GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ
I need to get some software installed somewhere other than my Program Files, my computers at school are calling me on bullshit trying to install anything, so far I got google earth and someone I think got FireFox some how lol. Its Windows 2000 (yes, windows fucking 2k)

Can i designate auto-installers to a My Documents folder and have it work?

Thanks,

GodFather
Jameseyy
Banned
+108|6244|Scotland!
First I'd go mental that your school's computers are on windows 2000.

Get an external hard drive and install the programs to that?
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6779

There's one way but I'm going to guess that the school is smart enough to disable regedit-ing.
jammyc53
+7|6574|Newcastle. England.
when you install the program it asks you where. click brows and click somewhere other than program files
russ)=spetsnaz
Banned
+131|6472|the guy in the hind on gator
my school wont let u install anything, when u click runu it just says you need administrative privileges to install
OmniDeath
~
+726|6660

Jameseyy wrote:

First I'd go mental that your school's computers are on windows 2000.

Get an external hard drive and install the programs to that?
its slower if you dont get a good enough hard drive, but thats what i would do

jammyc53 wrote:

when you install the program it asks you where. click brows and click somewhere other than program files
easiest option assuming you can do that in 2k
LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6547|Amherst, MA

Omnideath wrote:

jammyc53 wrote:

easiest option assuming you can do that in 2k
Ehhh.. noooo. First off, windows 2k is a great operating system, especially for a school setting , locks down well.

Now, I assume you login with a username similar the FLastName? It has restrictions applied to it by the schools network administrator. The block on installing programs has nothing to do with the c:\program files folder.

Not sure how you 'got' google earth installed, is it the type of install that downloads through google as it installs? Or maybe the admin unrestricted certain programs that your teachers wanted.

Your best bet is to use a USB drive, or an iPod. Just install the program to your iPod or USB drive, make sure you enable disk use for the iPod. Windows 2k should have some decent usb drivers if the computers are up to date, and both the iPod or USB drive should just show up as a drive in My Computer.

What types of programs are you trying to install? Games or something useful? A lot of network admins can be lenient if you can get ahold of them.

GL HF
GodFather
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ
heh, okay let me get some things straight here first...

you guys over-estimate my school, the DIDNT lock the BIOS with a password, the network admin is a soccer mom who thinks she knows what shes doing, she didnt even know how to clear the CMOS, I HAD TO DO IT. She wanted to wipe the Hard Drive because it had, "A virus, or 'malware'"

usb ports are 1.1

Computers are Win2k with loginnames lastnamefirst

the network admin just set some settings, I can still get into the regedit... and change things, I think

If I can go backdoor on the regedit files that would be great, point me to them.

When i try to access the Program Files it says "Unable to (action) ____ ... ACCESS DENIED."

And the teachers are too stupid to know what goes on the computers, I mean ive tried 2142 CC, aim, MSN, x-fire... Photoshop CS etc. random programs, doesnt block or say that they are blocked

I can pretty much to anything but touch the Program Files

-So yeah, thanks for the help. Im only in this school another year, I dont think I can justify buying a external HDD for "XP and other games on my computer at school" ya know? I do have like 8GB free on my iPOD and I can get a nice regestration key from my buddy lol if someone would tell me how to do that, probably just throw a link at me because I dont want you to waste your time typing it up for something that I might not use. It would be easier to just get it integrated
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6452|UK
do u have DOS?

there are many things you can do with DOS on a network

our skool was shit for pc

i couldn turn a computer off from across the room using DOS

was funny when i kept opening and shutting the teachers disk drive aswell
GodFather
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ
heh nope, isnt DOS just the OS?
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6738|Oregon
its probably worthless....98% of public computers have a program called deepfreze on on it. dont even bother trying.
GodFather
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ
once again, you overestimate my school....

As long as you log into admin you can do whatever, i dont have the admin PW anymore... and on the admin profiles theres no Deep Freeze on them Ive checked for filters, the new computers next year will have filters... theese do not, just "Permissions" via windows 2k

Last edited by GodFather (2007-05-03 23:44:27)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6732
u could install a virtual machine...
Love is the answer
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6509|N. Ireland

[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober wrote:

its probably worthless....98% of public computers have a program called deepfreze on on it. dont even bother trying.
Sadly this is true. I've yet to find a proper way round this!
GodFather
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ

GodFather wrote:

once again, you overestimate my school....

As long as you log into admin you can do whatever, i dont have the admin PW anymore... and on the admin profiles theres no Deep Freeze on them Ive checked for filters, the new computers next year will have filters... theese do not, just "Permissions" via windows 2k

leetkyle wrote:

Sadly this is true. I've yet to find a proper way round this!
People, please read my responses...

Last edited by GodFather (2007-05-04 00:19:15)

adv3rsary
+28|6732
cant do it without access to modify registry
only other option u have is, if the app comes in the "portable" variety as firefox does..
it's not a matter of where u install it (program files or whatever).. most programs also need to install registry keys into the registry which if you're school's IT department has the intelligence of a donkey would have disabled
GodFather
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ

adv3rsary wrote:

cant do it without access to modify registry
only other option u have is, if the app comes in the "portable" variety as firefox does..
it's not a matter of where u install it (program files or whatever).. most programs also need to install registry keys into the registry which if you're school's IT department has the intelligence of a donkey would have disabled
haha IT Department... good one, i told you, soccer mom - shes some 3rd graders mom from the other wing who can make IE say "our school name i wont say" so they gave her the admin codes and

wow, crashes on the server, I HAVE TO FIX THEM, crashings on the computers, she loaded up software that requires 4 steps... she did 3, then had to do a re-install for the 4th, never completed the 4th, so EVERYONE logs in and gets stuck with HP trying to load a program and install for it to lock up saying "YOU NEED ADMINISTRATIVE PRIVLIDGES TO INSTALL THIS" then closes later, 2 programs right now actually, idiot

someone point me how to make an I-pod an external.. i can change the boot options to try to boot USB HDD first... its np
joker3327
=IBF2=
+305|6614|Cheshire. UK
What progs are you trying to install? is this any good...it does not install anything on the host pc it is all run from a USB pendrive.

http://portableapps.com/suite
GodFather
+387|6236|Phoenix, AZ
Well im trying to install stuff like for example

AIM
MSN
X-Fire

Mozilla Fire Fox - Mozilla Firefox apps

Java
Flash Players
err

Limewire (I know how to not get infected with shit its okay)

NOD32 or some other anti virus program
2142CC
Winzip

Windows Media Player 10

____

yes. our school doesnt have any of the above installed

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard