Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6689|NT, like Mick Dundee

Considering the stories ATG has posted is...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/99/GuntherHermann.jpg

The idea of "UNATCO's" prosthetically agumented soldiers that far off? I mean if that dude with the prosthetic legs ends up breaking world records...

It's a Brave New World out there. Prosthetics, biomechanical enhancements and that sort of thing are probably on their way for soldiers. Who knows...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6713|Fort Lewis WA

Kmarion wrote:

Do they want to return?
Yes many Troops that have lost limbs are trying to stay in.
I doubt many people understand just how many jobs the military has.  As an amputee, you can do things and finish out your 20 safely, while helping other soldiers about to deploy.  Every Post has a Deployment center.
Sadly they are run by Civilians.  Tasks like that used to be military run and operated.  The problem is with an influx of unionized civilians..... comes union perks.  10 minute breaks every hour, 1 hour lunch and early days not to mention they are getting paid more then they should be.  When I first came into the military if a light bulb burned out it was a simple fix.  Head to R&U get replacement and install.  No you have to call DPW (Department public works) Wait 2 weeks, have some civilians come into your room, sit for an hour, replace the light, test the electric current to verify thats not what burned out the 4 year old light bulb.  Range Control,DPW,the goddamned FIRE DEPARTMENT, Inprocessing centers, COOKS!?! ETC. Most of these are jobs an amputee can do well except Fire Department.  Yet they are all civilian run now.  A COOK...talk about fleecing...There are hundreds of active duty cooks in the military....Do they do they're job? Nope its all run by civilians now. Waste of a paycheck to me.
Cooks in garrison dont even do the damned headcounts. They float around the DFAC and make sure the civilians are doing the work.  By opening up some jobs , we have room for amputees. We should have kept things military.  We need to take care of our own cause no one else will.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6378
Maybe you just can't understand people like that, like Douglas Bader. Their mind set is so differnt from yours.

They want to serve and they are in it to win. These are real men.

" Only YOU can sell them out."

Last edited by Hunter/Jumper (2007-06-03 04:45:03)

DeathBecomesYu
+171|6203
I agree. I have family members, past and present, who have fought in all wars. I also am close to people who have lost a soldier/ son even as recent as a few months ago and I never hear anything about not having enough of this or that to fight this war. Also, I haven't heard one person say or even hint that they wouldn't go back and fight. These people are true heroes, fighting for what they believe in and standing up for other people who otherwise can't. I wont give up and I will support the troops and families who have soldiers there now until the very end.

I look at this article that ATG posted in a much more positive way than "its over". If you truly read what it says....it says NOTHING about anyone being sent back because we are short of soldiers or being "forced" to go back...NOTHING. It simply states that they are going back because they WANT to. This definitely doesn't show anything about shortages. I'm sure that every last one of them had a choice to where they wanted to go and serve, whether it was a desk job or back in the fight. It even says that they had to PROVE they could do the job. I wish more businesses in America gave more chances to people who are handicapped to prove they could do a good job despite their disabilities. Basically, telling anyone "you're useless, go home" is wrong. I applaud any soldier, even after what they have been through, who wants to serve his/ her country in any way they feel they can. We need that type of determination....otherwise, we lose everything that every one of my family members  fought for.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6696|Colorado
I say stay and secure the nation if possible, too much is at stake.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6713|Fort Lewis WA

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

I agree. I have family members, past and present, who have fought in all wars. I also am close to people who have lost a soldier/ son even as recent as a few months ago and I never hear anything about not having enough of this or that to fight this war. Also, I haven't heard one person say or even hint that they wouldn't go back and fight. These people are true heroes, fighting for what they believe in and standing up for other people who otherwise can't. I wont give up and I will support the troops and families who have soldiers there now until the very end.

I look at this article that ATG posted in a much more positive way than "its over". If you truly read what it says....it says NOTHING about anyone being sent back because we are short of soldiers or being "forced" to go back...NOTHING. It simply states that they are going back because they WANT to. This definitely doesn't show anything about shortages. I'm sure that every last one of them had a choice to where they wanted to go and serve, whether it was a desk job or back in the fight. It even says that they had to PROVE they could do the job. I wish more businesses in America gave more chances to people who are handicapped to prove they could do a good job despite their disabilities. Basically, telling anyone "you're useless, go home" is wrong. I applaud any soldier, even after what they have been through, who wants to serve his/ her country in any way they feel they can. We need that type of determination....otherwise, we lose everything that every one of my family members  fought for.
The problem is when you dont relize you are becomming a Liability.
Case in Point.
My former squad leader has been running around with almost NO cartiledge in his right knee.  Sure sometimes he has to limp, and he is living off of toridal shots, but the guy knows what he's doing and will pull himself if he is hurting to bad, after all I have seen him pull others from missions because they have anything from a bad case of mudbutt, to a broken nose.  So yeah I expected him to know when to say when....WRONG...We did an Air Assualt mission nearest friendly in the area was seriously about 20 klicks away.  By Air Assualt I mean we woke up early and loaded on Blackhawks and flew 30 minutes to the area we were going to patrol.  After 9 hours of hopping canals and rolling ankles in potholes and what not in the middle of the fields /desert I noticed he wasn't directly behind my fire team as normal.  I slowed the rate of march, and fell back a little, he was behind the trail fire team, using his m4's bipod legs as a crutch, and limping really bad.  I took my fire team and we fell back and covered him, at points when we had to hop a canal I took an extra 10 miutes to walk along it, to find a better spot to cross.  Often times we had to toss his M4 across the canal, then work as a squad to get him accross.  13 hours into the mission on our way to the PZ we damn near had to buddy carry him.  When the first bird cam in, we had to drag him to the blackhawk, and literally "throw" him into the bird. 

My point is this: No one relizes they are becoming a liability until its too late. Yeah people get shot and want right back into the fight, thats fine, but someone has got to point out they are now a liability.  If you cannot function 100%, you cannot go out today cause its strictly dismounted, and there is no chance for a stryker to be right around the corner to pick you up.  Water was dropped to us 4 times in the form of water bottles shoved into body bags and thrown out of the bird, what didnt explode on impact went into cargo pockets and assualt packs.  We could have medivaced him on a bird, but no one was thinking about the fact he was a liability until it was too late.  Yes we have room for Amputees who want to finish they're terms and retire out.
No we dont have room for them in a combat zone.  Kuwait is one thing, Iraq/Afganistan is another.
Don't put them in a line company, Don't put them on deploayble status.  I'm all about helping my brothers and sisters stay in, IF they choose to. But putting them on a bird to a warzone is going to get more people killed then its worth.  My squad Leader is still in theater, but he is now working in the CP handling radios and map overlays.  It sucks to be him, and I miss him as a squad leader, but its better for him, he gets to stay, hold off on his surgery, and collect combat pay.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6429|North Carolina
I guess the price of serving your country really is an arm and a leg.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6625|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

I guess the price of serving your country really is an arm and a leg.
And even after that some try to give more.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard