Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0531/guantanamo.html

Until America starts acting like the 'good guys' and following generally accepted codes of moral and humane treatment of POW's and criminal suspects it has no right to go around the world accusing other regimes of anything. There is a lot of talk about China and it's approach to human rights at the moment but what's happening only a stone's throw from Miami is an absolute disgrace. The detainees should be given a fair hearing and be subject to the conventions of normal prisoners instead of the physical and psychological hell that is Guantanamo bay.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

Braddock wrote:

physical and psychological hell that is Guantanamo bay.
lol
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528
It's a prison. 
Let them kill themselves, it means less money spent keeping them alive.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

usmarine2005 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lol
I fail to see what's so funny about a hell-on-earth.
These people are told over and over that they are terrorists, they are not given a fair trial, and they live in very poor conditions. I agree with the OP - the USA should follow the moral code that they try to press on others.

-konfusion
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

It's a prison. 
Fair enough ...I take it you don't give out in threads about US troops being captured and tortured in Iraq and Afghanistan then?
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528
If you seriously think what goes on at Gitmo classifies as toture, your delusional.

Last edited by =JoD=Corithus (2007-05-31 13:38:05)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Braddock wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

It's a prison. 
Fair enough ...I take it you don't give out in threads about US troops being captured and tortured in Iraq and Afghanistan then?
They have a uniform, can't you see?  The "terrorists" at Gitmo (some not even terrorists or Mujahadeen) don't have military uniforms, which means they don't fight properly, which means they aren't gentlemen, which means they get treated worse than farm animals.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

I've heard of loads of suicides in many prisons, Guantanamo may be harsher on its prisoners but suicide is nothing new in the walls of a prison.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

Braddock wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

It's a prison. 
well they all ready have confirmed they killed a soldier and the'll probably kill the remaining
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

If you seriously think what goes on at Gitmo classifies as toture, your deluded.
Aside from the physical aspects of Guantanamo bay the mere fact that they are locked away without being given any indication if they will ever get out is inhumane. I'm sure you're as tough as nails and would have no problems dealing with the regime out there but most mere mortals would not be able to face life in the knowledge that you may not ever see the outside world again and have no prospects for appeal or fair trial, whether you are guilty or not.

If it's not so bad there then tell me why are so many prisoners killing themselves?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Maybe they want to be Martyrs, seriously though suicides don't immediately mean that it is related to anything going on in the prison, there are exceptions but take Armley jail in Leeds, it had 7 suicides in 2006 and I see no evidence of prisoners being treated badly. People who have had a troubled past are more likely to inflict harm upon themselves in a prison than anyone else and prisoners from say Iraq or another poorer country in the ME are more likely to have a troubled past.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2007-05-31 13:47:59)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

Braddock wrote:

If it's not so bad there then tell me why are so many prisoners killing themselves?
I'd be curious to compare suicide rates at gitmo against suicide rates at other prisons worldwide.

Also, they will get to their virgins faster.
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528

Braddock wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

If you seriously think what goes on at Gitmo classifies as toture, your deluded.
Aside from the physical aspects of Guantanamo bay the mere fact that they are locked away without being given any indication if they will ever get out is inhumane. I'm sure you're as tough as nails and would have no problems dealing with the regime out there but most mere mortals would not be able to face life in the knowledge that you may not ever see the outside world again and have no prospects for appeal or fair trial, whether you are guilty or not.

Ahh yes, because providing someone 3 hot meals a day, a roof over their heads, and unlimited Religious expression is so inhumane, never mind the fact that in the countries the majority of these....heh, people, come from, in they'd either be tortured, (by the way, if you are still confused as to what real torture is, I'm willing to give examples, just say so.) , or straight out executed.  You want to see torture and inhumane treatment?  Go get yourself arrested in the middle east, that will give your comments some weight and validity.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

Ahh yes, because providing someone 3 hot meals a day, a roof over their heads, and unlimited Religious expression is so inhumane, never mind the fact that in the countries the majority of these....heh, people, come from, in they'd either be tortured, (by the way, if you are still confused as to what real torture is, I'm willing to give examples, just say so.) , or straight out executed.  You want to see torture and inhumane treatment?  Go get yourself arrested in the middle east, that will give your comments some weight and validity.
Last thing I heard from Guantanamo, there was no guarantee of religious expression, or a roof over your head. But then, it was BBC (or HBO or something like that), not Fox.

-konfusion
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

Each prisoner has been given:

US army standard-issue 2cm-thick foam sleeping mat, one blanket, two buckets, a one quart canteen
Two orange boiler suits, one pair flip-flops
Two bath towels, one for washing, one for use as a prayer mat
A washcloth, toothpaste, soap, shampoo
A copy of the Koran

Prisoners are served three meals a day - all "culturally appropriate":

Breakfast - typically bread, cream cheese, an orange, a pastry, a roll, a bottle of water
Lunch - typically a box of cereal, two cereal bars, a packet of peanuts, one packet crisps, one packet raisins, a bottle of water
Evening meal - typically white rice, red beans, a banana, bread, a bottle of water.

The detainees' daily routine:

Breakfast followed by shower opportunity and personal time
Doctor visits to address any medical issues
Lunch followed by shower opportunity and personal time
Exercise period
Mail call - pens and paper are provided for limited time, letters may be written under supervision, all pens are collected afterwards
Dinner followed by shower opportunity

Suicide Pact
The detainees at Gitmo have distinct pads and envelopes that are set aside for attorney/client communication and the guards aren't allowed to read anything written on that paper or put in those envelopes?
Ohh the humanity!
Xbone Stormsurgezz
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528

Kmarion wrote:

US army standard-issue 2cm-thick foam sleeping mat, one blanket, two buckets, a one quart canteen
A copy of the Koran

Breakfast - typically bread, cream cheese, an orange, a pastry, a roll, a bottle of water
Lunch - typically a box of cereal, two cereal bars, a packet of peanuts, one packet crisps, one packet raisins, a bottle of water
Evening meal - typically white rice, red beans, a banana, bread, a bottle of water.

Exercise period
Mail call - pens and paper are provided for limited time, letters may be written under supervision, all pens are collected afterwards

Suicide Pact
The detainees at Gitmo have distinct pads and envelopes that are set aside for attorney/client communication and the guards aren't allowed to read anything written on that paper or put in those envelopes?
Ohh the humanity!
OH HOW HORRIBLE!!!!
The terrible Ameri-nazis only gave them one copy of the Koran each?  "Personal time?" those poor, mistreated souls!!!
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6601|USA

konfusion wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lol
I fail to see what's so funny about a hell-on-earth.
These people are told over and over that they are terrorists, they are not given a fair trial, and they live in very poor conditions. I agree with the OP - the USA should follow the moral code that they try to press on others.

-konfusion
I guess they reap what they sow.

Poor conditions?  Beats the cave they were living in and 3 meals that take into consideration religious conventions.  Also, they get medical care that was unheard of where they came from. 

Now I agree living in a cage might not be fun, but they gotta look at how their choices put them in the situation they are now in...

Its all about personal responsibility.  Or lack thereof.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Kmarion wrote:

That's healthier than the crap I eat, seriously that's not bad for a breakfast IMO.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

A copy of the Koran

Exercise period

Suicide Pact
Ohh the humanity!
OH HOW HORRIBLE!!!!
The terrible Ameri-nazis only gave them one copy of the Koran each?  "Personal time?" those poor, mistreated souls!!!
/win.....both of you
Big McLargehuge
Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody
+259|6573|Philadelphia, PA
WASHINGTON -- The suicide rate in local jails fell from 129 per 100,000 inmates in 1983 to 47 per 100,000 in 2002, the Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today.
http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/pub/press/shspljpr.htm

Suicide in prison is nothing new.

Last edited by Big McLargehuge (2007-05-31 13:59:15)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon
i agree that conditions may be rough in gitmo, but the guys that are in there are there for a reason.
people call for the US to change the way we are dealing with terrorists, but the terrorists dont have a list of rules they have to follow. if they played by the rules that we do then they would be treated just like any other POW, and not put through all the bullshit at gitmo.
whether its right or wrong is a matter of opinion.
do i think they have a very bad time in gitmo?
yes.
do i think its fair?
no, but nothing in war is fair.....they decided to play the game, and this is one of the things that can happen.
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6507|Chicago

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

It's a prison. 
Using that logic, every soldier that dies is one less M16 needing to be manufactured and one less stomach to fill.

[sarcasm]Thank God that the insurgency is keeping war costs down.[/sarcasm]
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6324
He killed Himself, that’s how you define suicide.

The “usual suspects “  just want one more excuse to trash the U.S.A.

If they couldn't find one ( like orange jump suits ) they would make them up. “ Loose Change “ Anyone ?

People still come here by the millions, and I wonder why ? Do they flock to any of the GOOD countries that are so selfless in such numbers? Say Norway Sweden or Russia ?

Interestingly enough Insurgents are quite comfortable with out a front line, they have No fear at all of letting the US Military in their rear areas, they trust us to move freely among their women and children. Please tell us why this is so?
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528

RedTwizzler wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

It's a prison. 
Using that logic, every soldier that dies is one less M16 needing to be manufactured and one less stomach to fill.

Wow, you people are really streching to make poor points, good job!!!
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6507|Chicago

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

It's a prison. 

Wow, you people are really streching to make poor points, good job!!!
Yeah, that or you're ignoring that you're making a quintessential double-standard. One of the two.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard