memphisjz
+1|6678|Belgium
for all you smart pc guys out theire , i'm going to buy a new pc and i was wondering wich processor I should buy?
i have this choice:
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
or
Intel Pentium 650 3.4 Ghz

Now, i'm going to use this pc only for gaming so i need a processor that is great for 1 application i think
so wich  should i take?
iLLmatic
+0|6742|uk
amd everytime in todays market.
Paladus902
The Last Man Standing
+1|6778
AMD if your going for your gaming rig.  In my experience AMD make better chips each time, there more reliable.
sapoisk
+0|6665
AMD = gaming cpu
INTEL = workstation cpu

it says it all..
dankassasin42o
+68|6671|Reefersyde, CA
AMD actually has intel by the balls.    Go with AMD.
+0|6667
AMD all the way!!
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6687|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
Amd Ftw.....!
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6692
You might look into an AMD dual core cpu. They dont score much lower on single thread applications, and you'll be thankful for the second core in a year or so when double thread applications are more common. And theyre cheaper

I run an AMD x2 4800, and its fantastic. And cheaper than the fx 57.
TC><Injecter
+4|6820|Berlin, Germany
Yeah! X2 rulez... But (if you have a lot of money) FX 60 is da rul0r ^^

I have the FX55 its good to, but a normal 4000+ is the same nearly (unless you wanna overclock). BUT X2 is for the future!

AND NOW THE BIGGEST BUT: Intel is just coming with its Yonah stuff... I think in nearly no time there'll be MERON... And Meron is gonna kick ass... So they are quite good (as every processor from intel which was developed in Israel --> all centrinos ... ooooo I love the intel mobile processors and atm the AMD desktops)
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6667|Planet Seibertron ;)
I run an AMD Athlon64 X2 processor and have been quite happy with it.  In fact, I'm very happy with its performance.  Like others have said before, go with AMD if you plan on making a gaming rig.  Although it doesn't hurt to stick with AMD as well for other needs.  At this time, it doesn't seem current Intel (Prescott) processors would be a wise choice to get in the long run due to its immense power consumption.  So it may not be a good idea to go with Intel at all for the time being.

Then there's Yonah, which Injecter mentioned.  AnandTech has early numbers from Yonah and it looks to be very, VERY good.  However, the target market Yonah aims for is portable/laptop.  So it doesn't look like we'll be seeing a desktop counterpart for a bit.  When the desktop version is release, we'll see whether if it's any improvement over current Pentiums right now...

Depending on your upgrade time, it might be a good idea to wait out a bit... as the new AMD socket design is slated to be released this year.  The new socket and CPUs will include support for DDR2 memory so now may not be a good time to get the upgrade bug.  However, if now is your upgrade time, then by all means go for the X2 processor.

On the other hand, if you upgrade often and feel you'll eventually get a new system later on the year or the next year, hold off on the X2 and get a single-core AMD processor.  You'll save some money and in the end will have enough to possibly get a dual-core processor when the new socket is more generally around.

I hope you got a good upgrade plan because all of these can factor in as to how you upgrade.  Review all the possibilities and decide from there.  Good luck!
razz
+7|6674|Australia
Amd
0ktane
Negative Ping
+55|6759|Arizona
(A lone whisper from the corner of the room.)  ....intel....
razz
+7|6674|Australia

0ktane wrote:

(A lone whisper from the corner of the room.)  ....intel....
WE GOT A TROUBLE MAKER, GET HIM.

How dare you come into a thread with nothing but AMD being said and say something as obscene as the word int... I can't say it, it's against my loyalty to AMD.
josh's
Banned
+2|6681
AMD all the way its the best out there man!!!
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6838|Australia
(Helps out the trouble maker) gAyMD.............go intel (intel inside, idiot outside) all the way! hahaha buy an apple instead

haha no seriously! Games only then AMD for sure...

Last edited by Stoned_Smurfz (2006-01-24 01:15:57)

razz
+7|6674|Australia

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

(Helps out the trouble maker) gAyMD.............go intel (intel inside, idiot outside) all the way! hahaha buy an apple instead

haha no seriously! Games only then AMD for sure...
Yooooou son of a bitch!
Wasder
Resident Emo Hater
+139|6667|Moscow, Russia
Got a 3,5 year old AMD Athlon 2000+ here )) I wanna get a sixty-four, no intel mo-fo!
TehSeraphim
Thread Ender
+58|6715|New Hampshire
Aren't the dual core processors for Vista?  I dunno if XP can handle DC processors just yet.

I'm an Intel user, a P4 overclocked to almost 3.3...I think I'd have to say go with an AMD, so long as it's a 64 bit processor.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
AMD, dual cores can be used in XP as well
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard