Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6510|UK
OK, I'm a first time buyer here in the UK, and as we all know house prices over here are just stupid at the moment, so i was wondering what my money would get me somewhere else, like the US for example

I'm looking to spend around £155k which i suppose is around $300k give or take - over here that gets u really nice 1 bed flat or a half decent 2 bed semi (in the midlands that is)

what r house prices over in the US like for comparison?

by the way this is purely hypothetical, I'm not looking to buy in the US or anywhere else
pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6606|MANCHESTERRR
was looking on google (im from uk) and i found this lol

http://www.housesunder300000.com/
CameronPoe
+2,925|6579
That could get you a really nice car parking space in Dublin. House prices here are ridiculous.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-06-03 08:39:43)

Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6507|P-way, NJ
yes, houses cost so much money....houses in nj that cost about 400k, but in texas you can get a 3 bedroom house for like 100k, my aunt bought a 3 bedroom house for under 100k
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6510|UK
that is just ridiculous

there is a 3 bed place on my estate now that just sold for £420k, and its nothing special

thats around $800k
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6566|Texas - Bigger than France
Our house prices are about $105/sqft.  So you'd get a 3 1/2 bed house with a yard in a decent neighborhood.

I know someone who moved from Corpus Christi, Tx to San Diego, CA.

House here: about 5000 sq ft, pool, tennis court, next to a golf course, includes membership - sold for $1.25M.

Bought in San Diego: 1700 sq ft, two bedroom.  $2.8M.  But is has a nice view apparently.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6498|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Thats why, when i watch american tv shows, all i see is big american houses and i now know why..they are just cheap ass

Last edited by ELITE-UK (2007-06-03 08:46:41)

DeathBecomesYu
+171|6203
I live in 3,000 square foot house. 3 bedrooms with large Master suite(vaulted ceiling), 2 and half baths, Kitchen, Formal Dining room, Loft, Living Room, Laundry room, Entertainment room, 2 car attached garage, large deck on a 1 acre lot.

This cost me 135,000 (lot included) when i had it built back in 2001 and its for sale now for $239,000

I'm currently building a new house with a smaller lot that will be about 2,800 total square feet when finished for $165,000 to 172,000.

I live in the Midwest, United States. I am an architect by trade and, of course, designed my own houses.
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6551|London (At Heart)

As much as I hate to say it,

I guess I am moving to america...
Cheddarmuff
+21|6676

Mong0ose wrote:

OK, I'm a first time buyer here in the UK, and as we all know house prices over here are just stupid at the moment, so i was wondering what my money would get me somewhere else, like the US for example

I'm looking to spend around £155k which i suppose is around $300k give or take - over here that gets u really nice 1 bed flat or a half decent 2 bed semi (in the midlands that is)

by the way this is purely hypothetical, I'm not looking to buy in the US or anywhere else
Unless you narrow down your search (e.g., city or state) you will not get a useful answer.  You can get a 2,000 sqft house in Michigan for less than $300k whereas in California that $300k will buy you a 1000 sqft (or smaller) house.  In NYC or LA $300k buys you a nice refrigerator box to sleep in...

Go to Realtor.com as an example for prices.
herrr_smity
+156|6652|space command ur anus
I'm looking to buy an apartment but the prices are insane
CameronPoe
+2,925|6579
I'm actually actively hoping the Irish economy crumbles so that I can capitalise on the misery and buy a house! I have 100% job security which kind of helps...
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6480|The edge of sanity
We got our 3 bed 2 bath house for $120k it on .75 acers of land too.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6713|Fort Lewis WA
Yeah in the states the price varies based on where the house is located not really on the size.
In Califfornia's Bay Area, a house in SF will cost you an arm and a leg, in Pleasent Hill, Concord area they are somewhat reasonable.  Pittsburg compared to Walnut Creek though is a HUGE difference. 100k in Pittsburg will buy you a decent 2 bedroom, 2 bath house with not much of a backyard, in walnut creek that 100k will IF your lucky buy you a 10 year old Condo.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6466|Stealth City, UK
A converted garage (2 floors) just sold as a 2 bedroom cottage for £350,000. This is literally 200 metres down the lane from me. Who the hell would pay that kind of money!
BVC
+325|6719
House prices here have gone up a fuckload in the past few years.  Country average is 350K (USD250/EU200), but with a lot of regional/suburban variation, just keeps going up and up and up, nothing can really explain it.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6429|North Carolina

Mong0ose wrote:

Word to the wise...  If you use California home prices as your comparison, you'll feel a lot better about the prices in the U.K.  Also, the prices in most of the northeastern U.S. are pretty absurd as well.

On the flipside, home prices in most of the southeastern U.S. are fairly reasonable, as well as in the midwest.
Mong0ose
Will it blend?
+24|6510|UK
glad to hear it's not only the UK that is messed up then
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England
Think the other way round lol. Imagine how the average American would find prices over here. It would be insane for them. Americans, stay away from here. Infact, we're gonna move there as it's practically half price for us everywhere.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6503|Sheffield-England
I'm from the UK... We had our house valued last year, turned out to be 300k...   not bad eh?
Ruckel
Ruckel for all!
+43|6199|sverige
We have 8rooms, 3 bathrooms, pier, beach and a couple of statues (lol) in our garden. I guess we are lucky.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6645|London, England

stkhoplite wrote:

I'm from the UK... We had our house valued last year, turned out to be 300k...   not bad eh?
Sell it and see what $600k would buy you in the states!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6429|North Carolina

Mekstizzle wrote:

stkhoplite wrote:

No kidding...  you could buy a fucking castle in NC with that kind of money.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6503|Sheffield-England

Mekstizzle wrote:

stkhoplite wrote:

Note i'm 14
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6760|Salt Lake City

Where I'm right now, the house I live in is ~2800 square feet, 5 bedrooms, 2 baths, .25 acre lot.  Current appraisal is ~180K USD.  However, you don't have to go too far and $300K USD will get you a 3 bed, 2 bath starter home on .20 acre lot, ~1800 square feet.  Much beyond that and they will laugh at you for even talking a starting price less than $400K USD.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard