I declare hax.
Trel
+70|6683
Hax indeed.
Good to be back.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6395|New York
Hmm, I'm thinking it may have something to do with probability and mathematics as well.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6462|the guy in the hind on gator
simple math
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6496|Gogledd Cymru

its all to do with "decision/Discrete" maths and the order of "arcs/vertices" i think where if a certain number of steps it is impossible to have stayed on that sqaure (e.g. when it was odd you cant have finished on the square you started on)

i think anyway
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6558|Scotland
That was amazing, some of them though... i COULD have been on a square he chose that i wasnt...
loonitic
...is a potty mouth
+286|6541|Valhalla
What the shit? I'm confused
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6395|New York

White-Fusion wrote:

That was amazing, some of them though... i COULD have been on a square he chose that i wasnt...
True, but I really think it goes back to probability and mathematics, with some degree of psychology in there (various pictures and shapes that were on the Post-it's). I noticed a couple of times it was impossible for me to get on a couple of the squares.

Also, did anyone else notice a flash towards the beginning of the video? Subliminal messages? Although, that probably has little to do with anything, as subliminal messages are pretty much ineffective.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6558|Scotland

heggs wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

True, but I really think it goes back to probability and mathematics, with some degree of psychology in there (various pictures and shapes that were on the Post-it's). I noticed a couple of times it was impossible for me to get on a couple of the squares.

Also, did anyone else notice a flash towards the beginning of the video? Subliminal messages? Although, that probably has little to do with anything, as subliminal messages are pretty much ineffective.
No, i didnt look at the pictures. i just went left right left right, all throughout, and it got it!
Apoc-SAS
rebmeM
+39|6394|Scotland
i agree hax. ban him!!
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6449|Stealth City, UK
Same here, do it with two fingers aswel. You'll always end up on that smiley face.
topal63
. . .
+533|6725

loonitic wrote:

What the shit? I'm confused
Its not a trick, it's a simple elimination of possibilities, even odd movement restrictions on a square grid.

Think simple. If given 3 choices only, and I told you that you could move linear from one choice to the next.
You'd have 3 squares: 1, 2 & 3. Starting on 1, if I said move an even number of times say 4 moves. With linear movement you would end up with the only movements possible being 2 3 - then 3 2 and you would be back on square #1, or: 2-3-2-3 ending up on #3, or 2-1-2-1, but never would you end upon #2.

Now make it a 2 by 2 grid (4 choices):
1 2
3 4

Starting on 1, you can move left right up down, but not diagonal. So I say make 4 moves.
You can move from 1 to ---> 2 to 4 to 3 back to 1 (4 moves: you end up on square #1), or 3-4-2-1 (S1), or 2-1-2-1 (S4), or 2-4-2-4 (S4), or 3-4-3-4 (S4), or 3-1-3-1 (S1), or 3-1-2-1(S1). In this case I could easily predict that you could never pick the squares #3 or #2 - based upon 4 moves and linear non-diagonal movement (in this 4-moves case you can either pick 1 or 4, but never 2 or 3).

There is nothing tricky about it. The removal of a square and odd or even choice count restricts which square you can end up on (that together with the linear non-diagonal movement restriction).

Last edited by topal63 (2007-05-09 10:43:01)

ssj3barua
+55|6695|Indianapolis, IN, U.S.
That is fucked up.... very cool indeed.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6625|InGerLand
i love all these maths answers, in theory you could all be right but in fact your all wrong i worked it out (ok the fact i do psychology and have good eyesight helped a little) it is infact done by subliminal messages quite simple ones as well, you don't believe me pause with 1:21 seconds left on the video, for those that cannot be bothered i will post a screenshot...
https://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t593968_youtube.bmp.jpg
tada simple really...
(for those who want to know, i ended up on the wavy lines so up his )
OmniDeath
~
+726|6650

sfarrar33 wrote:

i love all these maths answers, in theory you could all be right but in fact your all wrong i worked it out (ok the fact i do psychology and have good eyesight helped a little) it is infact done by subliminal messages quite simple ones as well, you don't believe me pause with 1:21 seconds left on the video, for those that cannot be bothered i will post a screenshot...
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/t59 … be.bmp.jpg
tada simple really...
lol, yeah i saw it flash so i went back and paused it to see.
Ryan
+1,230|6849|Alberta, Canada

I pwnt him.
He sucks.
topal63
. . .
+533|6725

sfarrar33 wrote:

tada simple really...
Your wrong and if you want me to prove it I will. It is a mathematical impossibility based upon the restrictions imposed during the selection square process that you will land on anything other than the smiley-face square at the end.

If you end up on any other square you did not follow the instructions correctly, you either skipped a move or made more moves than what he said you could make.

1.) Your first move is 1 linear (non-diagonal up-down or side-to-side) move.
2.) Your second move is 7 moves, and it is impossible with 7 moves from either 2 positions above or below the start-square to end up on the house-square.
3.) Then the house-square is removed.

4.) The next restriction is 3 moves for a reason. So that there is no way that you can end up on the V-square (the first 7 moves + 3 + 1:first -- equals 11 moves meaning no matter where you choose you can not end up on the V-square, pause the video at the start and try to get to the V-square in 11 moves, you can't, either you didn't make 11 moves or your a liar if you say you can. It is mathematically impossible).
5.) Then the V-square is removed.

The choice over odd vs even number of moves, creates a binary conclusion of possibility (as to which squares you can end up on).

Do you see the pattern of what is actually happening now (mathematically)?

P.S. The smiley-face screen-shot is a misdirection to make you believe that subliminal influence is possible.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-05-10 07:09:25)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6395|New York

sfarrar33 wrote:

tada simple really...
I suggest you do some research into subliminal messages. On the whole, the are ineffective. Please read topal's response, he hit the nail on the head.
Zodiaccup
+42|6553

heggs wrote:

Topal hits the nail on the head.
Nothing to add.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6625|InGerLand

topal63 wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

<snip>
Your wrong and if you want me to prove it I will. It is a mathematical impossibility based upon the restrictions imposed during the selection square process that you will land on anything other than the smiley-face square at the end.

If you end up on any other square you did not follow the instructions correctly, you either skipped a move or made more moves than what he said you could make.

1.) Your first move is 1 linear (non-diagonal up-down or side-to-side) move.
2.) Your second move is 7 moves, and it is impossible with 7 moves from either 2 positions above or below the start-square to end up on the house-square.
3.) Then the house-square is removed.

4.) The next restriction is 3 moves for a reason. So that there is no way that you can end up on the V-square (the first 7 moves + 3 + 1:first -- equals 11 moves meaning no matter where you choose you can not end up on the V-square, pause the video at the start and try to get to the V-square in 11 moves, you can't, either you didn't make 11 moves or your a liar if you say you can. It is mathematically impossible).
5.) Then the V-square is removed.

The choice over odd vs even number of moves, creates a binary conclusion of possibility (as to which squares you can end up on).

Do you see the pattern of what is actually happening now (mathematically)?

P.S. The smiley-face screen-shot is a misdirection to make you believe that subliminal influence is possible.
wrong!
you could just have gone up left once and then up and down without landing on anything else (as i did)
like i said maths could possibly have helped increase the certainty of the video being correct with it but a simple subliminal influence is all thats really required for such a simple trick.
Once you work out that it's trying to trick you with the face option the maths doesn't count for anything therefore it couldn't possibly just have been based on maths.
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6625|InGerLand

heggs wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

<snip>
I suggest you do some research into subliminal messages. On the whole, the are ineffective. Please read topal's response, he hit the nail on the head.
only because many people don't understand how they work, a simple flash of anything will not make you do anything and it is soon forgotten. but that video isn't more than two minutes long and the message makes a suggestion to your mind, of course you have no reason not to go to that square (its just as good as any other square though maybe slightly bolstered because it is a smiley face) and the ones furthest away from it are being removed a small deciding factor as well. When you think of subliminal messages in terms of advertising your on about making someone buy something specific at an unspecified time in the near future and i'm assuming that you are on about a form of subliminal message similar to that rather than a small short term suggestive message. Furthermore i could easily repeat the same trick with only 4 sqaures or maybe 8 squares or in theory any number i wanted.
...Not to mention one large fact you are all missing out, if topal is right and it is all down to maths...then why did they stick in the message at all...and why are psychologists doing it and not mathmaticians....
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6395|New York

sfarrar33 wrote:

heggs wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

<snip>
only because many people don't understand how they work, a simple flash of anything will not make you do anything and it is soon forgotten. but that video isn't more than two minutes long and the message makes a suggestion to your mind, of course you have no reason not to go to that square (its just as good as any other square though maybe slightly bolstered because it is a smiley face) and the ones furthest away from it are being removed a small deciding factor as well. When you think of subliminal messages in terms of advertising your on about making someone buy something specific at an unspecified time in the near future and i'm assuming that you are on about a form of subliminal message similar to that rather than a small short term suggestive message. Furthermore i could easily repeat the same trick with only 4 sqaures or maybe 8 squares or in theory any number i wanted.
...Not to mention one large fact you are all missing out, if topal is right and it is all down to maths...then why did they stick in the message at all...and why are psychologists doing it and not mathmaticians....
No.

I've gone through the video plenty of times and I can verify a that there are squares that you absolutely cannot reach (ie. the ones that get eliminated) at specific parts of the video. It is impossible, whether you like it or not, to get to those squares.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the makers of the video want you to think it's a subliminal message by adding the flash of that smiley face card?

As I said, do some research, and try what topal suggested.
Shem
sɥǝɯ
+152|6533|London (At Heart)

I beat him first time off

Though I wasnt concentrating and may have missed a movement

Last edited by Shem (2007-05-10 08:53:35)

topal63
. . .
+533|6725

heggs wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

heggs wrote:

No.

I've gone through the video plenty of times and I can verify a that there are squares that you absolutely cannot reach (ie. the ones that get eliminated) at specific parts of the video. It is impossible, whether you like it or not, to get to those squares.

Did you ever stop to think that perhaps the makers of the video want you to think it's a subliminal message by adding the flash of that smiley face card?

It is so ridiculously simple. I can't understand why he can't see that it is a simple math-trick.

If the total number of moves (after three instructions; in the video) was an even count, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc... it would be possible to end up on the V-square. But when it is an odd number of moves (after three instructions; in the video = 11 moves, an odd number) it is impossible.

If the total number was any odd number of moves: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15... ad infinitum it would not be possible to end up on the V-square.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-05-10 09:10:16)

sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6625|InGerLand

topal63 wrote:

heggs wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

No.

It is so ridiculously simple. I can't understand why he can't see that it is a simple math-trick.

If the total number of moves (after three instructions; in the video) was an even count, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc... it would be possible to end up on the V-square. But when it is an odd number of moves (after three instructions; in the video = 11 moves, an odd number) it is impossible.

If the total number was any odd number of moves: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15... ad infinitum it would not be possible to end up on the V-square.
I don't deny the maths and i accept that some was used so that you cannot get to the V the house or the arrows, but theres nothing mathmatical forcing you onto the smiley face and the maths used... it just isn't really needed at all it looks like the psychologists used it to increase the chances of them being proved right and you going 'wow'.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard