redhawk454
+50|6558|Divided States of America
This is so simple the courts of Australia decided to send him to the US. period.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Because he committed a crime that I've committed, but he did it on a much larger scale.

I can sympathize with piraters -- especially people who pirate Windows.  You don't have much of a choice but to upgrade whenever something new comes out, and with the amount that they charge for each new installment, I can't blame someone for finding a way around the charge.

It's not like Microsoft has much competition when Bill Gates owns a large share of Apple.
Buy Apple products then.

Don't justify someone stealing millions of dollars.
Here's a counterargument...

Why would such a high demand for pirated products exist in the first place?  Could it be that the prices set for the products tend to be higher than is reasonably justified or marketed?

Groups like the RIAA and the MPAA make a big deal out of piracy, but if the average CD wasn't $20 and the average ticket $10, then more people would buy material than pirate it.

Some people are going to download music, software, and movies regardless of the prices set, but streaming services and Netflix prove that people are still willing to buy things like entertainment even if they have the tools necessary for pirating (high speed internet and a decent computer).  These industries succeed because of their affordability.

High prices don't justify pirating, but they do provide a rationale for the act itself.
I like Skoal.  I pay about 5 bucks a can for it.  Do I think it is too much?  Yes.  Should I knock off a Circle K for it?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
Do you think that I need to use violence to "steal" a CD?

To compare piracy to robbing a convenience store is problematic on multiple levels.  I'm not threatening anyone's life by using IRC.  In fact, thanks to an obscure law passed in the 90s, it's completely legal.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

Turquoise wrote:

Do you think that I need to use violence to "steal" a CD?

To compare piracy to robbing a convenience store is problematic on multiple levels.  I'm not threatening anyone's life by using IRC.  In fact, thanks to an obscure law passed in the 90s, it's completely legal.
Good point. 

So it is ok for me to hack an on line tobacco site for my Skoal then?
Turquoise
O Canada
I see where you're going with this.

I'll concede to the point that, while I don't really care about the piracy issue, I do believe identity theft is a serious crime.  I know that's somewhat off-topic, but I saw a parallel between that and "hacking."
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6716
I think that most of you are missing the point entirely.  The point is that he was IMPORTED FROM HIS OWN COUNTRY WITHOUT A TRIAL.  Let us assume that I am just an innocent citizen of the US  who has never commited any kind of crime.  One day, I am arrested and sent to another country with differnt laws and a different judicial system without even being convicted of a crime.  This is disturbing, because, Where does it end?
It may not seem like a big deal, but next thing you know, you are being imported to Bosnia because they don't like you(Mabe you have found one of implanted spies in the US or somthing ) using falsified evidence, and you get a life sentence in a Bosnian prison.  And this whole time you have never even set foot in Bosnia!  I know that was a major exaggeration for several different reasons, but that was the point I was trying to make.

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2007-05-06 20:53:51)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

Hey Dead.  The internet has no borders.
Turquoise
O Canada

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

I think that most of you are missing the point entirely.  The point is that he was IMPORTED FROM HIS OWN COUNTRY WITHOUT A TRIAL.  Let us assume that I am just an innocent citizen of the US  who has never commited any kind of crime.  One day, I am arrested and sent to another country with differnt laws and a different judicial system without even being convicted of a crime.  This is disturbing, because, Where does it end?
It may not seem like a big deal, but next thing you know, you are being imported to Bosnia because they don't like you(Mabe you have found one of implanted spies in the US or somthing ) using falsified evidence, and you get a life sentence in a Bosnian prison.  And this whole time you have never even set foot in Bosnia!  I know that was a major exaggeration for several different reasons, but that was the point I was trying to make.
True...  that is a very valid possibility, and to be quite frank, we've done similar things to people we thought were terrorist suspects.  We've used Uzbekistan extensively as an "interrogation center" after apprehending people abroad we believed had broken some sort of law or another.

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised at how this turned out.

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-05-06 20:57:14)

BVC
+325|6706

redhawk454 wrote:

This is so simple the courts of Australia decided to send him to the US. period.
His offenses took place outside of US jurisdiction...

If US laws can be enforced on Australians who've never been to the US, then the prospect of a new Australian flag just got a little bit closer:
https://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n193/Warlord_Malice/misc/New-Aussie-flag-2-1.png

Last edited by Pubic (2007-05-06 23:07:53)

Deadmonkiefart
+177|6716
Your flag has 57 stars.  Australia is made up of 6 states, and America is made up of 50 states.  Since when does 6+50=57?

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2007-05-06 22:57:03)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6530|Adelaide, South Australia

usmarine2005 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Why are we defending a criminal?  Who gives a fuck where he is?  Fuck em.
Because he committed a crime that I've committed, but he did it on a much larger scale.

I can sympathize with piraters -- especially people who pirate Windows.  You don't have much of a choice but to upgrade whenever something new comes out, and with the amount that they charge for each new installment, I can't blame someone for finding a way around the charge.

It's not like Microsoft has much competition when Bill Gates owns a large share of Apple.
Buy Apple products then.

Don't justify someone stealing millions of dollars.
It's not so much stealing from the company as denying them the funds. He got nothing out of doing what he did.

Either way, he broke the law in Australia, so he should be tried and jailed in Australia. I don't see why he was extradited .
frankyman_88
I <3 J.C.
+29|6566|QLD, australia
fuck america, he didnt even steal their MONEY, he just made it so that other people wounldn't have to pay...
BVC
+325|6706

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Your flag has 57 stars.  Australia is made up of 6 states, and America is nade up of 50 states.  Since when does 6+50=57?
Because I thought there were 7
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6716

Pubic wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Your flag has 57 stars.  Australia is made up of 6 states, and America is nade up of 50 states.  Since when does 6+50=57?
And they say that Americans are bad at Geography. *shakes head*
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Pubic wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

There is seven....

[*]1. South Australia
[*]2. Western Australia
[*]3. Tasmania
[*]4. Northern Territory
[*]5. Queensland
[*]6. New South Wales
[*]7. Australian Capital Territory
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6716

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Pubic wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

There is seven....

[*]1. South Australia
[*]2. Western Australia
[*]3. Tasmania
[*]4. Northern Territory
[*]5. Queensland
[*]6. New South Wales
No. There are 6 states and 2 territories.  The states are New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia.  The territories are  Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory.

-The Floccinaucinihilipilificator strikes again!

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2007-05-06 23:06:00)

kilgoretrout
+53|6480|Little Rock, AR
Did everyone miss the fact that he broke INTERNATIONAL copyright agreements?  He was tried in the US, but the laws he broke were international agreements.  Now, I fully believe he should've been sent to Australia to serve his sentance so he could get visits from his family and such, but he wasn't extradited because he broke American law.  He broke international law.
BVC
+325|6706

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

No. There are 6 states and 2 territories.  The states are New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia.  The territories are  Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory.

Changed to reflect 6 states.

Come to think of it, leaving the extra one in would account for the part of aussie law which says we can join at any time...maybe I should make the 57th an outline instead? A black star perhaps?

Last edited by Pubic (2007-05-06 23:09:51)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

Pubic wrote:

There is seven....

[*]1. South Australia
[*]2. Western Australia
[*]3. Tasmania
[*]4. Northern Territory
[*]5. Queensland
[*]6. New South Wales

Wow. I forgot Vic.

The water thieving bastards...
pj666
+16|6376|Sydney, Australia
The laws in Australia cover the area. They provide for punishment for this crime.  The courts here are competent to prosecute it.

The courts didn't send him, the a$$ kissing government sent him. Yeah Chris Ellison. Worst Attorney general ever.  Our troops and country supporting the US world wide for generations gets us diddly squat respect in down town DC.

As someone said, why didn't the US companies use Australian courts? Probably because they wanted to make an example of him. Easier for the US court to crack down on some evil foreigner than good ole Johnny Reb with his constitutional rights and perhaps some sympathy.

The fact is - unfair. The guy's rights got stuffed for political expediency and to keep the US happy. Keep in mind the guy was also held on remand for years while this got argued out - he wasn't on bail. For software piracy. Rapists and murderers get off easier.

I look forward to the next time the US whinges about Belgium or some other contry trying to extradite Henry Kissinger or some other sap for war crimes etc, for alleged breaches of just as international laws that the US pays just as mucg lip service to.

If you only apply laws and principles when it suits you, it makes you a hypocrite. Especially when you hold yourself up as a bastion of freedom, democracy, etc, etc.

I look forward to the extradition request to China for the millions of Chinese software pirates committing breaches of that treaty daily .... how big a prison do you need?
HeimdalX
+37|6661

Turquoise wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

Its about time this serious problem was dealt with, stealing is not kool not to mention un-american, much like hugo chavez stealing american companys.
LOL...  Unamerican?...  Oh c'mon...  Who in this forum has NEVER pirated something?

It's like how pot is illegal here.  Almost everyone I know has smoked at LEAST one joint in their life.
I haven't smoked a joint in my entire life

I have smoked some fat ass blunts though
Deadmonkiefart
+177|6716
Neither I, nor  my 7 best friends ever smoked a "joint".
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6675|NT, like Mick Dundee

Pubic wrote:

Turquoise, I believe Australia-US free trade negotiations may have something to do with it.

My point is, the offences occurred on Australian soil and were covered by Australian laws with penalties which I imagine are similar to those in the US.  US law has nothing to do with it.  The affected US companies could have pursued the matter locally (as many have done in the past), and a request shouldn't have even been made let alone accepted.

When Americans drive to work they're violating Australian law; they're driving on the other side of the road.  But they won't be deported to face charges in Australian courts because Australian law does not apply in the US and vice versa.
Quoted for truth and effect...

What... the... fuck... WHY did the American companies go after this guy when sites like that "AllofMP3" still exist...

Reality check please.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
dubbs
+105|6642|Lexington, KY
I think the article maybe leaving some information out.  For example, were some of the servers he using in the US?  If so then those servers are subject to US laws.  That would mean that if there were pirated material on those severs, then he did break American laws. 

I could read deep into the story and say that the person that wrote it maybe trying to bash America, or the RIAA, or the US entertainment/software companies in general. 

There are not enough facts here to say it is was correct or if it was incorrect to have him departed.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6572

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Your flag has 57 stars.  Australia is made up of 6 states, and America is made up of 50 states.  Since when does 6+50=57?
He's from New Zealand, they don't do maths.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard