bucfan609
+9|6356|Queen Creek, AZ USA
What are the optimal video settings to play with? I got a new laptop with a much better video card, so like a little kid, I cranked up the video settings to see what it would look like. It looked great, but seemed like I was not as accurate. The new box had no issues running at high video settings while also running skype. I also learned why the shadows should be turned off when I started shooting at my shadow 4 or 5 times (just enough to let the enemy know I was there and shoot me)

Thanks in advance for the help.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6575|Area 51
Whaha You shot at your own shadow? Whaha roflcakes I've never ever done or have anyone seen doing that..+1 for that.

Answer to question: dunno what the optimal video settings are
wachtler83
+22|6596|Columbus,Ohio
what are your specs
robthemadman
Always blame it on the ping
+63|6346
Well it's up to you really... if your computer can run all settings on high, with a good FPS (Which I find surprising if you have a laptop), you can run at whatever setting you like.

I've gotta say that I find it much better to run at low settings, a shadows/terrain/whatever other graphic effects there are just seem to be a distraction to me.

BUT make sure your viewing distance is 100%, if you can run it, as this means you can see the maximum distance possible.. very important when sniping.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
High.
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6540

i run everything high except lighting and dynamic stuff.
Makes it MUCH EASIER to see enemies especially on city maps.
bucfan609
NVIDIA Quadro 256 MB video card
100gb hard drive
2GB ram
2 1/2 ghz dual core processor

I don't have the specifics on all aspects of the laptop. It is a work computer (I Love that work is supporting my gaming habit!!!)
gene_pool
Banned
+519|6631|Gold coast, Aus.
Everything low other then
-Your screens native resolution
-geometry on high
-Effects on high
-view distance on 100%

geometry affects how far away you can see static or non static objects (I forget what one)
Effects allows you to see smoke trials from say, a smoking jet or missiles/noob tubes.
View distance is self explanatory.
robthemadman
Always blame it on the ping
+63|6346

gene_pool wrote:

Everything low other then
-Your screens native resolution
-geometry on high
-Effects on high
-view distance on 100%

geometry affects how far away you can see static or non static objects (I forget what one)
Effects allows you to see smoke trials from say, a smoking jet or missiles/noob tubes.
View distance is self explanatory.
Yeah, much better than what I said I've gotta be honest
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

Why do you have a Quadro card?
ScoutStrike
+37|6264
Well if you can run the game with everything on high, then why not do it? BF2 *can* actually look good.

Edit - I never have much trouble seeing enemies with everything on medium, I simply refuse to put lighting on low and play BF2 like CSS on fullbright. It's ugly. Also, fullbright is actually a cheat in that game.

Last edited by ScoutStrike (2007-05-11 11:59:04)

farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6540

ScoutStrike wrote:

Well if you can run the game with everything on high, then why not do it? BF2 *can* actually look good.
at the cost of you seeing anything
Flex
Flex Appeal
+18|6480|NY

ScoutStrike wrote:

Edit - I never have much trouble seeing enemies with everything on medium, I simply refuse to put lighting on low and play BF2 like CSS on fullbright. It's just ugly as hell.
its fun sometimes to play a couple rounds on fully maxed out settings, bf2 does look really great if you have a rig that can handle it.

That being said, I enjoy seeing my enemy before they see me so I keep lighting off/low and shadows off/low...
twz_stryker
+4|6511|San Antonio, TX
Not sure why he has a Quadro, but Dell and HP seems to use them a lot in their business class laptops. Decent card for watching DVDs and Videos. I wouldn't of thought it was geared towards gaming though. Never tried on my D620.

However my alienware sli laptop, yes sli, runs everything maxed out just fine.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

Yeah, Quadros are for graphics design and CAD. GeForces are for gaming... ah well, if it works that's what matters.

The reason some folks don't like going all high is because on maps like Karkand, Mashtuur etc you have an advantage of seeing enemies easily because of the lack of shadows. This can be a deciding factor between two players of equal skill; whoever sees the other better will win.

On other maps though, I frankly prefer high. Hell even on Karkand I like high. I'll take a few extra deaths if it means not playing what looks like a PS1 game.
bucfan609

twz_stryker wrote:

Not sure why he has a Quadro, but Dell and HP seems to use them a lot in their business class laptops. Decent card for watching DVDs and Videos. I wouldn't of thought it was geared towards gaming though. Never tried on my D620.

However my alienware sli laptop, yes sli, runs everything maxed out just fine.
The reason why I have a quadro is because work said "Here you go." And I said, "Thanks."

Thanks for all of the help. I will try the different methods described.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6776|Cambridge (UK)
Just to throw another set of options in the mix, I'd go for:

All on high, except...

Effects on medium/low - has a BIG effect on framerate (and therefor your accuracy).

Lighting and dynamic shadows/lighting - all on low/off.

Resolution and Antialiasing - your choice - tweak to find the best effective resolution vs framerate for you.

OH and the idea that Quadros are crap for gaming is just bollox - in this specific instance, yours is a little low on video ram, but that largely by-the-by - Quadros are optimized for OpenGL more than DirectX, which equates to 'CAD more than games', whereas GeForces are optimized for DirectX more than OpenGL (games more than cad), but they're very fast cards and are just fine for gaming.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-05-11 13:20:01)

bucfan609
Thanks to all for the responses.

If anyone would like to play sometime, let me know. I am very teamwork oriented and love to play together as a squad. It is a rare and beautiful thing to work with a squad in a game. I would rather get less points, lets say playing as a squad leader, hanging back to make sure that the squad can spawn on me if they die and play as a team than stat padding.

Hit me up on XFIRE or SKype if you'd like to play sometime. I am currently clanless and am shopping around if anyone knows of any. I am in Phoenix Arizona, so would prefer a clan in the US.

THanks again.

A clan in the UK would be cool to if it worked out for everyone

Last edited by bucfan609 (2007-05-11 13:24:11)

Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6559|EUtopia | Austria
I would keep lighting on medium but all dynamic effects turned off. Also, the textures should be on medium to low or you won't see snipers on wake lying in the grass. Geometry and effects, however, as mentioned before can be maxed out.
JaggedPanther
+61|6484
I would also keep the resolution to your monitors native resolution
geNius
..!.,
+144|6452|SoCal
https://srejects.com/genius/VideoSettings.jpg
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard