIR military and their morals can dictate whats acceptable. With the power of certain voting blocks in the USA, the status quo has been maintained. Shame really.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command
Our government is stuck on stupid.
Like a skipping record saying over and over again,. stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6707|United States of America
I really don't care about having gays in there anymore. I don't agree with their lifestyle but I don't agree with atheists either and we get along fine most of the time.

Semi-seriously, what would a gay person want to join the military for when there is ample opportunity for work in the fashion industry?

Last edited by DesertFox- (2007-06-04 22:27:46)

Turquoise
O Canada
LOL...  Not every gay person is effeminate.  I could see how a lot of the more butch lesbians would enjoy the soldier role.  Plenty of the more masculine gay men would make good soldiers as well.

I mean, I can't say that I know these things from personal experience, but I've known a good amount of gay people in my life, and there is the occasional patriotic one who wants to serve his or her country in the same way that many straight people do.

EDIT: And let's not forget that one of the greatest military leaders of all time was most likely a bisexual...  Alexander the Great.

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-06-04 21:58:55)

Turquoise
O Canada

golgoj4 wrote:

you make a very good point. But then the private sectors interest is efficiency, not politics. With the military, a lot of people some how feel its THEIR military and their morals can dictate whats acceptable. With the power of certain voting blocks in the USA, the status quo has been maintained. Shame really.
Agreed...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Will gay guys get their own showers?
Turquoise
O Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Will gay guys get their own showers?
*shrugs*  I have no idea...  Maybe we should see how other countries like the Netherlands, Canada, and the U.K. handle this.  They've allowed gays for quite some time.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6680|California
I remember when gay meant you were happy...

I just smoked a fat one...

So I'm feelin pretty gay right now...
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6707|United States of America
Dammit! I can't find that clip from when Homer joins the Naval Reserve with the question asking "Are you a homosexual?" on the form and Homer thinking, "Nice guy. I wonder if he's gay." I assure you, it would be perfectly appropriate and therefore hilarious.
BVC
+325|6718

Turquoise wrote:

I could see how a lot of the more butch lesbians would enjoy the soldier role.
Oh yes, butch lesbians love the military!  Almost every one I've met has had some sort of military fetish, the one that didn't (military didn't come up in conversation) drove big bulldozers for a living.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6540|USA
it isn't just the gay person.  the attitudes of people working with the gay person might be compromised due to their decreased comfort levels in such a unit.  the gay person might be doing his job well, but he might have compromised the integrity of the group. 

one step forward; two steps backward.
Turquoise
O Canada

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

it isn't just the gay person.  the attitudes of people working with the gay person might be compromised due to their decreased comfort levels in such a unit.  the gay person might be doing his job well, but he might have compromised the integrity of the group. 

...but if that's the case, then how come countries like the U.K., Canada, and the Netherlands haven't had big problems from allowing gays in their military?

Are Americans just that insecure in their sexuality?
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6674
https://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9013/armyeb8.jpg
https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
TuataraDude
+115|6545|Aotearoa
A homophobe would say the private sector is anti gay but cannot afford to state it openly as they would be up for all sorts of discimination lawsuits. Somthing the government has nicely excluded itself from.

Having said that, there are plenty of private companies who do not care and others who openly seek what they refer to as the "Pink" dollar. As golgoj4 said, private companies care more about efficiency and profit than a persons' lifestyle. Their responsibility is to the shareholders. If a person is against any particular lifestyle or company policy (be it social or environmental) then they can choose to invest their money elsewhere. There are some investment brokers that will accept your instruction for example to never invest in companies that deal in arms or things like Uranium mining.
Turquoise
O Canada

TuataraDude wrote:

A homophobe would say the private sector is anti gay but cannot afford to state it openly as they would be up for all sorts of discimination lawsuits. Somthing the government has nicely excluded itself from.
VERY good point...  +1
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6712|Tampa Bay Florida

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/02/28/alva-dont-ask/

First soldier wounded in Iraq was a gay Marine.

“I told tons of people,” he said, with a laugh. “A lot of my friends, my buddies, my closest Marines, people I had served in combat with. Straight guys, married, with children and everything, three of them which I have become their sons’ godfather now. Everybody was just respectful and was just like ordinary. ‘That’s it? That’s your big news?’”

Alva says that while anti-gay language wasn’t exactly unheard of in the Marines, generally he thinks troops are ready for gays and lesbians to serve openly.

“Being on the front lines and serving with the people who even actually knew that I was gay, you know, that was never a factor. We were there to do a job. We were [there] to do a mission. I don’t think people would have a hard time with it because they know that the person right next to them is going to be there to protect them, in our terms, ‘have their back.’”

BTW pls dont go after me for using a liberal website, I just needed a quick ref and this was the first on google
millhous
+39|6659|OREEGONE, USA
We had a junior officer in my squadron stand up in the middle of a flight briefing and say "I am gay."  He then promptly left and proceeded to the base personnel department and began his process of getting out.  I've heard of other military members using the "I am gay" ploy to get out.

I for one don't care about whether or not someone is gay.  Its none of my buisness.  Besides, if your a homophobe, you'd never make it in the military anyways.  Most see any weakness, regardless what it is, and try and exploit it for amusement.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6478|The edge of sanity
to take a line from Jarhead - "FIELD FUCK"
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6666
i dont have a problem with the gays
golgoj4
+51|6796|North Hollywood

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

so, what happened to the discipline? I didn't realize you got to blame your (and I don't mean u personally  coronado) lack of military bearing on the next guy. I suppose you could say there is an element of unit cohesion that is required, but I remember people putting their differences aside to get the job done from my time in. Just seem a little primadonna-ish.
Jibbles
Rifle Expert
+56|6652|Mexifornia, USA
I am totally against homosexuality, purely because it is just not natural or right. I am joining the military next year, and personally, I don't want gays anywhere near me. I think it would have a negative effect on morale, and just end up not being for the better

Yet as much as I am opposed to gays in general, "you don't have to be straight to shoot straight"
golgoj4
+51|6796|North Hollywood

TuataraDude wrote:

Having said that, there are plenty of private companies who do not care and others who openly seek what they refer to as the "Pink" dollar. As golgoj4 said, private companies care more about efficiency and profit than a persons' lifestyle. Their responsibility is to the shareholders. If a person is against any particular lifestyle or company policy (be it social or environmental) then they can choose to invest their money elsewhere. There are some investment brokers that will accept your instruction for example to never invest in companies that deal in arms or things like Uranium mining.
Yeah well the groups of investors with big hearts is shrinking im sure. You can claim that some have a certain moral high-ground, when its really about protecting a brand. Bottom Line. A Brand which represents whatever bs is being sold to the people that buy it. The US Military is a Brand that the US gov't hasn't  felt it needed to update to modern times. Its not all their doing, I mean if you accept spineless as a means of governance.

/rant
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6645|EU

Well, I wouldn't like to have a gay in my platoon, but if I have one there is nothing to do than adapt. Though I think it would cause just more court processes against the army. Maybe some states are ready to go for it, but some really need to get used to and some will never accept it just because of church.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6583
Before I make any comment I'd like to see if anyone can answer a couple of questions (which I think I know the answer to, but it's always worth checking):

1)  Does the US army have uni-sex showers, and are men and women in separate tents?

2)  Same, but for guys like Blackwater.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard