What is it to be "moral"?

Adherence to one's own moral code52%52% - 9
Adherence to an external/specific moral code11%11% - 2
Something else (please elaborate)35%35% - 6
Total: 17
BVC
+325|6695
Subject says it all.

Philosophise, debate, discuss.  As poll creator, I have null voted.

Last edited by Pubic (2007-05-11 08:34:51)

RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6568|Oxford
To know the difference between right and wrong and to live your life accordingly.
Crestfallen
+27|6449|England, Leicester

RicardoBlanco wrote:

To know the difference between right and wrong and to live your life accordingly.
Couldn't that fall into both categories though?  I mean what we usually understand as right and wrong is usually influenced by society around us and the views we hold.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6345|Twyford, UK

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Yes, but what DEFINES right and wrong? Internal or external code? Read the post.

Adherence to your own moral code, I say. Adherence to a set moral code is fundamentalism.
weamo8
+50|6443|USA
You might be able to equate morality to confused of corrupted electrical signals passing through our brains, but in reality they are nothing.  Morals exist as much as my childhood imaginary friend Ralph exists.

"What is it to be 'moral'?" you ask... It is to be diluted and confused.  Morals do not exist in any real sense.
weamo8
+50|6443|USA
For what it is worth, I dont actually believe ^^ because I am a Christian, but I still maintain the argument that there are no real morals in a scientific world.
EVieira
+105|6478|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Morals are always personal. When you adhere to external codes, you are in fact making them your own. If you are following and external codes, but not really believing in them, you are not being moral. You are just trying to fit in...

the difference between right and wrong depends largely on what is perceived right or wrong in the society you live in. Thus, your society shapes the morals you make your own.

But don't confuse ethics with morals, they are totally diferent though. Many people make that mistake.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6632|949

Ethics and morals are related, though they do not mean the same thing.  Morals are governed by both an internal 'good' vs 'evil' as well as society/culture/prevailing philosophy.  A sense of right and wrong in the most basic idea exists hard coded inside of us.  But a good amount of the way we act and what we collectively perceive as 'right' and 'wrong' are shaped by our environment - our society/culture and the prevailing philosophy of the time frame we are in.

This has been discussed before, hasn't it?  I could elaborate...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6581|SE London

It's both.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6527|Portland, OR USA
moral is an entirely relative term is the problem.  It can, will and should vary not only from person to person but within each person within each situation.

Right and wrong are even relative, and often not to anything other than how much we are enjoying something.  Encoded in us perhaps at birth and at least by society at large is an over riding belief that anything that feels good or that we truly want to do has to be bad some how

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard