UberRanger
+-2|6710|UK
how about the M95 has a silencer on it. This is because when your a sniper you don t want to draw attention to yourself, but you can hear the rifle across the map nearly (sharqi peninsula). You can hear that there is an enemy sniper and roughly where they are.

Anyone agree?
HerrHav0k
+0|6685
This is kind of a bad idea because it would make snipers overpowered. One of the disadvantages to being a sniper -- especially so when using the M95 -- is the noise. If there was a silencer on the M95, you could just sit in one place and pick off people the whole round (barring being spotted by their commander). You might as well remove the red damage markers when people get shot.

I don't think silencers on sniper rifles will ever get implemented unless the rifle is very weak and takes several shots to bring someone down. It's just a matter of game balance.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6762|Houston, TX
I agree with Mr. Havok.  I wouldn't mind seeing a sniper silencer...  if the rifle were weaker.  There has to be a balance there.  Maybe muzzle flash supressor as well?

KJ
OpsChief
+101|6692|Southern California
Not a bad idea for the reasons you suggest with one exception I think with the wide variety of speaker setups and headphones the assumption that people "know" generaly where the sniper is does not prove true. When I use my speakers I can get a kind of <180 degree direction of noises but with my headphones the sound is 360 degrees lol (unless the sniper is really close).

And somehow you godly snipers always have the damn sun at your backs!!! please no silencers
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6803

also, a silencer on the m-95 would weight about 50 lbs and be 3 feet long.
I'm not joking.
Here's a photo of a canadian sniper w/flash/sound suppressor
https://img370.imageshack.us/img370/9445/206cansnip3jm.jpg
note the size, and this is only to dampen the sound of a 7.62 round
(it still sounds like a car door slamming though)
FeloniousMonk
+0|6752
In reality a silencer only works on relatively short range sniper rifles. The simple fact is that the bullet from a rifle like the M95 is traveling at far greater than the speed of sound. I don't care how much you silence the actual shot there will still be a very loud, very clear, very distinct, and very noticable crack from the sonic boom.

Snipers rarely ever use silencers in combat. It's just not practical.
SGT_Squirtle
+13|6732

FeloniousMonk wrote:

Exactly... it's much easier to make them dead and then move on
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6750|Oslo, Norway
how bout another idea, silencer on the blackhawk guns........

just showing how useless i think it would be because the sniper would be much harder to spot.

btw. i have shot several people right by a flag with an enemy apc below me and still no one noticed it
Sondar
701SQ Commander
+0|6732
well i dont think that the sniper rifles have that long range... i personally think that the snipers need to have longer range
TC><Injecter
+4|6844|Berlin, Germany
Ya... Silencers are not really.... logical nor useful.
rgp58
Ti Faccio un Culo Cosi
+0|6763|San Carlos, CA

Sondar wrote:

well i dont think that the sniper rifles have that long range... i personally think that the snipers need to have longer range
Longer range?  At Kubra Dam using the M95 and hiding near the bridge next to the US main spawn, I shot and killed someone near the Power station spawn, the scope said 500m+.  I can consistenly make kill shots at 300m.  The only hinderance i've seen to long range shots at infantry with the M95, is the huge crosshairs.  I'd take smaller crosshairs over longer range or a silencer.  My $0.02.
the_ubernoob_
+8|6760
I like my rifle the way it is (fat crosshairs and all).  But what I want is my trusty scratched up set of binoculars from BF1942.  Always used them to get the bigger picture and then would zoom in on targets with the rifle scope for the kill.  A range finder would also be nice to help out with bullet drop some (also would make it easier to brag about how far away I nailed some poor guy's head).
[-CGZ-]BioRaveN
Don't make me toothpick you.
+31|6721|The beautiful hills of Sharqi
If you suck that much as a sniper, let them hear you, try and aim for a headshot.
<-URS->Firefly
+0|6729|Pomfrett, MD
meh, jsut use the m24, its more accurate, less of a boom, and flash, thats as close as youll get to a quiet m95, and if i remember correct, the m24 now does as much damage as an m95 right?
[-CGZ-]BioRaveN
Don't make me toothpick you.
+31|6721|The beautiful hills of Sharqi
Same damage, better for snap shoooting(shooting faster and accurately, at long ranges too)

Go m24 all the way
Charmin
+1|6709

FeloniousMonk wrote:

In reality a silencer only works on relatively short range sniper rifles. The simple fact is that the bullet from a rifle like the M95 is traveling at far greater than the speed of sound. I don't care how much you silence the actual shot there will still be a very loud, very clear, very distinct, and very noticable crack from the sonic boom.

you are so wrong, the muzzle velocity of the barrett .50 rifles are close too 850m/s. Some rifles reach 915m/s but not much higher than that.
And there are plenty of silencers for .50 rifles and they will all supress the noice realllll nice.

THE One thing this game lacks is the presence of "speed of sound" . If that was present, some one would drop to the floor and the shot would be heard a sec or 3 later. And if the guy sniping calls himself a real sniper, he would have consealed himself to the degree where you cant spot him very easily.

I love sniper Noobs (about 98%) who point thier thick barell over the edge of a rooftop.........pointless, yet priceless
Charmin
+1|6709
http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=h … nl%26lr%3D

There ya go guys, Barrett's princess the M82A1 with a silencer, not weighing at 50lbs......who ever came up with that.
HerrHav0k
+0|6685

Charmin wrote:

you are so wrong, the muzzle velocity of the barrett .50 rifles are close too 850m/s. Some rifles reach 915m/s but not much higher than that.
And there are plenty of silencers for .50 rifles and they will all supress the noice realllll nice.
What is he wrong about? The M24 and M95 are both around 850 m/s, which far surpasses the speed of sound, which (in air, at sea level) is around 340 m/s.

The fact is, the large calibre rifles will never suppress "nicely" because there is not .50 BMG subsonic ammunition readily available as far as I know. Even if there was, the range and subsequent power of the the M95 for example would be GREATLY reduced with the use of subsonic ammunition, which is why large calibre suppressors are impractical for everyday military use.

That said, this is definitely a matter of game balance and not realism.
Aquastorm
Last of the Uchiha
+4|6729|Hong Kong, China
Why you don't put a silencer onto a sniper:
In order for a gun to be silenced, the bullets need to travel at sub-sonic speeds to prevent the "sonic" boom, which is the big "crack" when you fire the gun.
Also, for a gun the size of a M95 to have a silencer that would actually be effective, it would be about half the size of the gun, which makes the gun longer.
A Silencer also increases the wear and tear and decease accuracy of the said gun, making the sniper just a long range single shot machine gun. And nobody wants a unaccruate sniper rifle.
Bear in mind that the M95 fires machine gun bullets (like the American M2).

In Conclusion, no.
Sondar
701SQ Commander
+0|6732

rgp58 wrote:

Sondar wrote:

Longer range?  At Kubra Dam using the M95 and hiding near the bridge next to the US main spawn, I shot and killed someone near the Power station spawn, the scope said 500m+.  I can consistenly make kill shots at 300m.  The only hinderance i've seen to long range shots at infantry with the M95, is the huge crosshairs.  I'd take smaller crosshairs over longer range or a silencer.  My $0.02.
well i dont have the m95 yet. BUT i say for example on sharqi peninsula i cant hit the tv station from the crane now tell me is that because of the *fog* or because my settings ?
tekbandit66
+0|6680
I think that they should increase the damage stats on the .50 cal.  I don't understand why you have to be closer than 100 feet for a .50 cal rifle to penetrate body armor or to stop a jeep or hummer while you can penetrate the windshield ...  Maximum Effective Range is about 1800 meters (approx. 5905.51 feet) with a muzzle velocity of 2930 feet per seconds.  I guess not everything can be perfect...
LW_lcarp
+0|6679
Snipers also only take one shot at there given location and when it calms down they bug out. Its hard to locate a single shot, but when you fire that second shot you just gave yourself away.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6733|Riva, MD
How about FUCK NO.  The M95 in real life is incompatible with silencers and it would look retarded anyway.  By the way, stop bashing the M95.
Drunkaholic
+4|6741

UberRanger wrote:

how about the M95 has a silencer on it. This is because when your a sniper you don t want to draw attention to yourself, but you can hear the rifle across the map nearly (sharqi peninsula). You can hear that there is an enemy sniper and roughly where they are.

Anyone agree?
A silencer on a large-caliber rifle that's good for 1,800 meters?  I'm not even going to finish this comment....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard