CommieChipmunk
+488|6594|Portland, OR, USA

Superslim wrote:

If I'm am wasting away with some disease, with no hope of a cure, who has the right to tell me I have to live and indure constant pain and suffering. I should have the right to call up the Doc and tell him to help me end it. WTF is wrong with that if it is MY CHOICE?!?!?!?!
there's not logical argument to rebuff that.
Reciprocity
+721|6605|the dank(super) side of Oregon

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Superslim wrote:

If I'm am wasting away with some disease, with no hope of a cure, who has the right to tell me I have to live and indure constant pain and suffering. I should have the right to call up the Doc and tell him to help me end it. WTF is wrong with that if it is MY CHOICE?!?!?!?!
how 'bout, "jesus made it my job to interfere with your life!"?
CommieChipmunk

Reciprocity wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Superslim wrote:

how 'bout, "jesus made it my job to interfere with your life!"?
spread the word good man!  You know well enough we aren't intelligent to think for ourselves.  Let's let a 2000 year old book think for us! hoorah!

Hallelujah!! Can I get an AAAAAMEN!?

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2007-05-31 22:29:55)

Reciprocity
+721|6605|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Oregon FOR THE WIN!
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6792
my life, my choice.

Not my life, churches choice
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6714|Fort Lewis WA

BigmacK wrote:

IMO, Kevorkian should be euthanized. He's done enough damage already.
What damage has he done? Honestly its not like he took patients off the street and killed them.
Before he would commit to anything he would researcha nd make sure these people were indeed TERMINAL.
MEANING: NO FUCKING CURE, YOU"RE GOING TO DIE SLOW.
Hell yeah if i was a terminally ill patient with no hopes of being cured, I would ask someone to help me die in a manner I so choose.  Lets see, Die slow and painfully? Or die in my sleep due to a drug cocktail?  Sorry I would spare my family from seeing me die slowly and painfully and opt for a quick painless death.

The guy is not my hero, but the guy was doing the right thing.
Its not your call to say assisted suicide is wrong.   Its the persons life and the person assisting's call.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6566|Texas - Bigger than France
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18974940/

Good luck Emo.  Dr. Death is strolling around your neighborhood.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6579
Humane euthanasia for thsoe who want it FTW!
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6469|The Land of Scott Walker

Turquoise wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Can I "help someone die" and get out of jail early too?
Yep, assisting someone in massive amounts of pain in killing themselves is just downright evil.  Nevermind the fact that we extend such services to grievously injured animals...
Effective pain management is what I would advocate, not assisted suicide.  Comparing terminally ill people to an animal that needs a bullet to the head after being run over by a car is a bit crass don't you think?   

Turquoise wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Boggles the mind that he was jailed while countless abortion physicians remain at large.
What also boggles the mind is how most pro-lifers don't support more government funding for adoption infrastructures and better social programs for single mothers.
*raises hand*  I do and all the pro-lifers I know personally do, too.  We’d rather have the money going to adoption and help for single mothers instead of government sponsored baby killing.  I don’t know where anyone gets the idea that we don’t support increased adoption and help for mothers.  That’s what we’re all about! 

Turquoise wrote:

Why not leave Iraq, cut military spending in half, spend half of the savings on adoption programs and social programs for these mothers, and THEN....  restrict abortion down to extenuating circumstances?

That would be a plan that makes far more sense than what most pro-lifers seem to preach.  It's like they have their heads in the clouds.  There are so many economic things to consider in dealing with the abortion issue that are even more important than the "moral" side of it.
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I have to disagree that anything in the economic realm eclipses the moral side, though.  When people are only an economic concern I believe we’ll start seeing the government deciding when people need to die because they’re too much of a burden.  I don’t want to live in a country like that.

Superslim wrote:

Again, effective pain management should be available.  If it is not, the medical profession has dropped the ball.  The problem is that doctors are supposed to be in the business of helping people live and manage their pain, not killing.  But once we legalized abortion, euthanasia was soon to follow. 

The other problem is that everyone has days they don’t want to live anymore.  Under those circumstances a person is not in the correct frame of mind to make such a critical decision.  My grandpa has some health issues and some days he’s not in his right mind and he tells us to let him die.  Should we call up ol’ Jack when we hear that?  No, because when his medication levels even out, he doesn’t talk that way.  Where do we draw the line?  Then we’ll start hearing the question, “Why does an older person that’s sick have a right to choose to die and a young depressed teenager doesn’t?”  See where we’re headed?  I don’t think we want to open that door as a society. 

It would be nice to see some of you argue your position without insulting the intelligence of those with whom you disagree.  It doesn’t strengthen your position.  People of faith do think for themselves, whether you think so or not.
CannonFodder11b
Purple Heart Recipient
+73|6714|Fort Lewis WA
So, make the hospitals and doctors richer, live on medicine that is over priced and wither away blindly doped up?

I burned in from 75 feet in Airborne School, broke both legs, broke my ankle and had pins and a plate installed into my foot.  I was on self administered morphine drip. You feel pain, you push a button.  Yeah thats a damned joke.  Not 1 day or night in the 3 weeks i was in the hospital did I NOT FEEL PAIN.  Yes I know now what i didnt know then push the button wait 10 minutes for the medicine to cycle through.  I was mashing that button like nobodies buisness. Little did I know for the first week of screaming agonizing pain that each time you mash the button the timer restarts.  Even after the doctors explained the system to me, I have never been in so much pain in my life.  4 surgeries.  3 monthes of walking like a gimp.  9 monthes later I broke the titanium plate and pins off in my foot during a 10 mile road march.  Another surgery 2 more weeks of pain, that no amount of medicine would stop.  Drugs are not the answer.  They cause more pain then they can solve.  Morphine = Constinpation, so they give you stool softeners, Stool softeners cause bloody noses, and headaches,stomache aches and just all around bad pissing out of your ass.
Yeah so I get something that atleast limits the pain... but now I have to take3 more meds to solve problems brought on by my meds. Screw that.
CommieChipmunk

CannonFodder11b wrote:

So, make the hospitals and doctors richer, live on medicine that is over priced and wither away blindly doped up?

I burned in from 75 feet in Airborne School, broke both legs, broke my ankle and had pins and a plate installed into my foot.  I was on self administered morphine drip. You feel pain, you push a button.  Yeah thats a damned joke.  Not 1 day or night in the 3 weeks i was in the hospital did I NOT FEEL PAIN.  Yes I know now what i didnt know then push the button wait 10 minutes for the medicine to cycle through.  I was mashing that button like nobodies buisness. Little did I know for the first week of screaming agonizing pain that each time you mash the button the timer restarts.  Even after the doctors explained the system to me, I have never been in so much pain in my life.  4 surgeries.  3 monthes of walking like a gimp.  9 monthes later I broke the titanium plate and pins off in my foot during a 10 mile road march.  Another surgery 2 more weeks of pain, that no amount of medicine would stop.  Drugs are not the answer.  They cause more pain then they can solve.  Morphine = Constinpation, so they give you stool softeners, Stool softeners cause bloody noses, and headaches,stomache aches and just all around bad pissing out of your ass.
Yeah so I get something that atleast limits the pain... but now I have to take3 more meds to solve problems brought on by my meds. Screw that.
Apparently Dr. Death has a remedy for that
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6429|North Carolina

Stingray24 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yep, assisting someone in massive amounts of pain in killing themselves is just downright evil.  Nevermind the fact that we extend such services to grievously injured animals...
Effective pain management is what I would advocate, not assisted suicide.  Comparing terminally ill people to an animal that needs a bullet to the head after being run over by a car is a bit crass don't you think?
The comparison was intended to show that we show mercy to animals, so why not do the same to humans?

Stingray24 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

What also boggles the mind is how most pro-lifers don't support more government funding for adoption infrastructures and better social programs for single mothers.
*raises hand*  I do and all the pro-lifers I know personally do, too.  We’d rather have the money going to adoption and help for single mothers instead of government sponsored baby killing.  I don’t know where anyone gets the idea that we don’t support increased adoption and help for mothers.  That’s what we’re all about!
I'll kindly direct you to your economically conservative colleagues who argue against any and all forms of welfare.  Once you've convinced them that these specific forms of welfare are necessary, we can talk about banning abortion.  Until then, it's not economically feasible.

Stingray24 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Why not leave Iraq, cut military spending in half, spend half of the savings on adoption programs and social programs for these mothers, and THEN....  restrict abortion down to extenuating circumstances?

That would be a plan that makes far more sense than what most pro-lifers seem to preach.  It's like they have their heads in the clouds.  There are so many economic things to consider in dealing with the abortion issue that are even more important than the "moral" side of it.
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I have to disagree that anything in the economic realm eclipses the moral side, though.  When people are only an economic concern I believe we’ll start seeing the government deciding when people need to die because they’re too much of a burden.  I don’t want to live in a country like that.
Surprise, we already do.  The evidence I have for this is how quickly we enter wars for economic reasons and use lives as political collateral.  Essentially, we may convey an image of "moral-mindedness" to make ourselves feel better about our government's actions, but the truth is, any life can be bought and sold in this country -- and nowadays, it's pretty cheap.

Of course, this really shouldn't be surprising when you consider that we once had an economy based on buying and selling lives (slavery).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard