DobermanDog
+0|6709

Atlas wrote:

DobermanDog wrote:

Atlas wrote:

I have to agree with you man. I tried the N50 and it was no good. I'm sure the N52 is better and all, but I have been using a keyboard all my life, nothing is more natural at this point than my keyboard and mouse. Also, why take up extra desk space with an N52 when a keyboard does basically the same exact thing?
Because as has been pointed out, for people able to adapt, the Nostromo does it better?  And with less risk of RSI.
Prove it... I'm sure you get owned every day by keyboard users. That's what people said about the N50, I bought it, and it was crap. Not enough buttons, and if I needed to type something I had to take my hand completely away from the controls to do so. Just another annoyance. I doubt buying an N52 is going to make anyone better at BF2.
My ability level versus other people is not the question here.  Though, I'm not surprised that you'd be immature enough to not pay attention to anything that's been said and make that assumption.  Seems pretty typical.   Lemme try to explain it again for the simple minded adolescents.  Pay careful attention.

Is anything like this going to magically make you a killer in ANY game?  Nope.  No one's making that claim.  If you get used to it (and can wrap your brain around "shift states") can it make your gaming experience (and possibly your actual gameplay) better?  Definately.    I spend less time stretching across the keyboard for keys with the Nostromo.  Any microsecond not spent reaching for keys is time that I can spend doing something else. 

The N50 was a little lacking in keys.  That's already been mentioned here.  (Have difficulty reading or is it just the comprehension you find troubling?  Or do you just jump into a thread & spout uninformed crap without seeing what's aleady been said?)  The N52 more than rectified that shortcoming.  That being said, I never really ran into a game that I couldn't work up a decent N50 profile for.

As has already been pointed out (Hey, there's that statement again) the Nostrom can handle scores of different commands, when you use the shift states.  Of course, that requires a little manual dexterity and the intelligence to remember those commands.  Maybe that's where you run into problems?

If you use games such as BF2 as an online chat room and need to be constantly typing on the keyboard, well, that's your issue.  Personally, I Skype with my teammates in most games and find that the Quick Comm menu covers pretty much everything else in BF2.  If I want to type to someone in-game, I'm certainly not going to do it in a situation where I can't take my hand off the Nostromo for a second.  You've gotta take your hand off the mouse to type quickly & effectively don't you?  (Though, maybe you're so skilled at doing one-handed activities that you can type "W00t!  pwned!" with that hand.)   Personally, my Nostromo is just inches away from my keyboard when in use.  So if I wanna say, "Hey, nice kill" or whatever to someone, it's no problem.

Another benefit that I forgot to mention previously.  When I used to go to some big (50 - 100 people) LAN parties, space was often at a premium.  I take one of those tiny flexible keyboards (such as this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … ;CatId=142) for the little bit of actual typing I've ever gotta do.  No big-ass Microsoft split keyboards or whatever.  Just that thing tucked away under the monitor and plenty of room for my Nostromo & mouse.

Just to reiterate for the slow out there:  Will a keyboard replacement like this transform you from a target to a killer overnight?  No.  Nothing will.  But it might help you to enjoy the game enough in order to keep improving.  And who knows, it may give you a little tweak that'll give you the advantage over a player of equal skill gaming on a plain keyboard.  Even if it doesn't, at least it's not gonna contribute to your carpal tunnel syndrome as much as any regular keyboard will (yes, even split ones.)
ubedead
+0|6696
wasd sucks ass!
WormGuts
+17|6817|Dayton, Ohio
i have considered this option in gaming as i'm not comfotable getting reset from vehicle to foot sometimes on the keyboard. 

however, that being said i've heard lots of good and bad about the other option...the ZBOARD.

there is a lesser known competitor to the zboard that IMHO looks more intriguiging.  the wolf claw http://www.wolf-claw.com/eboutique/product.php#2

does anyone use this little tool?  and if so what do you think?  as i'm really interested in one.

edit [btw the quoted $80 from what i've seen is $80 singapore cash which is about $50 US.]  i may be wrong though.

Last edited by WormGuts (2006-01-21 23:45:38)

Tin_Whisker
+1|6724
I own both the n50 and the n52.  I use the n52 all the time for gaming.  Once you get used to it it is much more comfortable than a standard keyboard.  A couple of notes:\

The thumb botton below the 8 point directional pad sticks if you do't hit it in the center.  This is so bad I don't use the button at all.  The directional pad sticks in the forwward position, again to the point where I don't use it. 

The orange button above the 8 point directional pad takes too much force to depress.  I use that button for squadspeak.

Other than those issues, I still use and love the n52.
SNAP
+2|6737|LONDON
Sorry to go a bit off topic but i still use the arrow keys!!
LemonChicken61
+0|6741|Minneapolis, MN USA
Bought a N52 this weekend and started playing around with it.  Still getting used to it and playing around with the profile but so far so good.  I even have a seperate button for Ventrillo in addition to Squad and Command Speak.  Nice when you just want to talk to people on Ventrillo Server.

So far I have more than enough keys.  I even managed to get both infantry and Land/Sea on one Shift State.  That may change but for now it is working out great.  I use a joystick for aircraft/helo.

Since I haven't played much BF2 on a regular keyboard to begin with, I think it has been a little bit easier for me to learn on the N52.  I haven't had any issue yet with the "orange" button.  A little stiff but not stiff enough to cause the whole thing to slide around.  I still have to get used to that thumb button for jumping but I think it is just a matter of time.

I snipe alot so I'm even thinking of progamming one of the keys to switch to pistol and fire a few rounds after a sniper shot and back to the sniper rifle.
DobermanDog
+0|6709
My Orange button loosened up a bit after continual use.  It does still take more force to depress than any of the other buttons, but it's not unreasonably tough.  The thumb button worked itself in some too.  It does take a more precise press than the size of the key would suggest, but I found that after a handful of games it was just automatic to hit it properly.

I've never had any problem with the directional pad sticking.

LemonChicken61, you don't HAVE to get used to that one for jumping.    I certainly don't have "Jump" mapped there in any game.  I suppose though, where you have "Run" mapped will have a bit to do with where you place "Jump."  For me, "Run" is backwards (DPad South) on the thumb pad and "Jump" is forward (DPad North).  That way I don't have to move my thumb to jump while running (and stop running in the process.)   I know that some folks map "Run" to a button activated with their pinky as is usual on a regular keyboard, but I use my pinky to activate the shift states.   

Anybody who'd like to take a look at my N52 profile for BF2 (or HL2, Raven Shield, FEAR, COD, etc.), send me a PM with your email and I'll zap it along to you.  I'd like to see your profile as well.  It's always interesting to see how others have approached the same problem.  Even if it doesn't work overall for me, often times I see new ideas that I hadn't thought of before that I may try out.
WNxKiddParK
+0|6689
I also have had a nostromo and N52 since they both came out.  Im a nut when it comes to stuff like that and buy everything, see if it works, then throw it in a box.  It is the ONLY USB item that has been connected to my computer since the day it was purchased, if you include the 50 with the 51, thats 5 years it's been next to my keyboard.

but wait, saitek has a nifty looking rip off of the N-52 which i have to admit, is, um, well, nifty looking, scope...
https://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/saitekusa_1877_2074413

it's easy to see where they got the idea from, but it looks like they may have added a few cool things to it to make it worth a look.  If i were belkin though, I'd cry foul at that.  But I'm not, and if it works better than the Nostromo, then im on board!

kp
DobermanDog
+0|6709
Do a Google search for reviews and I think you'll find that they've been less than flattering for Saitek's device.  I'll admit that I'm a sucker for blue glowy crap though and wish that my Nostromo did that. 
LordGoofy.sf
+0|6794
I have one I used for Joint Ops.  Anyone want to share their n52 profile? So i can try out your setup
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6720|Germany

DobermanDog wrote:

I'll admit that I'm a sucker for blue glowy crap though and wish that my Nostromo did that. 
If you really are a sucker for blue glowy things ->check out my new mouse: http://www.pc-universe.de/images/screen … ead/1g.jpg

I was really tempted to go for the poisonous green one but I'm a sucker for blue glowy crap too..
WNxKiddParK
+0|6689
Blue Glowy crap FTW!
JimCognito
+10|6704
"that being said i've heard lots of good and bad about the other option...the ZBOARD"

While it certainly looks cool...

https://i1.tinypic.com/mmyald.jpg

check out the stretch you have to do just to reload (well, my stubby hands have a problem with it)

https://i1.tinypic.com/mmyah0.jpg

Its like stretching over to T.  Ug.

That wolfclaw looks interesting to say the least.
DobermanDog
+0|6709
Mj.Blindfisch -  I looked at that one when I recently replaced my older Logitech that had a little bit of blue glowy action.  Just the Logitech logo lit up on it.  I ended up with the Logitech MX518 though.  Lets you change the resolution on the fly and crap.  No glowy though.  So I got a keyboard that does instead. 

https://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/peripherals/multimedia_keyboard/images/10_multimedia.jpg

JimCognito  -  Yeah, that was my experience when I gamed for a bit with a Z-Board.  It's an interesting concept that just doesn't seem to work in the real world.  Both the gaming part and the regular keyboard become a compromise.  The gaming keys just aren't laid out ergonimically well enough and the regular keyboard is a mess.

LordGoofy.sf - PM me your email address and I'll send you my N52 profile for BF2 and any other games we might have in common. 

Actually, here's a link to my current BF2 N52 profile.  This one's been pretty stable for about a week now so it's probably my final version.  If anyone's interested in seeing any of my profiles for other games, just PM me an email address.

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~dsh/dh-bf2.n52
WNxKiddParK
+0|6689
I find a lot of the N52'rs use the D pad to jump, but i always used it to strafe and backwards.  My brother uses his for all WASD directions, but i just cant unlock my brain into NOT using a key to move forward.

kp
JimCognito
+10|6704
hah, just noticed that nice burn on my finger looks particularly nasty in that pic.  Only been healing for 3 weeks....hehe.  Drunk + smokes + crowds |= safe.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6778
I need to get a better way of controlling in game movement. I have so many problems with the keys & my Arthritis. The Saitek one looks good, but I cant find it for sale anywhere in the UK
DobermanDog
+0|6709

WNxKiddParK wrote:

I find a lot of the N52'rs use the D pad to jump, but i always used it to strafe and backwards.  My brother uses his for all WASD directions, but i just cant unlock my brain into NOT using a key to move forward.

kp
I tried using the pad for movement but felt that I had better control of all my commands when I used the keys for moving.  That's a little odd, since I don't really have any problem using a thumbpad with console games.  Donno if it's just the layout of the device that I can't get a handle on, or if I just didn't give it enough time.  Certainly would free up alot of fingers to do other commands.
Maj.Do
+85|6775|good old CA
somebodys got the copper head like i do, did ur come with extra feet? and i think the zboard isnt worth it
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6720|Germany

Maj.Do wrote:

somebodys got the copper head like i do, did ur come with extra feet? and i think the zboard isnt worth it
Jup,extra feet are inside the driver cd case.

And to Doberman Dog: The Copperhead has all those nice features too:on-the-fly sensitvity adjustments,macro-support,onboardmemory for your settings and it's the World's fastest mouse.

2000dpi and a 1ms response = no more jumping over pixels while sniping. ;-)

btw:nice keyboard...

Last edited by Mj.Blindfisch (2006-01-28 23:58:43)

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6778
Bah 1ms response time! I want it to react before I do

Seriously though Razer mice rule
Torin
+52|6715
Out of curiosity... from the n52 users, what is so hard about using a regular keyboard for the same stuff?
DobermanDog
+0|6709
Have you not READ the thread?  The bonuses of using the N52 have been pointed out multiple times. 

Here's a few for those who're incapable of browsing an entire thread:

1: ALL commands within one key's reach
2: ability to program complax macros
3: ergonomic comfort for long gaming sessions and carpal tunnel prevention (those of you who've only been using computers for a coupla years may not think much of this, but after 20ish years of poorly designed peripherals I wish I'd paid more attention to it before now.)
4: use thumbpad for WASD

There's nothing particularly HARD about using a regular keyboard to game with.  But, if I can use something that I feel does a BETTER job, why shouldn't I?

Last edited by DobermanDog (2006-02-10 00:27:18)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6719|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
-=RD=- Volx uses the n52 so that it chucks and switches to detanator on c4 in 1 button and then just clicks to explode, look at his c4 stats to see what i mean
doxy
+74|6813|Nevis
everyone, i've seen using it, likes it:

Ronball9 wrote:

Yes, it rocks.

[...]
You can create macros, for the mounted guns, so they won't heat up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard