dc_involved
+13|6522

surgeon_bond wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Thieving deceiving lying cheating bastard-faced monkey-raping unclefuckers. The lot of them.
nice rant , shit i have to join in aswell

fucking bastard gizzcocks
You watch peep show then?
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6354|Vancouver
I understand the complaints about the education system. Certainly, the British Columbia (Canada) education system is flawed. It needs a reexamination to find its mission, if it has not done so since I graduated. I did so with honours, including several scholarships, but I did feel a little guilty with such accomplishments. I was always more intelligent than the majority of the student body. Those who excelled academically were obviously intelligent, and took that opportunity to finish high school with ease- High marks, many courses, etcetera. I found that while some could easily follow the system, I was far too often bored. High school was marketed to the average student. I was forced to attend classes so that they could teach me what I already knew, or attempt to change my writing style to one that colleges inevitably force you to abandon. It was useless and irrelevant.

So, I learned to play the system. I used politics to graduate, not studying. A few courses I received with high marks and little work were not because I was easily an excellent student, but simply by avoiding work. Most teachers refused to pass me unless I did boatloads of work, regurgitating information that I already knew but had to read again. History was one course I could teach myself, previous to actually taking it. It was not a process to advance me to higher education, but to fulfill certain outlines that were necessary to the very structured system. It was absolutely pointless.

At times, I would be months behind in my work. I didn't attend classes, nor do homework. I did the bare minimum, and by playing politics, the administration and teachers could not discipline me because I was an intelligent student, one that was never in trouble nor did poor work. I never strived for anything higher than the minimum, and it certainly worked. While I am happy that I could do such a thing, I am disappointed that my education amounted to playing games with my friends in a side room all day, or skipping entire weeks at a time. Certainly, I could have changed this, but for naught. There was little I could do with the resources offered to me.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6481|Gogledd Cymru

dc_involved wrote:

surgeon_bond wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Thieving deceiving lying cheating bastard-faced monkey-raping unclefuckers. The lot of them.
nice rant , shit i have to join in aswell

fucking bastard gizzcocks
You watch peep show then?
fucking a, quality
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6767
Actually, clubs and extracurricular activities are the least looked at things by colleges. My dad was an admissions officer at UF, he knows.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

jonsimon wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've been to AP classes here and there. Wasn't really that different from the regular thing, and some of them were leftist nests with pillows tossed all over the floor in lieu of desks.
What fucked up district did you go to?

As for GPA, the funny part is mine will look really impressive. I got straight 3.8s for three years, but both semesters this year I've set myself up with the easiest classes (gym ftw) aside from my two APs so I've got over a 4 last semester and this one I should have straight As. Since I won't be applying for college until next fall semester, it'll look like I never had senioritis, but the truth is far from it.
Clover Park School District, for the majority of my K-12 education, though my later high school years saw more college than high school.

I learned more in AFJROTC and my single junior high year of home schooling than I did doing anything else in public high school...

Their budget was too heavily sapped by sports and PE programs, shops were too much of a disgrace to consider signing up for, and the chemistry class had a supplies closet that couldn't store my meager collection of belts and neckties. I resigned my post of astronomy student when I found out that our sole greatest project was to make a giant poster of the solar system. If it wasn't for the fact that we were told to do this in groups of four, I wouldn'tve been quite as discouraged by the ignominy of such an infantile task. No complaints about math classes and local history; down to business they were. AP English focused on nouns, verbs, pronouns and adjectives for the first #@$&ing two quarters. Geography and civics were allied in their attempt to politically-sensitize students to third-world horror and how great the Democratic party is (I could learn more about those two topic from three nights on Wikipedia than I could an entire year of both these sad excuses for classes). I learned more about computers by picking through doom.exe with dehacked than in any public school's 'technology' class.

Then to top it off, my high school's swimming pool (charge entry fees to cover maintenance costs, I say) remains damaged by an earthquake that happened years ago, while other schools within the same district are built to excruciatingly-posh detail, putting shame to the Taj Mahal. They want to build, but are loath to maintain.

[edit]And what do you know, they're blowing even more wads of cash on yet more excessive construction projects. Refresh the page enough times and you'll see a kid in a blue shirt cheating on a written test. What do you think he's looking at under that fold of notebook paper?[/edit]

[edit:2]WASL results: http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/summar … vel=School

...and its record doesn't change much from there.[/edit]

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-28 02:29:40)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
All I have to say is...  perhaps, a purely privatized system of education in America would work better than the mostly disappointing public ones.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard