Katash
+4|6570
I'm currently with BT Business and paying in the region of £26p/m for a 'business grade' service - I was forced onto this about a year ago because BTYahoo! imposed a download limit and informed me I'd be paying about £100 p/m for my base package + additional gigs used.
  When I signed up there was no d/l limit or FUP but recently BT Business have been cutting my speed down to 256kbps between 6pm & midnight (stupid thing is NNTP traffic runs at full speed of about 2.3Mbps)

Am looking to change ISP, does anyone know of a good uk ISP with a True unrestricted d/l limit? - all the ones I've found have this generic FUP text hidden away in the small print .... Or one that doesnt have such a crippling FUP?

Last edited by Katash (2007-06-01 11:50:31)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6475|Tyne & Wear, England
AOL - No joke
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Katash
+4|6570
AOL? - are you serious?
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
Yes
ic|shiney
+17|6565|leeds.England
ive never had a problem with aol
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6538|London (At Heart)

KILLSWITCH wrote:

AOL - No joke
As horrible as AOL is, he speaks the truth and I use it.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6638|UK
The UK doesn't have decent broadband.
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6339|Londawn
Apparently Sky's is alright.
Katash
+4|6570
So does AOL not have a FUP then? - what are they like for gaming and p2p?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

Idlewild wrote:

Have you seen my topic?

Sky is awful. Plus, you have to get Sky TV and Sky Talk to get Sky broadband.

The best internet provider is "Zen Internet". But it is quite expensive.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6454|Stealth City, UK

Idlewild wrote:

Stay away from Sky, they still have no idea what they are doing with broadband.

Go with AOL, I've not had a single problem with them. And they do your phone as well for pennies if not zero money!

ps. They upgrade their download speeds and whatever pretty much all the time!

^^^Zimmer^^^ Zen have download limits for all their options.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-06-01 11:59:12)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge

Idlewild wrote:

I do not have enough time in my life to describe the problems I had with Sky.

Thats when I switched back to AOL.  Great customer service (which is more than i can say about any other UK ISP), and they have a good balance between upload and download speeds.  Most ISP's push download speeds, however upload speed is just as important, and not enough ISP's provide it, whereas AOL do.
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6339|Londawn
Meh, I've read decent reviews for Sky: http://www.reviewcentre.com/review244151.html

Not that I have it, I've yet to have serious problems with BT
Katash
+4|6570

Zimmer wrote:

Idlewild wrote:

Have you seen my topic?

Sky is awful. Plus, you have to get Sky TV and Sky Talk to get Sky broadband.

The best internet provider is "Zen Internet". But it is quite expensive.
Just looked at Zen - For true unrestricted its £79p/m .... A little out of my range
{HMS}_Sir_Del_Boy
+69|6720|th3 unkn0wn

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Idlewild wrote:

Thats when I switched back to AOL.  Great customer service (which is more than i can say about any other UK ISP), and they have a good balance between upload and download speeds.  Most ISP's push download speeds, however upload speed is just as important, and not enough ISP's provide it, whereas AOL do.
So wot package are you on and how much does it cost you? BT promised me a connection of about 6 meg about half a year ago but I'm still stuck on 2 meg. And their bloody customer service centre is run by incompetent people over in India who don't really give a toss about their jobs.
Shem
sɥǝɯ

I have AOL but I seem to be sitting tight at 1 meg download speeds.

Wewt, I dont get upgraded
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
Im on about 6.5meg at £9.99 per month (unlimited download capacity).  I think thats because I have been a long standing customer though.
Katash
+4|6570
And their bloody customer service centre is run by incompetent people over in India who don't really give a toss about their jobs.
I know that one all too well.

Looked at AOL - they appear to have a FUP also, seems to be about 30Gbp/m by the look of it.

How a company can advertise 'Unrestricted Downloads' then hide behind a FUP seems wrong to me

Think I might sell the time machine I invented on ebay, so long as I state in v.small writing at the bottom of the page that  my company's FUP may be imposed at any time and for any reason - FUP being service may be restricted to forwards time travel only and at the speed of 1 sec per sec.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6454|Stealth City, UK

Katash wrote:

And their bloody customer service centre is run by incompetent people over in India who don't really give a toss about their jobs.

Looked at AOL - they appear to have a FUP also, seems to be about 30Gbp/m by the look of it.
It is unlimited. It's only if you go crazy and somehow download a lot over 30Gb consistently, then you might get a letter stating you might have to ease up a bit.

I'm on BF2 most days, download lots of music and loads of video and I've never had a problem at all.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-06-01 12:30:37)

Shem
sɥǝɯ

buLLet_t00th wrote:

Katash wrote:

It is unlimited. It's only if you go crazy and somehow download a lot over 30Gb consistently, then you might get a letter stating you might have to ease up a bit.

I'm on BF2 most days, download lots of music and loads of video and I've never had a problem at all.
Aye, i've never had any problems, you should be fine really.
Wraith
+30|6591

{HMS}_Sir_Del_Boy wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Idlewild wrote:

So wot package are you on and how much does it cost you? BT promised me a connection of about 6 meg about half a year ago but I'm still stuck on 2 meg. And their bloody customer service centre is run by incompetent people over in India who don't really give a toss about their jobs.
BT's (and I think nearly all ISP's) promises state up to so many meg.  The actual speed you get is largely determined by various factors such as your distance to the exchange.  Also, I believe that many ISP's use BT's infrastructure (cables etc), so if your net speeds are limited by distance then you're going to be screwed no matter which ISP you go with.  Sorry.
-botivix-
Damn
+23|6737|Not Scotland Anymore!
I've heard good things about Be Broadband but i don't use it 'cos it's not available where i live.

I currently have BT Business somat or other 8Meg and have also noticed a drop in speed at peak times.  I also keep getting letters about the lame "Fair Use Policy".  They can suck my balls, I payed for Unlimited broadband and thats what i'm gonna get. (Before they had there fair use policy).
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6363|uk

Yup, AOL For me also.

£20 a month for 8mb, shared between 4 PC's using a router.
Download at 600kb/s, no problems at all.

Very rarely have any problems, however when you do ring up customer support, you do usually have a long wait, often get passed from person to person, but the problem does get solved!

Recommened!
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6767|Scotland

-botivix- wrote:

I've heard good things about Be Broadband but i don't use it 'cos it's not available where i live.

I currently have BT Business somat or other 8Meg and have also noticed a drop in speed at peak times.  I also keep getting letters about the lame "Fair Use Policy".  They can suck my balls, I payed for Unlimited broadband and thats what i'm gonna get. (Before they had there fair use policy).
Yup, that is what happens when you go for ADSL.
If you find a good cable company, GO FOR IT, no peak times, just constant speed.

Try nildram.net they offer excellent internet. Oh, and btw, you will not find a company that supplies unlimited downloads. There will always be a limit.

I have Sky, I download at about 2mbps. It is good, but the router is awful and its inconsistent.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6485|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
I HAD AOL until my fucking cunt of a mom took it away because apparently with her crappy knowledge of internet that 8MB sky Broadband for a cheat 5 pounds is better than 2MB AOL Broadband at 26 pounds.
So i says mom fuck Sky is cheap tack with crappy limits so i'll have to pay more,
She says but,but....but its 8MB at 5 POUNDS!!! so we are getting it because i want it because its cheaper but you still have to pay for it.
I HATE HER!!! I MISS AOL SOOO MUCH!!

Does anyone know how long i have to stay with Sky Broadband before i can get a new ISP?

Oh and btw,
AOL 9.5/10 truly unlimited
Sky Broadband, 6/10 crappy speeds between 6-10 and varied download speeds when it feels like it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard