LemonChicken61
+0|6732|Minneapolis, MN USA
Anybody ever use Belkin's Nostromo Speedpad series...specifically the n52?

http://www.twitchguru.com/2004/03/06/game_controller/

I'm just not any good with a regular keyboard.   I've tried using a Playstation - like gamepad for the PC but it does not give me the sensitivity I need.  So I thought I would try this out.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6862
Yes, it rocks.

I started playing with the N50, wanted more buttons for this game and upgraded to the N52.  Works like a charm.  I too suck using the standard AWSD keyboard layouts.  Once you get a configuration you like with the N52 it is just a matter of copying it with the appropriate re-mappings between games/applications.  I also use profiles for browsing the web and various media players, rather than using a mouse and the toolbar too.
LemonChicken61
Thanks for your input Ronball9!

I've been reading alot of reviews on the n52 and seems to get a good rating from gamers overall.

Interested to hear if anybody else out there uses it.

Lemon
GeoEnvi
+22|6701|Philadelphia, PA
I tried using it (n50) a few years ago for MOHAA (a game with far fewer keys used than BF2).  I found it terribly annoying to use due to the lack of available keys.  I think it less suited for action packed multi-player FPS than it is for real-time strategy games.
LemonChicken61

GeoEnvi wrote:

I tried using it (n50) a few years ago for MOHAA (a game with far fewer keys used than BF2).  I found it terribly annoying to use due to the lack of available keys.  I think it less suited for action packed multi-player FPS than it is for real-time strategy games.
GeoEni,

From what I'm reading is that that was one of the gripes about the n50...not enough keys.  It had 10.  The n52 has 14 keys.  Just off the top of my head, that would take care of most of the keys that you would need to access easily on BF2.  The keys does not include the other options available like the directional button etc.

Lemon
-xXCRUWXx-
+0|6707|NEW YORK
i tryed to get mine  to work and had no luck with it  so i could tell you how it is

Last edited by -xXCRUWXx- (2006-01-19 13:07:35)

DMFDxUconn
+8|6781|Kannapolis,North Carolina
I couldnt play without it. I have been using mine for a good year or so, everytime i try to play without it, i cant. With a keyboard i feel like my hands are incredibly huge. My fingers are so cramped and close together, I actually feel my hand making a position that just feels wrong.

As soon as i lay my hand on the N52 its spead out and relaxed. All 14 keys are easily accessable, with the exception of keys 12 and 13. Maybe its just me, but its difficult to press those keys in a clutch moment.

14 keys x 3 = 42 Keys total.
1 for Ground defense
1 for air defense
1 for vehicle defense

The ability to switch between key sets is another plus. Everything about this controller is too eazy. Especially the programming. Click the button you want to program, than press a keyboard button to correspond with the N52 key. Thats it. Or create your own macro. 2EZ!

I love my N52 and couldnt play without it. Aside from the Arrows and N52 logo, ive worn off all the lettering and numbers.

https://www.digitaleloquence.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=174&stc=1

Last edited by DMFDxUconn (2006-01-19 14:58:28)

JimCognito
+10|6695
My buddy convinced me to buy the N50 when it first came out since he loved it.  I couldn't use it worth a damn.  I'm way too used to the wasd format and my pinky rides on that damn left control for crouching.  I also didn't care for the D pad instead of the space bar.  He ended up buying the N52 as well and though its a bit better than the N50 I still didn't like it.

My ex bought me the Zboard (actually just the bf2 attatchment then I had to chuck out $70 for the full board to use it with) for my bday last august and it was too weird and clunky for me also.  I do use the Zboard with the regular keyset though and it works well for me.

Also, semi related, gotta go with the five button optical mouse.  Cant use a trackball to save my life.
DMFDxUconn
The arrows are WSAD by default, and where your pinky rests, same as on the N52. I actually find using those 4 keys you mentioned easier. But hey, to each his own.
JimCognito
+10|6695
Yes, I know the arrows are WASD by default...but left control is further down.  I've used the N52.  What I should have said is the Full Keyboard format, not the WASD format.  The clunky tab key, the clunky shift key, the number keys up top, G....I need 'em all.  Too used to them.  Played with the keyboard too long to feel comfortable with the Nostromo.  My N50 is still collecting dust in the drawer here...who wants it!?!?!
Far
+22|6745|USA

JimCognito wrote:

My N50 is still collecting dust in the drawer here...who wants it!?!?!
Dude I know exactly what you mean but
DO NOT GET RID OF IT.
I picked it up when CoD was new and needed a better way to lean. Nostromo was great for this but when I went back to BF1942 I just didn't like it. Like you said, I was just too used to the keyboard.
After I got tired of CoD I packed up my Nostromo.
Untill BF:SF came out.
Wuh?
Well I was really having a bitch of a time with trying to figure out where to map my NVG and gas masks.
What does that have to do with the Nostromo?
I threw it on the floor and mapped NVG & gas mask to it and use my feet to switch to them
DMFDxUconn
lol

Last edited by DMFDxUconn (2006-01-19 18:51:07)

JimCognito
+10|6695
Hehe, foot pedal Nostromo.

NVG = X for me and gas mask=Mouse wheel click (mouse button 3 I think)

The Nostromo will still be collecting dust in the drawer.
Far
+22|6745|USA
hehe <blush>
DobermanDog
+0|6700
I'm another of those players who's lost without their Nostromo. 

I bought the original N50 when they were first released and played with it a bit before deciding that I really didn't like it.   Threw it in a drawer until I read some comments from a guy who'd said that he got used to it by starting with an entirely new game and only using the Nostromo while playing it.  Jedi Knight II (I think) had just been released, so I decided to use solely the N50 for that.  Within a week of gameplay I was completely comfortable with the N50 and absolutely hooked.  And as others have said, it's useful for much more than just games.  I've got profiles set up for Photoshop, Illustrator and other applications.

My only real complaints with the N50 were the paucity of keys, the useless scroll wheel, and the inability to consistantly hit the diagonal when using the thumbpad as keypresses.  I felt that the "Shift" keys which changed the states needed to be seperate than the 10 main keys.  Was sorta hard to put 1 - 10 to select weapons or whatever on a shift state when you had to use one of those keys to get the shift state.     And the scroll wheel that didn't actually work like one was a complete waste.

The N52 cleared up 2 of those 3 complaints.  The addition of 4 more actual keys is perfect.  The two added thumb buttons are an unexpected bonus.  And the fact that the mouse wheel now works as it should (just wish that Win XP could easily see 2 seperate mice) is great.  Now, if they could find a way to reliably activate the diagonals without hitting one of the 4 main axis' first, it'd be absolutely perfect.

Using the shift states, you can program up to 104 different commands including complex macros.  Far more than enough for any game I've played so far.  One button to completely outfit yourself at the start of a Counter-Strike round?  Awesome.  The real bonus is though, I don't have to move any finger more than one keys width in order to access any of those 104 commands.  My thumb can now easily send 30 different commands. Same can't be said about a keyboard.  Does anyone actually use their thumb for more than just the space bar?  Plus, the Nostromo is much more comfortable for long gaming sessions than using any keyboard I've ever come across.  The N52 even more so than the N50.  Additionally, I've got essentially every game I play mapped the same way.  (ie. forward on the thumb pad is always jump, back is always sprint, down is crouch, key 5 is always reload, etc.)  I don't have to think "Is it 'C' or 'X' that crouches?" and so on.  Of course I could remap my keys in-game, but I find it MUCH easier to just whip up a new Nostromo command file.  Besides that, some games make more sense to have specific keys do certain things on a regular keyboard, so re-mapping them may be problematic.  I've got no such problem with my Nostromo.

So, obviously, I LOVE it.  My Nostromo doesn't make me a better gamer, but it certainly makes gaming easier & more enjoyable for me.   (FWIW, I've tried the coupla other similar products which have been released, and all of them have some glaring probelms which keep them from being any competition for the Nostromo.)
DobermanDog
+0|6700

JimCognito wrote:

Yes, I know the arrows are WASD by default...but left control is further down.  I've used the N52.  What I should have said is the Full Keyboard format, not the WASD format.  The clunky tab key, the clunky shift key, the number keys up top, G....I need 'em all.  Too used to them.  Played with the keyboard too long to feel comfortable with the Nostromo.  My N50 is still collecting dust in the drawer here...who wants it!?!?!
I'd really suggest setting aside some time and truly acclimating yourself to it.  It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you don't give up the rewards are worth it.  Though, I'd also suggest not bothering trying that with an N50.  Not when the N52 is available for <$30.00.  Buy an N52 and stick with it for a week or so. 

That being said, I'll take that N50 off your hands if you really dont want it.    PM me an address and I'll send you a few bucks to cover shipping & handling.  I gave my N50 away but wouldn't mind having a replacement for my other computer.  Don't really need the N52 for that one, since it's used mostly for non-gaming stuff.

D
LemonChicken61
Looks like I'm gettng myself a N52.  Thanks for everyone's input.  I will prepare myself for a slight learning curve but I think it will be a lot better than using my PS2-like gamecontroller and since I've never really used my regular keyboard to play BF2, it shouldn't be too hard to get used to the n52!

Graacias All!!!!!
JimCognito
+10|6695
Actually, last night I decided to cut it up and use the USB to make another connection to convert an xbox controller to usb.  Hehehe. 

https://tinypic.com/m9sn6d.jpg

lessee if I got the tags right.
DMFDxUconn
lol, look at the damn dust on that thing.
Arch-35
+1|6723
I have an N52 and can not play without it. I played America's Army for years with a keyboard and did ok. Then a buddy of mine loaded me his N50 because he could not re-learn it to play anything. I quickly liked it and purchased a 52.

It is an excellent piece of equipment.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6862|San Francisco

I could never use something like that. Since no one seems to use custom keybinds the deviate from the standard WASD format anymore companies like Belkan make game peripherals like the nostromo that tailor only to WASD players. For instance, my strafe keys are bound to Z and B and are used by my pinky and thumb respectively. This is impossible on the nostromo since there are only four keys on the bottom row. I'm not complaining though, I have a very nice keyboard and don't see the point in purchasing another peripheral specific to gaming when my keyboard works just fine and has all the keys I could ever need for binds.
LW_Cobra
+0|6711
I have one and don't like the way it makes my wrist feel - it has a lot to do with my desk though. Instead I bought the Z-Board keyboard and the BF2 keyset ($50 + $20 - $20 rebate) - I love the zboard. I've always used the arrow keys for movement and have always looked for a left handed keyboard to play games with, the zboard is perfect for anyone that doesn't like the default wasd keysets.
Atlas
+0|6694

JimCognito wrote:

I have to agree with you man. I tried the N50 and it was no good. I'm sure the N52 is better and all, but I have been using a keyboard all my life, nothing is more natural at this point than my keyboard and mouse. Also, why take up extra desk space with an N52 when a keyboard does basically the same exact thing?
DobermanDog
+0|6700

Atlas wrote:

I have to agree with you man. I tried the N50 and it was no good. I'm sure the N52 is better and all, but I have been using a keyboard all my life, nothing is more natural at this point than my keyboard and mouse. Also, why take up extra desk space with an N52 when a keyboard does basically the same exact thing?
Because as has been pointed out, for people able to adapt, the Nostromo does it better?  And with less risk of RSI.
Atlas
+0|6694

DobermanDog wrote:

Atlas wrote:

Because as has been pointed out, for people able to adapt, the Nostromo does it better?  And with less risk of RSI.
Prove it... I'm sure you get owned every day by keyboard users. That's what people said about the N50, I bought it, and it was crap. Not enough buttons, and if I needed to type something I had to take my hand completely away from the controls to do so. Just another annoyance. I doubt buying an N52 is going to make anyone better at BF2.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard