Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6771|Madrid, Spain
I usually play a lot on Warlord Only servers. I love that map. I also like to be commander, and I think I am damn good at it. I drop supplies, deploy UAV, repair my own stuff, keep the squads moving and all the stuff.
If I play commander a couple of times in a row, I politely ask if someone wants to be commander.
that happened to me the other day. As soon as I asked, I waited for replies. Silence. Ok, so I choose to be commander again!! Great, I like it. As soon as I deploy my first UAV, a n00b starts a vote against me.
Surprised as I can be, I ask him if he wants to be commander. No reply. Game goes on, still me commanding, we win. Next round I let the n00b command. No UAV, no supplies, nothing... and the guy keeps sitting in the APC camping a flag. So I call a vote against him. He got kicked as commander. I ask again if someone wants to command next round. A guy tells me "keep it up! U doin' a great job!" I also received nice comments from teammates like " nice move commander" when I launch arty on attacked flags.
That made me feel great. 4 more wins for me and the Insurgents against angry SAS.

Why those smacktards want to be commander?? I don't get it...

I usually qualify the job of the commander and I think it is necessary to have a good commander to win. I bet u all agree on that topic. Just wanted to share my happiness / frustration with u on that. 
R.Rabshaw
+1|6722
I want the minute of my life I spent reading that back please. Honestly, that was pointless.
JimmyFo
+1|6759
Chill dude, he's got a good point. Problem is, servers I play on have 1 second timeouts on votes or they're disabled altogether -
F.Rabshaw
+37|6725
Someone asking "does anyone want to command" is a bf2 pet peeve of mine. thats kind of why there is that "apply" button on the squad screen. The game chooses who will be commander, not you.
Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6771|Madrid, Spain
I ask if someone wants to command if I am surrounded by pvt's or gunnery sergeants or stuff like that.... n00b.... I know the game decides from the ones who apply depending on rank or general score if rank is tied.
VeNg3nCe^
¦Tactics Øver Principles¦
+314|6748|Antarctica
I think the problem is this:

n00b can't get more than 15 points a round
n00b sees commander get 80 points every round
n00b thinks he can be an expert commander but causes the team to lose
n00b is mad at the good commander cos he knows how to command
Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6771|Madrid, Spain
I will reply to this thread writing very slowly because I know some n00bs can't read fast.

that's a pretty good explanation, Vengeance!

When I was a n00b (and everybody is a n00b at least the first 3 or 4 days) I asked if I could command, just to try. A first sergeant was commanding all the time and nobody could do anything about it. He was nice and he did let me try. I had seen my mates doin' that stuff before. We won, and since then I like commanding so much. Regardless of what my score is, I always focus on how to WIN the round. That first sergeant, a guy from Canada, was kind to me that day. So I am now and I try not to be commander all the time, I know some people out there might want to do it too. That's all I have to say about it.
Well in fact we were talkin' about smacktards playing for themselves, statpadders and rednecks who don't know what teamwork is (maybe except if their own brothers are piloting)

Nuff said.

Last edited by Stratocaster (2006-01-22 23:27:14)

Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6735|Calgary
Well said, !
crotchlemur
+8|6728|The Lemur's Den
Boo yah, Straponmaster!  I'm in full agreement.  I like playing commander but i have to be in the right frame of mind or else i'll just screw it up.  I'll defer to someone else in those cases.  If i still don't see someone take over, i'll step in and try to win the round for my team.

F.Rubraw seems so versed in the game and yet his wisdom is lost in his noobtube
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6817|Noizyland

I find Commander a really hard position to fill. I give orders, drop helpful artillery, that either gets enemies only or nothing at all, (i.e: no friendly kills at all.) I listen to requests of my squads and fulfil them if I can, UAV, Supplies, paying full attention to my duty; I do it all. Orders are the tricky thing. I can see so much more from my vantage point, but when I deliver orders, Squad leaders just go 'Yes sir,' and then do whatever they want. It's really annoying. Basicly when i'm commander and no-one's paying attention to me, i can do whatever I drive tanks, shoot guys, and occasionally drop artillery  supplies and deploy UAVs. I find nothing wrong with that, although my secondary habit may be thought of as 'smacktard-ish' but oh well.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6771|Madrid, Spain

crotchlemur wrote:

Boo yah, Straponmaster!  I'm in full agreement.  I like playing commander but i have to be in the right frame of mind or else i'll just screw it up.  I'll defer to someone else in those cases.  If i still don't see someone take over, i'll step in and try to win the round for my team.

F.Rubraw seems so versed in the game and yet his wisdom is lost in his noobtube
LOL      thx for agreeing mr. crab merlin !!

I also agree with Tyferra, sometimes squads do what they want, that's when I start thinking of switching to another server.
RhadamanthysSCC
+2|6766|Perth, Western Australia

Stratocaster wrote:

I usually qualify the job of the commander and I think it is necessary to have a good commander to win. I bet u all agree on that topic. Just wanted to share my happiness / frustration with u on that. 
I don't agree at all. A commander is not a necessary component of victory. Sure a commander helps and a good one helps a lot but I've been in games where we've won without a commander despite the enemy commander's best efforts.

Good teamwork is far more important than a good commander and even that isn't necessary if you've got enough good players on your side, for example a top-notch heli-crew and a good armour whore for the US on Sharqi can dominate the map, same with Cleansweep, a coupla good pilots/heli-crews and a handful of good tankers can hold the MEC flags against most any assault the US can manage...

Last edited by RhadamanthysSCC (2006-01-23 23:53:45)

Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6771|Madrid, Spain
Well some rounds have been won without commander but I myself can face an army full of n00bs and hold the gold medal at the end of the round.
When you are fighting on the ground, you thank god the UAV comes your way, and when your APC starts to buzz and smoke, you thank god for the supplies crate. Considering one good soldier can kill 25 n00bs in a row and a good armor pilot can kill 23234454545 n00bs in one round, I think it is a must to have a commander. IMHO
You are right when you say good teamwork is necessary and I agree. But if a commander gives orders and nobody obeys..... then it's hard to win.
The formula is :

balanced teams = need a commander

top-nothc players vs n00bs = no need but still makes easier for players

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard