Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6773
My car gets around 25-30 mpg (average, city and highway combined). And diesel costs $2.99 where I live. Yay.
[FHB]Unit44
+2|6636

BigmacK wrote:

Thats because in general, gasoline engines run smoother and can rev higher. Thats why they sound difference.

Your going to have a hard time reving a diesel engine over 5,000 RPM without killing the thing.
WOW... I see there are no ASE techs on here.... anyway  my Cummins diesel in my 2500 Dodge Ram makes 325HP and 650FT LB of torque stock and it red lines @ 3200 RPM....  someone do the math.  I have smoked many a ricer and pony cars -  my truck weighs 7500 LBS and gets 20 MPG if I keep my foot off of it.....  But the mighty Cummins will not fit in a charger. 
Here is a link to those that doubt diesel power - ther are many more to be found if you search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kfd3A7K … mp;search=
t0mhank5
+319|6710|Surge
Is it an old '68-70 charger? because fuck man, those are cool.
Reciprocity
+721|6579|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it's not financially worth the effort.  installing and Edelbrock fuel injection kit is probably the most effective way to increase both performance and mileage.  diesel engines in most cars, while not as bad as VW rabbits from the eighties, are still not generally high performance.  A truck drivetrain in a car might better suit your needs but would require a reinforced frame, transmission, driveline, and likely a stronger differential.  and I am an ASE certified tech.
agent146
+127|6385|Jesus Land aka Canada

stryyker wrote:

I have been staring at a performance engine for my Charger for a while now. Just recently, however, I figured out that premo gas will be going up to around $4.20 by the start of summer, and running a car that uses Premium AND only gets 7 miles per gallon might suck.

I am now playing around with an idea to shove a performance diesel engine in there. Does anyone have/ have experience with said engines? I'm trying to gauge price balances and what it would take to get one in there
my polish class mate had a diesel car. of course i am not against it but does it cause more popluates? you may have some trouble with them enviromentalist
geNius
..!.,
+144|6440|SoCal
Diesel would cost a fortune to swap in, so it wouldn't be worth it (if your primary concern is saving money on fuel).

Anyone who says diesels aren't good off the line don't know what they're talking about.  I've built several Duramax GM trucks that run under 12 second quarter-miles.  The bonus there, being durability AND twice the fuel mileage of a comparable gas truck.

I still run gas, but diesels have come a long way since the days of "good for hauling only".
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6672|Houston, Texas
diesel. the currently looks lower in price gasoline. give the market time to balance out, diesel will be way more expensive then regular gas once again, when all the american refineries get back to 100%.. ( if ever ).

i hate diesel. but as far as performance is concerned, anything is possible with any fuel type. i just know that i'd rather have an engine that runs 500hp on 87 octane then something that can be targeted as a premium blend. especially with all the CORN usage for ethonal these days
LT.Victim
+1,175|6561|British Columbia, Canada

stryyker wrote:

BigmacK wrote:

If you want to make it sweet, you can put a 360 under the hood for $5000.

Then it would be a really fucking sweet car.
*cough*440*cough*

And now that i keep thinking about it, I have a camry that i drive normally, so gas isnt going to be an issue. /fail to myself
Our School race car has a 440 in it, and it only pulls like 12-13 seconds down the Quarter Mile.

Last edited by LT.Victim (2007-05-27 23:03:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard