CowboySwim
+24|6195|BEHIND YOU!!!
No news article here...Just an interesting confrontation at school a couple of days ago.  I have been talking to a Marine recruiter on and off for about a month now, and I decided not to go into the service just yet... maybe after college, but that's not the story here.  I noticed that there were some of those liberal anti-recruiter "other options" people out in the hallway as I made my way in to talk to the Marine.  We talked for about fifteen minutes before one of these ladies from the hallway walked up to the table and said, "I see that you are looking at joining the Marines.  You should take a look at this booklet and maybe think of something different to do."  The Marine I was talking to looked dumbfounded that somebody would have the nerve to walk up to somebody that he is working with and completely interrupt him and do something like this.  She then proceeded to tell him that she thought what he was doing was, "Wrong."  He stayed very calm and just stared at her until she left.  What are your guys' ideas on this?  Was what she did OK?  And another thing...If these people don't want recruiters working to get more men and women in the military, how do they think America is going to survive?  I just don't understand the anti-military/recruitment people...
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6673|USA
Draft
motherdear
+25|6662|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
i don't agree with their methods, but maybe these anti recruitment guys should have their own anti recruitment day in school or something so that it could be fair, because it's not fair that the anti recruiters can't work under the same conditions as the recruiters.

just to let you know i am going to join USMC myself so it's not because i got something against the forces, but it is democracy and it's very biased only to have one side in the schools to argument for their cause.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England

motherdear wrote:

i don't agree with their methods, but maybe these anti recruitment guys should have their own anti recruitment day in school or something so that it could be fair, because it's not fair that the anti recruiters can't work under the same conditions as the recruiters.

just to let you know i am going to join USMC myself so it's not because i got something against the forces, but it is democracy and it's very biased only to have one side in the schools to argument for their cause.
Might be abit hard to join the USMC if you're in Denmark. Why not just join the Danish forces? Or do you want to be cool like those people in Jarhead and all those other films and games. Have some pride for your own country and it's unlikely that you're gonna get in the USMC if you're not a US Citizen. Unless you are a US Citizen living in Denmark, then by all means run into the USMC office demanding they take you, until they surrender, and let you in.

Anyway, I agree that they both have a right to recruit and anti-recruit and that there should be designated days for each event.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6641|USA
Anti-recruitment?  WTF is that anyway. 

"We saw you wanted to join the marines, but we think you should find something better to do!"  Who do these people think they are?  The parents of these kids?  Where were these people when people were lining up to join companies like BP or the Sego mine company?
CowboySwim
+24|6195|BEHIND YOU!!!

smtt686 wrote:

Anti-recruitment?  WTF is that anyway.
They are the liberal people who come to schools to tell kids that the military is bad and that they would be better off doing something like getting a job at a plumbing company (no joke...was in the brochure they gave me) or work for the peace corps...  I didn't even know the lady who talked to me, but I knew that I hated her!  I just found it funny because the last time the anti-recruiting people came they got flamed like crazy!  We have a couple of kids already enlisted in the Army and Marines who are set to go to training after graduation, and they gave the people so much crap.  They actually give out brochures full of lies.  I know this may not be true for all of them, but the people who came to my school were just...  annoying.

Last edited by CowboySwim (2007-05-24 09:51:36)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ
If you think what a recruiter does is ok, then I guess what the anti-recruiter does is ok too. Right?
ƒ³
CowboySwim
+24|6195|BEHIND YOU!!!

oug wrote:

If you think what a recruiter does is ok, then I guess what the anti-recruiter does is ok too. Right?
I guess I do agree with that, the thing I didn't like was the anti-recruiter coming up during my meeting with a recruiter and basically telling me I was stupid for thinking about joining the military.  You don't see military recruiters going up to the anti-recruiters tables telling them that they are wrong, or stupid.  They can both do whatever they want.  That is what America is about.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6629|InGerLand
anti-recruitment people are in the right with their ideas, but he should have slapped her for interupting him the dumb arse cow.
A reasonable point to consider is that if you join you will not be fighting for your country, you will be fighting somewhere foreign for foreigners with your only motive being "because maybe you will stop some terrorists at some point"
I mean what enemies has America really got to fight against anymore?
Although ultimatly once you've listened to all sides of the argument and thought about it, it is your choice not anyone elses.
Fen321
+54|6508|Singularity

CowboySwim wrote:

oug wrote:

I guess I do agree with that, the thing I didn't like was the anti-recruiter coming up during my meeting with a recruiter and basically telling me I was stupid for thinking about joining the military.  You don't see military recruiters going up to the anti-recruiters tables telling them that they are wrong, or stupid.  They can both do whatever they want.  That is what America is about.
There are no anti-recruiter tables i think that's the point other people have been trying to make...
CowboySwim
+24|6195|BEHIND YOU!!!

sfarrar33 wrote:

anti-recruitment people are in the right with their ideas, but he should have slapped her for interupting him the dumb arse cow.
A reasonable point to consider is that if you join you will not be fighting for your country, you will be fighting somewhere foreign for foreigners with your only motive being "because maybe you will stop some terrorists at some point"
I mean what enemies has America really got to fight against anymore?
Although ultimatly once you've listened to all sides of the argument and thought about it, it is your choice not anyone elses.
Yeah, I totally understand that.  That is why I decided to put it off until at least after college.  I got a 60% scholarship to the University of Wyoming for swimming and I'm going to take them up on it.  Lol.  I really want to get into either the Marines or the Air Force after college though and fly.  I don't even care what, just fly.  But it made me laugh that you said "dumb arse cow" cause the lady was ugly as fuck and probably weighed in at about a cow and a half. 

Last edited by CowboySwim (2007-05-24 10:07:40)

JahManRed
wank
+646|6638|IRELAND

CowboySwim wrote:

No news article here...Just an interesting confrontation at school a couple of days ago.  I have been talking to a Marine recruiter on and off for about a month now, and I decided not to go into the service just yet... maybe after college, but that's not the story here.  I noticed that there were some of those liberal anti-recruiter "other options" people out in the hallway as I made my way in to talk to the Marine.  We talked for about fifteen minutes before one of these ladies from the hallway walked up to the table and said, "I see that you are looking at joining the Marines.  You should take a look at this booklet and maybe think of something different to do."  The Marine I was talking to looked dumbfounded that somebody would have the nerve to walk up to somebody that he is working with and completely interrupt him and do something like this.  She then proceeded to tell him that she thought what he was doing was, "Wrong."  He stayed very calm and just stared at her until she left.  What are your guys' ideas on this?  Was what she did OK?
If Marines are allowed to come into schools to recruit you then people should be allowed to tell you about the alternative, or at least let you know some of the info left out of the recruitment sales pitch, its going to be one sided, so this may even the balance.. Coming into schools to recruit people into the military shouldn't be allowed IMO. She should have been more tactful by waiting to you have concluded your chat with the Marine and then pulled you a side to give you her pitch afterwards tho. She's not doing herself or her movement any favours by being aggressive about it.

CowboySwim wrote:

And another thing...If these people don't want recruiters working to get more men and women in the military, how do they think America is going to survive?  I just don't understand the anti-military/recruitment people...
This type of aggressive recruitment strategy is only required because the US military is in Iraqi, a nation which has never been a threat to American 'survival', so don't believe that survival shit for a start. The only survival it guarantees is the survival of lower gas prices and that isn't worth dying for.
The anti recruitment ppl are probably anti war people too, who don't want to see their country men & women duped into risking their lives over a fictional threat that was never there and which the government 'sexed up' Intel to convince you of. The majority of Americans  and Iraqis don't want the war. The whole Iraqi mess has in fact increased the threat of terrorism against the US.

If you are joining the Marines, do it for the right reasons, not to risk your life controlling a patch of desert because some rich senators who's sons will never see a grain of sand, want to play chess on the world board with you as a pawn.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6629|InGerLand

CowboySwim wrote:

Yeah, I totally understand that.  That is why I decided to put it off until at least after college.  I got a 60% scholarship to the University of Wyoming for swimming and I'm going to take them up on it.  Lol.  I really want to get into either the Marines or the Air Force after college though and fly.  I don't even care what, just fly.  But it made me laugh that you said "dumb arse cow" cause the lady was ugly as fuck and probably weighed in at about a cow and a half. 
lol did she have a hat on? or curly hair?
CowboySwim
+24|6195|BEHIND YOU!!!

JahManRed wrote:

If Marines are allowed to come into schools to recruit you then people should be allowed to tell you about the alternative, or at least let you know some of the info left out of the recruitment sales pitch, its going to be one sided, so this may even the balance.. Coming into schools to recruit people into the military shouldn't be allowed IMO. She should have been more tactful by waiting to you have concluded your chat with the Marine and then pulled you a side to give you her pitch afterwards tho. She's not doing herself or her movement any favours by being aggressive about it.
I agree with you that if the Marine recruiters can come into schools and pitch their ideas, then the anti-recruitment people have every right to come into schools and talk to us too.  The thing that really made me mad was her interupting the talk that I was having with the recruiter.  I would have been happy to listen to her after I talked to the recruiter, even if I thought that she was wrong.

JahManRed wrote:

If you are joining the Marines, do it for the right reasons, not to risk your life controlling a patch of desert because some rich senators who's sons will never see a grain of sand, want to play chess on the world board with you as a pawn.
Like I said before, that is why I am putting it off until after college if I even do it then.  I don't agree with the war in Iraq, and I know that all it is doing is getting our good American soldiers killed for nothing.  Except for maybe lower gas prices, or another country's people.  It is extremely lame and not at all worth it.  I would rather pay $10 per gallon of gas then see anymore names coming in of our soldiers getting killed by the cowards and their IEDs.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6355|Twyford, UK
Yeah, these 'ethical' types are getting stupider. Got approached the other week by evangelists in monster costumes, using standard cult recruitment tactics. The pause when I explained I was an atheist and not prepared to change my beliefs was almost enough to make me giggle.

And the animal rights lobby were irritating me the other day, as well. It's a good thing I can't own a flamethrower, because they would have got it.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6725|US
I don't like that idea...and, yes, I am biased!  I don't see an acceptable reason for "anti-recruitment" booths.  College, tech school, business, and military booths are advocating higher education or employment.  What does an "anti-recruiting" booth provide?  Telling me that I should be a plumber rather than a Marine is of little to no value to me!

If we allow them in, shouldn't we allow political groups in as well...or maybe let churches set up booths!...OH NO! Separation of church and state!  Where do you draw the line?  I say that we should limit booths to education and employment providers only.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2007-05-24 20:08:52)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

I've never experienced this in all my four years of AFJROTC. The only anti-military thing I've experienced while in cadet uniform was a coked-up kid deciding it'd be funny to whip my flight cap off, and even he was JROTC. But what anti-recruitment people don't realize is that if they succeed in their goal of drastically reducing the number of volunteers for military service, they'll just be dragging us towards another draft.
David.P
Banned
+649|6284
Fuck the anti recruiters. Ask them if they want to live in a society where they cant protest? Then get back at the bitch. I say fuck with her locker or if you're like me(And i hope you will never be) Mind fuck with her until she wants to kill herself.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6654

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Draft
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6578|Mountains of NC

JahManRed wrote:

when the military comes into schools they set up tables and set there, YOU have to come to them - they don't come to you till you have showed interest in a particular branch ... they are at schools maybe 2 - 3 times a year

the alternative do get there chance they have Job Day and College Day plus there are alot of liberal teachers out there shoving there unbiased views down kids throats 

JahManRed wrote:

This type of aggressive recruitment strategy is only required because the US military is in Iraqi, a nation which has never been a threat to American 'survival', so don't believe that survival shit for a start. The only survival it guarantees is the survival of lower gas prices and that isn't worth dying for.
aggressive recruitment strategy - what aggresive strategy did the recruiter display, they sat and talked

never been a threat to American survival - hmmmmmm theres al-qaeda in Iraqi, they could be in America blowing shit up but they are stuck in Iraqi looks like they are fighting for our survival

JahManRed wrote:

The anti recruitment ppl are probably anti war people too, who don't want to see their country men & women duped into risking their lives over a fictional threat that was never there and which the government 'sexed up' Intel to convince you of. The majority of Americans  and Iraqis don't want the war. The whole Iraqi mess has in fact increased the threat of terrorism against the US..
Iraqis don't want us there - things must have changed in the last 48 hours bc after talking to a few of my buddies over there the ppl are still thankful

increased the threat - hmmmmmmmmmmmm the threat has been there long before the war started and will continue to be there long after it ends

JahManRed wrote:

its more than then a patch of sand, way to be sympathetic to the Iraqis bc if we just cut and run that country will implode
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6290

David.Podedworny wrote:

Fuck the anti recruiters. Ask them if they want to live in a society where they cant protest? Then get back at the bitch. I say fuck with her locker or if you're like me(And i hope you will never be) Mind fuck with her until she wants to kill herself.
So what you're saying is, ask her if she'd like to live in a society where she can't protest without being fucked with, and then show her that she's living in a society where she can't protest without being fucked with.

Tell me, what's it like to not be able to percieve irony?

Oh and the bit at the end there where you give us a brief glimpse into your heart of darkness is truly chilling.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria
...I'm not gonna lie, I never even new there was such a thing as an anti-recruiter. I mean, anti-military, sure, but anti-recruiter?
David.P
Banned
+649|6284

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

So what you're saying is, ask her if she'd like to live in a society where she can't protest without being fucked with, and then show her that she's living in a society where she can't protest without being fucked with.
No i dont mean that, I mean dont take your anger out on the soldiers, Take it out on the policy leaders, Aka Bush.

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

Tell me, what's it like to not be able to percieve irony?
Irony? It is ironic that someone can use something which many people died for to stand against the very people who helped give it to her.

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

Oh and the bit at the end there where you give us a brief glimpse into your heart of darkness is truly chilling.
I am not an emo, I cant stand their constant whining and bitching about life and shit! I've been fucked by so many things in life and i dont whine, Hell whatever does'nt kill me makes me stronger,smarter, faster, etc. I only think like this because i'm an AA(anti-asshole) I will do the same things people do to me or others if they deserve it, You try and kill me i will kill you, You kill someone for worshipping a different god then i will kill you for worshipping your god, I hate assholes seriously the world is full of them thats why i'm glad i'm a dick unlike some people here.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6774

JahManRed wrote:

When I went to High School they were only allowed in a future planning room and we were only allowed to meet them during our lunch.  They also showed up to the career fairs there, and at college, but not allowed on the school grounds elsewhere to recruit.  They had to ask for permits if they are out there with the rest of the people with tables on a regular day at my University and don't get to go anywhere and always have eyes on them by school adminstration.

JahManRed wrote:

The anti recruitment ppl are probably anti war people too, who don't want to see their country men & women duped into risking their lives over a fictional threat that was never there and which the government 'sexed up' Intel to convince you of. The majority of Americans  and Iraqis don't want the war. The whole Iraqi mess has in fact increased the threat of terrorism against the US.
War = Higher Gas Prices. Don't believe me, look at the price of gas in 2000, 2001, 2003 and now 2007 for the United States.  Due to having to supply massive amounts of fuel to the troops the price for civilians goes up, we're just lucky it isn't rationed as well. (Oh no civilians making a sacrafice for a war effort, not in this day and age.) 

Oh shit man, do you ever read both sides of an agrument? For fuck's sake this is like reading an anti-recruitment brochure.  Ok, here is a small list of terrorist activities carried out against the United States before the war in Iraq.

1. 1983 Beirut Bombing: 220 Marines, 18 Sailors and 3 Soldiers were killed with a suicide bomber drove a truck into their barracks
2. 1993 World Trade Center Bombing:  Al Qaeda linked/spondered/trained terrorist detonate a truck in the parking structures of the WTC tower 1 b]killing six and injuring [one thousand and forty two[/b].
3. 2000 USS Cole: 17 Sailors killed and 39 injured when Islamic Terrorist Detonated a boat laden suicide bomb on the port side of the US Navy Ship.
4. 2001 WTC/Pentagon Attacks:  WTC: 2,603 Killed, 24 Missing (to this date I believe the listing still haven't changed). Pentagon: 125 Killed. Flights: American 11: 88; United 175: 59; American 77: 59; United 93: 40.  For a total of 2,974 killed and 24 missing in the single worst terrorist attack against the United States.

A few more:
1.1974 TWA Flight 841: Bomb kills 88 on jetliner linkeed to Abu Nidal and his organization (Palestine in orgin).
2. 1977 Washington, D.C.: Militant African-American Muslims Hanafi sect take 100 hostages, kill one and shoot a city councilman in the chest.
3. 1979 Iran Hostage Crisis. 444 day standoff where the new Iranian regime students held 66 diplomats and US citizens hostage in Teran.
4. 1990 assassination of Meir Kahane: Early elements of Al Qaeda assassinate the Head of Israel's Koch part in a Manhattan, New York hotel lobby.
5.  1993 Langley, Virginia: Mir Aimal Kansi from Pakistan fires an AK-47 into cars at a stoplight in front of the CIA headquarters killing two and injuring three.
6. 1993 WTC bombing: see above.
7. 1993 Failed New York City landmark Bombplot: Was suppose to be carried out by Omar Abdel-Rahman and his followers (a radical Muslim cleric from New York City).  It was to target the UN headquarters, Lincoln and Holland Tunnels, George Wasington Bridge, FBI main office in NYC, possibly Jewish targets, and the assassinations of US Senator Al D'amato and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. 
8. 1995 Attacks in Pakistan:  Terrorists murder two American consulate employees and wound a third.
9. 1997 Empire State Building Shooting:  Ali Abu Kamal shoot and killed a Danish national and wounded numerous other sight seers before commiting suicide.  His daughter, interviewed in 2007, said that her father wanted to punish the United States for its support of Israel.  This is futher supported by a handwritten note carried by Kamal at the scene claiming the attack was a punishment against the "enemies of Palestine".
10. 1998 US Embassy bombings:  Al Qaeda detonates bombs in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Kenya killing 225 and injuring more then 4,000 at U.S. Embassies.
11. 2000 Millennium attack plots:  Attacks on the USS The Sullivans, LAX, and religious sites in Jordan were all foiled.  The attacker destined for LAX over the US-Canada border became cooperative and later revealed intel that there were (not where and who but just that there were) sleeper cells operating in the US to strike against it.  Jordan officals stopped and arrested over 16 militants and the boat to attack the USS The Sullivans sank before detonating its payload.  All the attacks were linked to Al Qaeda.
12. 2000 USS Cole Attack: see above.
13. 2001 WTC/Pentagon Attacks: see above.
14. 2001 Anthrax attacks:  Notes sent to Senators and news media laced with Anthrax.  The notes contained the 3 lines "Death to America, Death to Israel, Allah is Great" as well as some individual ones per note.  The case was never solved and no group ever claimed responsibility (similar to 9/11 as no one claimed the responsibility but was quickly traced)
15. 2001 American Airlines Flight 63: Self proclaimed Al Qaeda operative attempted to detonate a shoe bomb but was subdued by the crew and passengers.
16. 2002 LA internation Airport: An Egyptian gunman opens fire and kills two Israelis before killing himself at the El Al ticket counter
17. 2004 Herald Square: Shahawar Matin Siraj, a Pakistani-American planned to bomb the Herald Square subway station in Manhattan, New York, during the 2004 Republican National Convention.
18. 2006 Univ. of North Carolina: Mohammed Reza Taheri-azar, an Iranian-born U.S. citizen, confessed to intentionally hittyin people with a car on the campus to "avenge the deaths of Muslims worldwide" and to punish the U.S. Government.  None were killed but nine were injuried.  He later wrote "I was aiming to follow in the footsteps of one of my role models, Mohammad Atta, one of the 9/11/01 hijackers, who obtained a doctorate degree." and "Allah in the Koran gives permission for those who follow Allah to attack those who have waged war against them."
19. 2006 Heathrow Airport:  The UK stops a major terrorist operation allegedly trying to bomb multiple airplanes bound for the United States.
20.  2006 San Francisco Bay area: An Afgani Muslim, Omeed Aziz Popal, hits 19 pedestrians, killing one, in the San Francisco Bay area.  Police say there was no terrorism intention, but several witnesses from the area reported that Popal claimed to be a terrorist.  This one is up in the air on wether it was mental illness or terrorist intent.
21. 2007 Fort Dix: Six radical Islamist were arrested by the FBI for planning to attack and kill US service members at Fort Dix.  These six had plans to purchase AK-47s, M16s, M60s, RPGs, other rockets, 9mm handguns, C-4, nitroglycerin from an underground military dealer who had recently returned from Egypt.

This isn't all of them, another list, longer, but still short.  This doesn't include other groups such as the FLNA, home grown, attacks on the UK, attacks on Europian countries, Russia, Eastern, etc. etc.  So there is your proof that there was never any ill will or harm meant to the United States from Islamic militants, terrorists, or Al Qaeda.

JahManRed wrote:

And you're not a pawn.  Unless you are one of the chess players on the international board then you are a pawn.  Economics, politics, and warfare are the three major arenas and your job falls into it somewhere, supporting it somehow.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6776|Cambridge (UK)
It's called freedom of speech. And it is a good thing. Whether you agree with their opinions or not.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard