Back To The Future
Saving Private Ryan
-Leeds-Lad-
+15|6204|Leeds, WestYorkshire
true romance ...reet film
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire
I watched 'Cube' last night. Very good sci-fi film from about ten years ago.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0123755/
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire
Here's a few more good ones I've watched again lately...

1. The Brave - Johnny Depp
2. Violent Cop - Takeshi (Beat) Kitano
3. Session 9 - Brad Anderson
4. Sling Blade - Billy Bob Thornton
5. How To Get A Head In Advertising - Bruce Robinson

Last edited by Braddock (2007-07-11 04:54:23)

jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
The jacket.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

jord wrote:

The jacket.
There was a case in the Irish news this week where a patient was being put into storage in the hospital morgue when they realised the patient was still alive! ...Anyone who's seen the Jacket knows what I'm on about.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6325
" The Searchers " is so old you may not know of it.
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6758|Barrie Ontario
Feast

Equalibrium

Unknown
okashii
+34|6499|I'm form Poland and I hate it
I recommend "Forbidden Zone" - a weird but awesome, black and white musical from 1980 <its on youtube.com>

Also it you like Japanese animation - Ghost in the shell - it's a must see <note: I mean Ghost in the shell from 1995 by Mamoru Oshii, not the Stand Alone Complex crap>
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

okashii wrote:

I recommend "Forbidden Zone" - a weird but awesome, black and white musical from 1980 <its on youtube.com>

Also it you like Japanese animation - Ghost in the shell - it's a must see <note: I mean Ghost in the shell from 1995 by Mamoru Oshii, not the Stand Alone Complex crap>
The Polish film 'A Short Film About Killing' by Kieslowski is quite good. I also like Andrej Zulawski's 'Possession' (totally bizarre!), is it well known in Poland?
okashii
+34|6499|I'm form Poland and I hate it
To be honest I really don't know, I haven't seen any of them cuz I don't like anything that is polish and poland itself...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6737|Cambridge (UK)

Braddock wrote:

okashii wrote:

The Polish film 'A Short Film About Killing' by Kieslowski is quite good. I also like Andrej Zulawski's 'Possession' (totally bizarre!), is it well known in Poland?
That's reminded me of one:

Man Bites Dog (English Title).

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-05-05 06:45:34)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

okashii wrote:

To be honest I really don't know, I haven't seen any of them cuz I don't like anything that is polish and poland itself...
Poland has a reputation of being a prestigious cinematic power. David Lynch loves Poland and I think he opened a film school there recently (half of his last film was set in Poland). Never been to Poland but all my mates are going out with Polish girls.
bigdroo
+7|6398|Yooahss-ayy!
Chasing Amy
Snatch
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Here's a recent one:
Reign Over Me

That one rips your heart out.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

bigdroo wrote:

Chasing Amy
Snatch
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Here's a recent one:
Reign Over Me

That one rips your heart out.
Never heard of Reign Over Me, must check it out. What country is it from? Seen the others, all good'uns.
mKmalfunction
Infamous meleeKings cult. Est. 2003 B.C.
+82|6510|The Lost Highway

pirana6 wrote:

Here's more (although they aren't that unheard of)

1. The Station Agent (2003)
2. Falling Down (1993)
3. 25th Hour (2002)

Actually you may have heard of the last 2.
+1 for the idea though.
Station Agent is good. Best part is when the midget gets drunk in the bar.
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6711
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Near Dark
Glen Garry Glen Ross
Fargo
Sexy Beast

Also Don't miss 'This Is England', best film I have seen this year
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

paranoid101 wrote:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Near Dark
Glen Garry Glen Ross
Fargo
Sexy Beast

Is Near dark good? I have it in the house but haven't found time to watch it yet, I read a few reviews before that said it was good, isn't Bill Paxton in it?
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6711

Braddock wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Near Dark
Glen Garry Glen Ross
Fargo
Sexy Beast

Is Near dark good? I have it in the house but haven't found time to watch it yet, I read a few reviews before that said it was good, isn't Bill Paxton in it?
Yep its really good and it does have Bill Paxon in as well as some of the other guys out of Aliens like Lance Henriksen and Jenette Goldstein, its was Directed by Kathryn Bigelow who I think at the time was going out with Jim Cameron and she also Directed Point Break.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6261|Éire

paranoid101 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
Near Dark
Glen Garry Glen Ross
Fargo
Sexy Beast

Yep its really good and it does have Bill Paxon in as well as some of the other guys out of Aliens like Lance Henriksen and Jenette Goldstein, its was Directed by Kathryn Bigelow who I think at the time was going out with Jim Cameron and she also Directed Point Break.
Lance Henriksen rules! I noticed that Kathryn Bigelow had directed it, she did 'Strange Days' with Tom Sizemore and Ralph Fiennes too, not a great film but not bad going for a chick!
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6587|UCF
Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to Stop Worring and Love the Atomic Bomb

Most people know of the film from the parodies, but don't know the name. It involves 12 women for every man and screaming "whoo hoo" while riding a bomb.
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6763

jsnipy wrote:

* Brazil
* Salo: 120 of Sodom
* Betty Bleu
* Woman in the Dunes
* Eraserhead
* Romper Stomper
Oh dear.  Salo.  Definitely not a film I would recommend anyone to watch.  I'd rank it down as even worse than Caligula.

Films I would recommend that you might not have heard of:

Levity (2003)
Leon (1994) a.k.a. "The Cleaner" or "The Professional"
Subway (1985)
The Day of the Jackal (1973)
Sheky
+6|6509|London, England.
How can I wright them down, if I've never heard of them !? 
Dersmikner
+147|6469|Texas
There are some great choices in this thread. The great movies I've seen are already listed, so it's tough to add much that's earth-shattering.

I'm going to recommend a few more, but to let you know my style, I'm a fan of the mystery/drama type of flick like Memento, Following, The Usual Suspects, The Jacket, Lucky Number Slevin, The Ninth Gate, et al. I am also a big fan of Bottle Rocket and Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums type comedies.

By the way I can't believe nobody mentioned Lucky Number Slevin. I thought that was underrated.

One that I haven't seen listed here that is worth the time it takes to watch is the Matt Dillon (whom I previously disliked) comedy/mystery from 2004 called Employee of the Month. It's a little campy at times, and after watching it but before the credits I thought "ah, that was okay," but then at the very end of the credits a little something was thrown in that harkens back to the beginning that makes the whole thing worthwhile. Tied the whole thing together. Not a classic, but certainly worth watching. It's a "grab popcorn and 4 beers" movie that you'll dig. DO NOT stop watching until after the  credits are completely finished or you've wasted your time.

Somewhat coincidentally Matt Dillon is in one of my favorites called Rumblefish. Gotta see that if you haven't. Black and white flick with Mickey Rourke. Classic. There's nothing mysterious about it, nothing overly intense, and you can't even say that it rivets you to your seat, but when it's over you will look at things differently, and that's something for a movie.

I also just saw a movie called Unknown (2006) and though it was no cinematic classic, it was certainly entertaining, and at the end I thought I had it figured out (and I did) and then they threw in a little twist that got me and that's always fun.

I've seen a few titles in this thread that I've yet to watch, and I'm going to buy them on the web today. Thanks gents.

Last edited by Dersmikner (2007-06-10 20:17:26)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard