Maj.Do
+85|6761|good old CA
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/05/10 … _and_r600/

I guess they dont like answering alot of questions.  At least the market is going to get competitive again. enjoy
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Competition is always good.
MECtallica
+73|6513|jalalabad
hopefully AMD pulls a rabbit out of a hat and owns core 2, I seriously like this amd64 4000+ and would hate to see AMD release sub par tech
CommieChipmunk
+488|6579|Portland, OR, USA
and hopefully they stick with AM2
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6579|United States
Core 2 Duo's own. I like AMD though... even if they always seem to trail Intel by just a bit. I'm actually curious to see just how good these new chips are... I can't imagine them being able to funnel that much money into the technology after going so far in debt after the purchase of ATI. They're still on the verge of bankruptcy.
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

Bertster7 wrote:

Agree. It would be ashame if processors were in the same boat as sound cards.
EvilMonkeySlayer
+82|6661
I'd love to see AMD pull something out of their hat too, but I just don't see it coming. It looks as though nvidia has them beat with their 8800 series and Intel are wiping the floor with them. I just hope AMD don't go under, because if that happens we can look forward to Intel dropping the ball again and with AMD out of the picture that ball would never get picked up again.

Got a 4800+ and an X1900XTX here.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6397|New York

jsnipy wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Agree. It would be ashame if processors were in the same boat as sound cards.
Agreed. Even you people who dislike amd should want to keep them in business for the sheer purpose that competition always is best for the consumer. If Intel is the only chip manufacturer then we're, in a word, fucked.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6558|EUtopia | Austria
Let's hope the best.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

I'd love to see AMD pull something out of their hat too, but I just don't see it coming. It looks as though nvidia has them beat with their 8800 series and Intel are wiping the floor with them. I just hope AMD don't go under, because if that happens we can look forward to Intel dropping the ball again and with AMD out of the picture that ball would never get picked up again.

AMD will keep struggling along. Just like they used to with the K5 and K6 CPUs, remember them?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6574|Area 51
Looks sweet!
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head

Bertster7 wrote:

AMD will keep struggling along. Just like they used to with the K5 and K6 CPUs, remember them?
No, and I guess there's a reason
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6584
Wait, if each core is running at 2.9Ghz and they had 8 cores in total for that rig, would that mean the total Ghz is 23.2Ghz ?

Im running at just 1.8Ghz with a single core

Last edited by daffytag (2007-05-11 06:40:39)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Stormscythe wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

No, and I guess there's a reason
There was nothing wrong with the K6. It was good. Then the K7 (Athlon) was way better than anything Intel had.

You must not know your CPUs that well if you don't remember them (either that or I'm just old). Even the AM486 (or whatever they called it) wasn't too bad. Certainly not as bad as the crap Cyrix brought out.

AMD struggled before, they can survive struggling again, probably - even if they do have masses of debt from their purchase of ATI.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-05-11 06:47:49)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

daffytag wrote:

Wait, if each core is running at 2.9Ghz and they had 8 cores in total for that rig, would that mean the total Ghz is 23.2Ghz ?

Im running at just 1.8Ghz with a single core
That's not how it works. It all depends on degrees of parallelism. Serial operations still take just as long.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head

Bertster7 wrote:

You must not know your CPUs that well if you don't remember them (either that or I'm just old).
Personally, I've been really interested in CPUs and the like from Prescott times onwards Before that it was just plug and play (which I regret).
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Stormscythe wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

You must not know your CPUs that well if you don't remember them (either that or I'm just old).
Personally, I've been really interested in CPUs and the like from Prescott times onwards Before that it was just plug and play (which I regret).
That's really recent.

I'm talking PII/PIII era.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

Bertster7 wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Struggling along? 7 months ago, AMD were dominating the CPU market with their new Processors back then. Then core2duo came out and AMD lost the battle, but not the war. They still have a lot of stuff to show the world, and I am sure they will come back on top.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725

Zimmer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Struggling along? 7 months ago, AMD were dominating the CPU market with their new Processors back then. Then core2duo came out and AMD lost the battle, but not the war. They still have a lot of stuff to show the world, and I am sure they will come back on top.
Now it's AMD on top, then Intel, then AMD etc. I wish the CPU market will be as competitive as the GPU market.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Zimmer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

Is it not extremely obvious that I was responding to the point about AMD going under? I was highlighting the fact that even when they weren't on top, or even really significantly competing with Intel, they struggled by and kept on going until they released the K7 which put them on top.

Can you not see that extremely obvious point?

I'm saying I don't think AMD will go under (although the financial burden of their acquisition of ATI may cause them problems). They may pull ahead of Intel, but I'm not convinced they will, their new technologies seem clumsy and poorly conceived.

On top of that, AMD have NEVER dominated the CPU market. Their largest ever market share was less than 25%, while Intel's was over 70% - they may have overshadowed Intel CPUs performance wise (which they have done for many years), but they've never dominated the market.

I don't know where you get your 7 months figure from either. If you are talking from a performance perspective, which you must be considering the comparative market shares, then it has been 10 months since the release of the Conroe based CPUs last July - which outperformed all AMD's offerings.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-05-11 10:08:20)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6639|Washington, DC

AMD's logo is sexier for their stuff, but I must say that substance over style is winning over. C2D>A64 right now. And Intel just has witty lines. Dual Core, do more. Hard core, Quad Core.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

Bertster7 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Is it not extremely obvious that I was responding to the point about AMD going under? I was highlighting the fact that even when they weren't on top, or even really significantly competing with Intel, they struggled by and kept on going until they released the K7 which put them on top.

I'm saying I don't think AMD will go under (although the financial burden of their acquisition of ATI may cause them problems). They may pull ahead of Intel, but I'm not convinced they will, their new technologies seem clumsy and poorly conceived.

On top of that, AMD have NEVER dominated the CPU market. Their largest ever market share was less than 25%, while Intel's was over 70% - they may have overshadowed Intel CPUs performance wise (which they have done for many years), but they've never dominated the market.

I don't know where you get your 7 months figure from either. If you are talking from a performance perspective, which you must be considering the comparative market shares, then it has been 10 months since the release of the Conroe based CPUs last July - which outperformed all AMD's offerings.
Berster, my 7 months was a random guess.
Apologies for my mis-wording, I meant that before AMD was the recommended processor to go for; everyone was saying so. But now that intel released their core2duo, then AMD went downhill. But (whenever the time was), AMD was the must have processor for gaming and a high spec PC.
Now it isn't.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Zimmer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Berster, my 7 months was a random guess.
Apologies for my mis-wording, I meant that before AMD was the recommended processor to go for; everyone was saying so. But now that intel released their core2duo, then AMD went downhill. But (whenever the time was), AMD was the must have processor for gaming and a high spec PC.
Now it isn't.
And whilst they may be ahead again at some point, it is highly unlikely they will ever be more dominant in the marketplace than Intel. For the periods in between AMDs performance dominance, they will be struggling along - they're not the most profitable company at the best of times.

I can't see why you've taken exception to the idea of AMD struggling along, which they are, they've had many profits warnings recently and they're in a lot of debt.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

Quote me where I said they were not struggling along now.
They are, of course, struggling along now, but that may or may not change in the future.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Zimmer wrote:

Quote me where I said they were not struggling along now.
They are, of course, struggling along now, but that may or may not change in the future.
You didn't in so many words.

what you did do was to question my appraisal of the situation in a seemingly negative light, though it was pretty much identical to the situation you have described.

Zimmer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

EvilMonkeySlayer wrote:

What came after the K5 and K6? That's right it was the K7, which ushered in a new era of AMD CPUs outperforming their Intel counterparts.

If AMD do get back on top, then then that is an almost identical situation to the one I was refering to, where they struggled with weaker and then slightly weaker CPUs until they released one that was better - which is exactly the situation you have outlined (except for the fact that AMD had never been on top before at the point).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard