Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6858
What is up Bf2s Tech dwellers...

This is my problem.  I am looking for a good water cooling system...  I don't want to spend so much i can't afford another PC game for the rest of my life so the max is like... $450USD.  Do you know of any Integrated cooling systems, or External Systems, in which i can purchase and trust?  Also, What is a good water cooling case that I should purchase if I do not buy a Integrated cooling system?  Here is some of the information that might be useful

Components
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo e6600
Video Card - EVGA 7960GT
Case - Ugh.. i don't even know.

So far what I have looked at is www.koolance.com and their integrated cooling systems... but I did not like their designs on the cases...
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6588|USA
too picky dude.
Computer_Guy
+54|6714
Gravity, Its too risky and plus oc'ing your computer wont beat mine.
Kneegra
Don't rock no blings but my baseball cap
+21|6445|IN
swiftech makes some nice stuff

computer_guy is right, it is very risky.

Last edited by Kneegra (2007-05-07 21:32:05)

The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6659|Deep In The South Of Texas
Don't buy a kit, DIY:

http://www.dangerden.com/store/
claor
+39|6432|Australia
stick with fans
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6362|Cali
I hate computers.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6858
I don't see what the problem is with water cooling.  If you know how to set it up right, how can there be leaks? you check all of the tubing, and connections before you put it into the computer.  I don't see how it gets such a bad rep from all these people putting stuff into their computer they have no knowledge about, and then when it breaks/leaks they blame it on the products, when it was human error.  Some people are just stupid.  Thats what I think.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6344|Australia
If you want to get WC to increase your performance through O/Cing, I suggest that you spend your money on something like a new graphics card. Buying a 640MB 8800 with that $450 will give you results that flatten the ones produced by a CPU clocked up a few hundred Mhz.
Also, a decent air cooler will give results on par with watercooling (except for the most extreme ones, like that vapour phase change stuff). One of my friends had a thermalright ultra 120, and he has his E6600 clocked up to 3.2Ghz stable. It costs about $90, and another 20-30 for a decent fan (that price is in $AU, so I would expect it to be something like $60-70USD).

But if you don't care, and want WC 'cos it's cool, then I can't recommedend what is the best. Though I have heard that the thermaltake ones are pretty bad, as far as cooling goes.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6858

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

If you want to get WC to increase your performance through O/Cing, I suggest that you spend your money on something like a new graphics card. Buying a 640MB 8800 with that $450 will give you results that flatten the ones produced by a CPU clocked up a few hundred Mhz.
Also, a decent air cooler will give results on par with watercooling (except for the most extreme ones, like that vapour phase change stuff). One of my friends had a thermalright ultra 120, and he has his E6600 clocked up to 3.2Ghz stable. It costs about $90, and another 20-30 for a decent fan (that price is in $AU, so I would expect it to be something like $60-70USD).

But if you don't care, and want WC 'cos it's cool, then I can't recommended what is the best. Though I have heard that the thermaltake ones are pretty bad, as far as cooling goes.
I'm not in it for overclock par say... i was just saying that to computer_guy in vent to make him all worked up, I'm REALLY looking for to the whole thingy about... silence!
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6431|Finland

lol, think twice before getting wc. you can buy a 8800GTS for that money but if you want it (cuz it looks cool thats for sure), I have heard that zalman kits are low on performance cuz of weak pump and no fans. if you want good WC I suggest getting swiftechs stuff. they are very good and DIY is the way to go.
good aircooling is a lot easier, somewhat safer, almost as quiet and cheap compared to wc.
lets make a list what watercooling is:

+very good cooling performance on DIY
+looks uber cool
+e-penis will definately get longer

-expensive
-more difficult to change components + coolant changing
- E X P E N S I V E
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6753|Salt Lake City

As some one who had water cooled for several years, but is now on air, let me offer you some insight.

Pros:  Water cooling is efficient.  There is no air cooling solution that can compete with a properly configured H2o setup.  For the amount of cooling, properly configured H2o solutions provide far more with less noise.

Cons: They require service.  Every so often you will have to add coolant, and every so often you will need to drain and clean the system.  How difficult it is to add coolant will depend on your setup.  Draining and cleaning is going to take some work, no matter what.  H2o also makes working in your case, and adding/removing components more difficult.  Leaks are always a possibility.

Stay away from stuff like Koolance, they are complete garbage.  Also remember that you need to plan for cooling surrounding components.  Motherboards are designed such that air coming from the HSF also cools surrounding components.  With H2o you remove that source of cooling, and could create heat issues elsewhere.  For example, my Asus P5W DH Deluxe comes with a small fan unit designed to sit on the HS mounted atop the power MOSFETs, to cool that when H2o is used, and the noraml air flow from the HSF is gone.
~{TPP}~richoxon
I Want a New Duck
+43|6585|Up a tree
i love my water!

but Agent is right,  it does require  work to keep it all running nice. Radiators need cleaning fairly often, and a complete service every 9 months or so!

Also , you need to look in to what you want to cool and make sure  you can fit the rads in to your case.

i

Last edited by ~{TPP}~richoxon (2007-05-08 10:07:28)

Computer_Guy
+54|6714

Gravity wrote:

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

But if you don't care, and want WC 'cos it's cool, then I can't recommended what is the best. Though I have heard that the thermaltake ones are pretty bad, as far as cooling goes.
I'm not in it for overclock par say... i was just saying that to computer_guy in vent to make him all worked up, I'm REALLY looking for to the whole thingy about... silence!
I see how it is. Ill see you in ventrilo.
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6739|Oregon
water cooling = 100% pimp factor (for 2 months). and nothing else. after the 2 months, some line will break and ruin your entire computer (friend of mine had his lines break at the [TUF] lan last memorial day...had to use a P4 system for the rest of the lan)...better off getting a good air system (P-series cases are nice, so are the 900's). air is the way to go as far as im concerned. h2o cooling sucks.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

I've always liked the look of the Zalman Reserator kit with the fanless radiator thingy. Looks quite nice.

I can't really see the point in water cooling these days though. The benefits over air cooling seem minimal for the expense and the maintenance sounds like a pain in the ass.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6858

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

water cooling = 100% pimp factor (for 2 months). and nothing else. after the 2 months, some line will break and ruin your entire computer (friend of mine had his lines break at the [TUF] lan last memorial day...had to use a P4 system for the rest of the lan)...better off getting a good air system (P-series cases are nice, so are the 900's). air is the way to go as far as im concerned. h2o cooling sucks.
What was his water cooling system? and how long ago was it?
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6739|Oregon
he spent about $500 on a zalman system. good quality everything....failed.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6858

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

he spent about $500 on a zalman system. good quality everything....failed.
Did he test everything before hand? or did he just throw it in, and turned on his computer?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6431|Finland

heh. moving a watercooled pc is risky. always have to check for leaks after moving it.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6667
Dude, look at all these negative comments you're getting about water cooling, don't do it, it sounds risky and pointless.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6858

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Dude, look at all these negative comments you're getting about water cooling, don't do it, it sounds risky and pointless.
Some people might say it is pointless, but i've been on other forums as well reading, and I dont see as much negative reviews...  im sure some of these people haven't had water cooling and their going by what they hear.  I'm not going to base my decision off of what peoples "opinions".  Like i said before, some people think they know somthing they dont.  and when it messes up they blame it on the hardware when its possible it was human error. such as transporting a computer with a water cooling system and breaking a connection.  Or putting a connection on wrong.

Last edited by Gravity (2007-05-08 23:48:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard