PeteRoy
+-1|6775|Earth
If you are a commander in a map with planes, it will be best to put the UAV where most enemies are so the planes know where to bomb.

Remember that planes are like artillery and too many times I was flying a jet with a commander put UAV on a friendly flag with 1 enemy around.

So remember to SCAN before you put UAV and then UAV where most enemies are.

Thank you.

Last edited by PeteRoy (2006-01-20 02:23:19)

Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6788|Mark it zero.
i usually do that, but if i want a jet to bomb somewhere i hope they are a squad leader and if they are i will just put up an arrow and let them know that every time i tell them to attack an area i mean to bomb the hell out of it, not try to cap it.
Boufo
+0|6719

Kamikaze17 wrote:

i usually do that, but if i want a jet to bomb somewhere i hope they are a squad leader and if they are i will just put up an arrow and let them know that every time i tell them to attack an area i mean to bomb the hell out of it, not try to cap it.
you sir are a commander that "get's it". why waste the uav for the air assets? the uav is far more useful for the boys on the ground.

whenever i fly i always make myself SL and ask the commander to give me locations to attack. without it all i see are the vehicles and miss out on the opportunity to take out infantry.

one extra point though. once you tell me where to attack take a second and spot a few of the infantry so i have a more precise location to bomb.

- i be boufo
megaboost
+14|6723|Englandshire
*sucks eggs*
ResDog1
+51|6805|Netherlands

megaboost wrote:

*sucks eggs*
Oh you know the happy happy joy joy song too.... :-)
GeoEnvi
+22|6727|Philadelphia, PA
While we're on the topic, here's a few more PRETTY PLEASES for the neophyte commanders:

1) Always zoom in while placing arty or supplies.  Careful arty placement is an art, plus you get more enemy kills per strike and less friendly fire.  What good is a supply crate if you can't use it (caught on a roof) or the enemy destroys it (in plain sight) or the nearby enemies are alerted to your presence (when your behind lines and the supply drop is spotted by the four dudes fighting over the tank)?  This is especially useful for helping armor form a blockade.  Hide the supply drop behind a wall or barricade so the enemy can't take it out and weaken your armor blockade.

2) DO NOT spot EVERY damn blip that appears on your map during the SCAN.  Spot aircraft and only those that are making their way to distant flags or trying to defend a flag your squad is trying to cap.  A commander that "spot spams" continuously is often ignored (even more so that a reticent commander)!

3) Kindly ask squad leaders to accept your mission, if even they don't agree with it.  Even if they wan't to go it alone, their squad members might continue onto the waypoint objective.

4) Get a microphone and use VOIP.  There's a limited number of commands (and rebukes!) available as menu choices.  Nothing beats a real live person telling you where to go or why you're being a smacktard for not following orders.  Plus, it alerts the other Squad Leaders when an objective isn't being met.  If they're interested in winning, they'll try to pick up the slack.

5) Identify the "must have" control points on every map and get your squads to cap them first.  PRIORITY ONE: Look for flags that spawn enemy armor or aircraft -  eliminate these to gain the upperhand.  Conversely, fight to retain/regain those flags that spawn the same armaments for YOUR team.

6) Some flags are meant to be change hands (A LOT)!  Make these flags the last objectives.  These are typically the closest to an enemy no-cap, and out of the way flags that a single infantry can cap becuase the rest of the game "forgot" about it.  They may also be the infantry death traps that lead to ticket hemmoraghing (see also: Karkand Hotel and Market, FuShe Mine Entrance, Dragon Valley Hill, Shonghua Central Island, etc).

7) While playing "conquest" type maps where one team has a non-cap and must eliminate the opposing flags, use your noodle.  Start at the farthest point away from your non-cap and work towards your spawn.  Hit the "island" first at Karkand.  Go for the TV station on Sharqi.  Flank 'em first, box 'em in, and flush 'em out!

8) When the rest of your team is on the other side of the map attacking the "last" flag, use the SCAN early and often to avoid a "runner" making his way to a flag.  If you see a lone infantry attacking a flag behind the main battle front, honor those last requests for arty/supplies/UAV, put away your laptop, get in a car, and take 'em out.

Last edited by GeoEnvi (2006-01-20 11:05:45)

MarkyMark
+5|6713|UK
"4) Get a microphone and use VOIP.  There's a limited number of commands (and rebukes!) available as menu choices.  Nothing beats a real live person telling you where to go or why you're being a smacktard for not following orders.  Plus, it alerts the other Squad Leaders when an objective isn't being met.  If they're interested in winning, they'll try to pick up the slack."

This is a definite, theres nothing like telling some punk ass squad leader hes being  a smacktard!
EsP-Grandpa
+0|6742

PeteRoy wrote:

If you are a commander in a map with planes, it will be best to put the UAV where most enemies are so the planes know where to bomb.

Remember that planes are like artillery and too many times I was flying a jet with a commander put UAV on a friendly flag with 1 enemy around.

So remember to SCAN before you put UAV and then UAV where most enemies are.

Thank you.
Wow,

Not spent much time playing commander have you?

The purpose of the commander is to help the TEAM WIN THE GAME.  It is not the purpose of the commander to give you kills on a silver platter.

A UAV on a friendly flag with one enemy around it.  BOMB THE FLAG AND KEEP THE OTHER TEAM FROM CAPPING THE FLAG.  That is what the commander wants.  That is what is best for the TEAM.
EsP-Grandpa
+0|6742

Kamikaze17 wrote:

I have over 100 hours as commander and have never hear/though of this. 

In fact, I have always thought that a pilot as a squad leader was dumb because no one could spawn on him.

I guess I have had a "ground" mentality.

Thanks for the comment.  I will start using that immediately!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard