Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6666|Camp XRay

Bernadictus wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Back with two small questions:

1.) Can I plug in any retail keyboard instead of the standard issue Mac Keyboard ? Or does it have to be "build for Mac" ?

2.) Will a MacBook support a standard retail mouse with two or more buttons and a normal mouse wheel ? How does the "right-click" work under those circumstances ? Is there something like a  context menu ( as in windows ) or drag and drop ?
1.) Yes you can. If you plug in a Windows keyboard into Mac OS X, the Windows Start button the keyboard will function as the command key. So nothing really changes.

I have a G15 and Apple Keyboard plugged into my Mac. Both function in XP and OS X.

2.) Yes, I use my G5 on my OS X. Note that the current Mighty Mouse has 3 click function (left-right-midddle), it just doesn't look that way because if has a single cover .

But you can alway use a one button method. Then right clicking becomes CTRL-Mouseclick.
there are several programs that will help you set up your mouse in osx if it didnt come with any software for osx
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6884|Cologne, Germany

thanks guys
JahManRed
wank
+646|6670|IRELAND

I can't for the life of me get an wav file to burn to an Audio CD  with Toast. I can burn a hybrid Data CD but have to the copy the wav file onto my PC laptop and burn a CD from there.
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6666|Camp XRay

JahManRed wrote:

I can't for the life of me get an wav file to burn to an Audio CD  with Toast. I can burn a hybrid Data CD but have to the copy the wav file onto my PC laptop and burn a CD from there.
i am not fallowing you, so your trying to make a audio cd with wav. files?
JahManRed
wank
+646|6670|IRELAND

Marlboroman82 wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Yes, my MAC is in my recording studio and my mix downs come out as wav files. When I burn the mix down wav file to an audio CD, it won't play in any CD players.
I use toast, and have reinstalled it many times.

OFF TOPIC:
Not so long ago I had to install OS 9 OVER OSx so I could install duel processors. Now that was messed up. I uttered my first curse words at a MAC.
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6666|Camp XRay

JahManRed wrote:

Marlboroman82 wrote:

JahManRed wrote:

Yes, my MAC is in my recording studio and my mix downs come out as wav files. When I burn the mix down wav file to an audio CD, it won't play in any CD players.
I use toast, and have reinstalled it many times.

OFF TOPIC:
Not so long ago I had to install OS 9 OVER OSx so I could install duel processors. Now that was messed up. I uttered my first curse words at a MAC.
really not sure, try converting them to mp3 before burning to see if that makes a difference. if not then i really am at a loss on this one.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6670|IRELAND

Ta for trying, but theirs no point in recording someone through a £3000 microphone, into a state of the art recording unit, then converting, compressing and ultimately affecting the quality of said audio track. Might as well use a "My First Karaoke" to do the recording.lol.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6799|Hell, p.o box 666

ok, you Mac´rs... Something studio recording related here too.

In most recording studios the producers work with Mac´s and a tool called Logic! As our label just gave us some Euros for building a own studio (nothing special) we´re thinking about buying two Mac´s too.

Im just curious, why is a Mac better for recording jobs than a Windows based system?
Marlboroman82
+1,022|6666|Camp XRay

Sl4y3r wrote:

In most recording studios the producers work with Mac´s and a tool called Logic! As our label just gave us some Euros for building a own studio (nothing special) we´re thinking about buying two Mac´s too.

Im just curious, why is a Mac better for recording jobs than a Windows based system?
yes, with out getting to indepth yes
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6799|Hell, p.o box 666

Marlboroman82 wrote:

Sl4y3r wrote:

yes, with out getting to indepth yes
ok, so much about the if! What about the why???

Instead of wasting money for those Mac´s we can get some good other musician hardware if there isnt too much diffrence between those systems.

Tell me, tell me now!
JahManRed
wank
+646|6670|IRELAND

Sl4y3r wrote:

I'm just curious, why is a Mac better for recording jobs than a Windows based system?
Without a doubt yes.
I'll give you the facts.
We had a brand new P4 3.4ghz PC with 2gig of RAM. It struggled with 6 16bit tracks recording at once.
We changed to an older G4 MAC with 768gig of RAM and it could run 12, 16bit tracks no problems. We upgraded the processor to duel processors anyway and it runs like a dream.
We can mix down 18 tracks at once with multiple effects on each track. We have never once had a crash.
The PC crashed 2 out of three times.

As a test, we recorded 24 tracks of full audio for 30min's without a glitch I was even able to minimize pro tools and type a letter at the same time and my mac is 4 years old!!

We have duel fire wire special hard drives. I don't know the details really, my partner in the studio is an Audio Engineer.
Our G4 MAC was specially built for audio, so make sure you specify that when ordering.

Sure screw the studio Slayer...........fly to Ireland and we will record you, then you can spend the money on evil.

Last edited by JahManRed (2007-05-25 08:09:25)

Marlboroman82
+1,022|6666|Camp XRay

JahManRed wrote:

Sl4y3r wrote:

I'm just curious, why is a Mac better for recording jobs than a Windows based system?
Without a doubt yes.
I'll give you the facts.
We had a brand new P4 3.4ghz PC with 2gig of RAM. It struggled with 6 16bit tracks recording at once.
We changed to an older G4 MAC with 768gig of RAM and it could run 12, 16bit tracks no problems. We upgraded the processor to duel processors anyway and it runs like a dream.
We can mix down 18 tracks at once with multiple effects on each track. We have never once had a crash.
The PC crashed 2 out of three times.

As a test, we recorded 24 tracks of full audio for 30min's without a glitch I was even able to minimize pro tools and type a letter at the same time and my mac is 4 years old!!

We have duel fire wire special hard drives. I don't know the details really, my partner in the studio is an Audio Engineer.
Our G4 MAC was specially built for audio, so make sure you specify that when ordering.

Sure screw the studio Slayer...........fly to Ireland and we will record you, then you can spend the money on evil.
what he said
Bernadictus
+1,055|6779

Sl4y3r wrote:

I can't give you a why, except all major editing programs are made for the mac and are simple to use.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6814|PNW

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Mac and PC users, you mean. XP isn't the only OS out there for our side of the street. What I want to know is how you feel about paying a premium price for hardware that isn't exactly bleeding-edge? I mean, Apple updates their stuff now and then, but the periods seem few and far between.
Well I have a fully upgraded iMac, so I can;t stuff in anymore.
But somethimes I also wonder why Apple doesn't ship certain models with certain hadware.
Like they still sell the 7900GT with the MacPro, while the nVidia series has far better models allready.

Paying more is annoying when the difference is +50 euro's but you rest asure that using that piece of hardware will not compromise the warantee of your machine.

I can buy hardware specifically for my iMac that may cost more, but it allows me to maintain my 3 year warantee on the machine itself.
It all seems fairly dubious. I've used both and haven't felt a huge difference between the two.
In addendum, in the business I've troubleshooted more PC's than Macs (market share, anyone?), but I did get my share of Macs on the sick-bed. In my experience, I haven't really detected too big of a difference in application performance between the two when they are both properly-maintained.

I suppose one reason why I am still biased against Apple is because they flick on my subconscious proprietary alarm (not that PC's don't have that problem...first rig was a Compaq Presario). And as silly as it may sound, the ads with the tinker-toy music don't help. I even saw a recent one that slammed trial software...

xBlackPantherx wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What I want to know is how you feel about paying a premium price for hardware that isn't exactly bleeding-edge? I mean, Apple updates their stuff now and then, but the periods seem few and far between.
That's because Mac's seldom have a need to further enhance they're products unless something new is discovered, or is made.
Or because they don't see any reason to charge you fair prices for their hardware's relative age?

Bernadictus wrote:

...all major editing programs are made for the mac and are simple to use.
And the PC, though we do have some duds in editing software (Premiere, anyone)?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-25 10:53:59)

archmadtramp
+1|6348|Stupid Pig Flying Down
Here's one I thought of during computer apps... Since The Apple II (I think) was the original "Personal Computer," why aren't they called PC's, instead of the other way around? Hmmm
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6880|A Small Isle in the Tropics

archmadtramp wrote:

Here's one I thought of during computer apps... Since The Apple II (I think) was the original "Personal Computer," why aren't they called PC's, instead of the other way around? Hmmm
I suspect that it has largely to do with IBM PC back in the early 80s, which spawned the IBM PC-compatible machines. That term may have stuck since then.
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6570|Belgium

JahManRed wrote:

Sl4y3r wrote:

If the highlighted is true...
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6688
Would you say Windows is better than mac based on your experience or would it be other way around?
Bernadictus
+1,055|6779

blademaster wrote:

Would you say Windows is better than mac based on your experience or would it be other way around?
Mac OS X all the way. No doubt about it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6814|PNW

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What I want to know is how you feel about paying a premium price for hardware that isn't exactly bleeding-edge? I mean, Apple updates their stuff now and then, but the periods seem few and far between.
That's because Mac's seldom have a need to further enhance they're products unless something new is discovered, or is made.
Or because they don't see any reason to charge you fair prices for their hardware's relative age?
Addendum:

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/unnamednewbie13/impressive.jpg
So yeah, they're passing the savings straight to the customer. But look on the bright side: you get a white chassis...racist.

One of my friends cobbled together a quad core PC with 4GB DDR2-800 and two 8800GTX's for a little more than that. Whenever Mac sends an ad to me, I marvel at how flashy it is, but then my gut churns. Mac...system of my dreams, eh.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-28 21:24:41)

B.Schuss

I think there is little doubt that, based on the speed / performance of the individual components alone, you can get a self-built, windows-based system that offers more for less money.

But if you look at things like hardware performance, based on how the various components work together, system stability and how software works on the system, the Mac will be superior, simply because all the components were designed to work with each other.
This is why professionals working in sound / video editing, or advertising / graphics design will often choose a Mac over a regular windows-based PC.

Personally, because I mostly use the PC for gaming, and some web-browsing, I have always built my own systems, and all were windows-based. I can live with the occasional system-freeze or bluescreen, and the software issues ( drivers, for example ), because I know I am saving a hell of a lot of money.

If I had the money, though, I'd probably own a Mac.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6814|PNW

Indubitably. If I want something that would render for days with virtually no chance of crashing, a Mac would probably be a more solid choice...unless it was afflicted with some oddball Mac bug that's a pain in the ass to troubleshoot. As it is, my PC has only crashed once on long-term renders with proper software.
B.Schuss

btw, do I need antivirus software / firewall for Mac ? Most of the retailers offer such software, but is it necessary ?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6775|St. Andrews / Oslo

B.Schuss wrote:

btw, do I need antivirus software / firewall for Mac ? Most of the retailers offer such software, but is it necessary ?
Yes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Marinejuana
local
+415|6628|Seattle

Bernadictus wrote:

Just like they are on their PC counterpart. The only difference is the coding.
Under Bootcamp, my BF2, BF2142, CNC3 actually runs better than on my regular PC.
Are you shamelessly lying to make Apple sound better or do you have a really shitty PC?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard