Ryan
+1,230|6884|Alberta, Canada

Imagine this scenario:

What if NASA sent out a space probe in the future, say 100 years from now, and they had the technology to send that probe millions of lightyears away. It eventually came across a solar system similar to ours, and noticed an inhabited and civilized planet. They take a few pictures, send a few radio signals back, and then maybe 50 years later, a shuttle is launched and it lands on this planet. The astronauts step out only to realize the people/aliens living there are thousands of years behind our time.

What would this do to our theory of aliens being way ahead of our time?
Obviously it would be destroyed, but would NASA or other private space companies even want to continue space exploration?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6807|UK
There is no such theory of aliens being that much ahead of our time. Obviously however anyone who contacts us first and lands on our planet is more than likely to be technologically advance to us.

You think space exploration is about finding some other race so they can give us shit? Ofc its not. Its about discovery. Why would they stop if they found someone less advance, surely that would increase their desire to explore based on a success.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-05-14 17:12:30)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6807|Cambridge (UK)

Ryan wrote:

Obviously it would be destroyed, but would NASA or other private space companies even want to continue space exploration?
What theory "of aliens being way ahead of our time" ?

Why would it "Obviously...  ...be destroyed" ?

What have you been smoking?
DoN_KiNgPiN69
+4|6502|Montreal, Quebec
well considering past history of men...wed prolly kill em and take their land cause it aint like it wasnt done before! Then in no time youd see Mcdonalds popping up here and there
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6566|South Florida

Ryan wrote:

Imagine this scenario:

What if NASA sent out a space probe in the future, say 100 years from now, and they had the technology to send that probe millions of lightyears away. It eventually came across a solar system similar to ours, and noticed an inhabited and civilized planet. They take a few pictures, send a few radio signals back, and then maybe 50 years later, a shuttle is launched and it lands on this planet. The astronauts step out only to realize the people/aliens living there are thousands of years behind our time.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
So your basicaly saying, what if we went to another planet and found lifeforms there similar to what cavemen where on our planet?

If thats so, why do you say they would be destroyed?

I would be very happy if something like that were discovered.

I dont know if i really understand your idea though, when i think of aliens, of coarse what comes to mind is the "Big eyed grey's with amazing technology" but really, alien lifeforms could be mold growing on another planet.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Soldier-Of-Wasteland
Mephistopheles
+40|6697|Land of the Very Cold
Oddly enough I never thought of that. Interesting... They could look like us.

Last edited by Soldier-Of-Wasteland (2007-05-14 17:16:11)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6566|South Florida

DoN_KiNgPiN69 wrote:

well considering past history of men...wed prolly kill em and take their land cause it aint like it wasnt done before! Then in no time youd see Mcdonalds popping up here and there
Ummm.... No.....
It very well could be that aliens came to our planet when we were Cavemen and helped along our evolution in some way, you never know, maybe thats the cycle. Maybe, WE are the advanced aliens, and they have technology that was similar to... 500 years ago? To them it would seem amazing, to us it would seem normal.

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2007-05-14 17:16:38)

15 more years! 15 more years!
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6734
What I think he saying is we receive images from the planet that were thousands of years old, because it takes so long for the light travel across space. Like we have images from billions of years ago from hubble because they are so far way. So we chance it knowing not what the planet is like all these years later, and then find the life has long been gone when we land.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6758|Riva, MD

Ryan wrote:

alien lifeforms could be mold growing on another planet.
That would suck.  How does mold drive a UFO?

Last edited by _j5689_ (2007-05-14 17:21:23)

Ryan
+1,230|6884|Alberta, Canada

Heh, obviously I didn't make sense.

Deserteagle, I meant the theory of aliens being ahead of our time would be destroyed, not the aliens themselves.

Scorpion, supposedly aliens are depicted as being way ahead of us in terms of technology.
All sci-fi movies about aliens show them living with flying cars, UFOs, and massive buildings.

What I mean is that we may land on a far-out planet and find out these aliens are not what we thought they would be, and they are actually behind us in technology terms (ie. invented the computer only 2 years ago, still have black and white TVs, etc.)

Last edited by Ryan (2007-05-14 17:24:12)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6807|Cambridge (UK)

Ryan wrote:

Heh, obviously I didn't make sense.

Deserteagle, I meant the theory of aliens being ahead of our time would be destroyed, not the aliens themselves.

Scorpion, supposedly aliens are depicted as being way ahead of us in terms of technology.
All sci-fi movies about aliens show them living with flying cars, UFOs, and massive buildings.

What I mean is that we may land on a far-out planet and find out these aliens are not what we thought they would be, and they are actually behind us in technology terms (ie. invented the computer only 2 years ago, still have black and white TVs, etc.)
That's just TV and films. No scientist seriously believes that any alien lifeforms have to be more advanced than we are.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6817|UK
I think the films etc depict the aliens being technologically advanced

A) Because if they've explored space and found new life forms (aka Humans) then they're obviously ahead of us in that sense.
B) Because it makes for a more interesting film new technology/pose a greater threat to civilisation so when we kick their ass back home the victory is all the more sweeter!

Seriously though don't read too far into films, would you get your history information from 'The Flintstones'?
Scorpion0x17
+691|6807|Cambridge (UK)

Milk.org wrote:

would you get your history information from 'The Flintstones'?
I understand cavemen had record players that used birds as a stylus...
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6598|Brisbane, Aus

What theory? I think you've been watching too much Sci Fi

But I still think any landing on any inhabitable planet could eventually turn out to be a lame War of the worlds ending, something in the Air would kill us after a few days.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6747
The reason that it is generally assumed that any aliens we encounter will be more advanced than us is that, for how old the rest of the universe is, Earth is extremely young.  The chances of us finding another planet close to the earth in age is very slim.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6570|Global Command

Vilham wrote:

There is no such theory of aliens being that much ahead of our time. .
So fundamentally wrong in so many ways on so many issues...
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6741|MoVal So-Cal
I actually wondered the same thing. What if we are the most advanced civilization in the galaxy?
CC-Marley
+407|6869
What if we are the 1st of many to come?
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6327|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
I believe that in never ending space it would be naive to think we are alone...

But some civilisations will be behind our step on the evolutionary ladder and some will be ahead of it...

However we can't even be sure that we would recognize them as "intelligent life" at first... i doubt aliens will be the "little green men" we seen in Hollywood

EDIT: Spell check is my freind

Last edited by ShawN_ (2007-05-14 23:40:11)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6602

Ryan wrote:

Uh...........what theory that aliens are way ahead of our time?

In popular culture they tend to be far more advanced, and any we make contact with probably would be if only because we lack the capability for interstellar travel, but who has ever said "any alien race would be far more advanced than us"?
snuten_i_sjoholmen
+9|6515|Svea Rike
In 150 years NASA won't be using the space shuttle, not even in 10 years. And do you know how long it takes to get to other stars, to get to the nearest star would take about 4½ years if we went in light-speed.
And if that space probe sent back images from that planet it would take millions or years for the images to get back to earth..
Anyways, it would of course be great news if we did find a planet with life on, even only microbial.

But think about, somewhere in the universe there must be some civilization that is millions of years older and more advanced than we are, but they would probably see us as we see chimpanzees.
PureFodder
+225|6326

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

The reason that it is generally assumed that any aliens we encounter will be more advanced than us is that, for how old the rest of the universe is, Earth is extremely young.  The chances of us finding another planet close to the earth in age is very slim.
This really depends on what this alien life is like. For some life form that works on something near the same systems as us, ie carbon based, requiring metals etc. there is a requirements for a planet orbiting a second generation star, a star that has formed out of the remnants of another star. Only in this circumstance will there be enough of the heavier elements to form life as we know it. We are therefore pretty much at the earliest possible time in which life could have evolved, indicating we will be the most advanced. If we compare how long the universe has been around to how long we expect it to hang around for, we really are right at the beginning.

It is of course possible and frankly likely that alien life will bear no resemblance to ours at all, in which case anything could happen.

As far as actually finding and meeting aliens goes unless someone figures out a way past (or even remotely near to) light speed it is extremely unlikely to happen. If we do find like, chances will be it will be something akin to single celled organisms.

We're unlikely to find any anuses to probe.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6327|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Nasa will use the shuttle in ten years... they have a new model in development.........
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
snuten_i_sjoholmen
+9|6515|Svea Rike

PureFodder wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

This really depends on what this alien life is like. For some life form that works on something near the same systems as us, ie carbon based, requiring metals etc. there is a requirements for a planet orbiting a second generation star, a star that has formed out of the remnants of another star. Only in this circumstance will there be enough of the heavier elements to form life as we know it. We are therefore pretty much at the earliest possible time in which life could have evolved, indicating we will be the most advanced. If we compare how long the universe has been around to how long we expect it to hang around for, we really are right at the beginning.
What?? Living organisms have been living on earth for about 3900 million years, and humans have been around for only about 1 million year. Don't you think there could be a Chance that some intelligent aliens have been living on their planet millions of years earlier than us?? I am pretty certain their is several civilizations out there that are thousands of times smarter and more advanced than us. We are in war with etch other and have millions of people starving. If we are the most intelligent in all of the universe it's crazy.
PureFodder
+225|6326

snuten_i_sjoholmen wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

What?? Living organisms have been living on earth for about 3900 million years, and humans have been around for only about 1 million year. Don't you think there could be a Chance that some intelligent aliens have been living on their planet millions of years earlier than us?? I am pretty certain their is several civilizations out there that are thousands of times smarter and more advanced than us. We are in war with etch other and have millions of people starving. If we are the most intelligent in all of the universe it's crazy.
The fact that life on Earth came so quickly after the formation of the universe is fairly surprising. There really isn't alot of scope for a similar carbon based life form to have evolved much earlier than us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard