Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

EVieira wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

EVieira wrote:

I have, yes. Have you ever heard of detours?
You fail to understand when things don't arrive on time money is lost. Seeing as I was in the shipping bussiness for 13 years I can tell you I have heard of detours. Roads are built for reasons. When a major highway like I-580 is taken out simply funneling traffic via a detour is not going to be enough to keep the same pace out. Read the article.."So far this morning, traffic on all the affected roadways remains light, but major backups are expected today and for the foreseeable future."
Ok, you're right. Money is going to be lost over this, but not nearly enough to make a minimal dent in the economy of either state. Come on, to think this might have some conection to terrorism? Hitting freeways in the middle of the night?

This is either scaremongering on neo-con flame bait...
I was just trying to point out it will have an impact. I think when we are hit again there will be an obvious message attached.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6661
Of course it was a complete coincidence, and terrorism can instantly be discounted. 

Just like when Buncefield happened 4 days after the videos calling for attacks on oil facilities.

https://images.scotsman.com/2005/12/12/12fuelb.jpg

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2388242005
Nurse_Mari
+5|6362|Originally Kobe, Now London
You put 2 pictures up, but no information on the drivers, the company, or anything else. How can you judge anything by looking at 2 pictures, and minimal information??
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command

Nurse_Mari wrote:

You put 2 pictures up, but no information on the drivers, the company, or anything else. How can you judge anything by looking at 2 pictures, and minimal information??
oh, I dunno, click the links ( the orange text ) for more info.
ts-pulsar
+54|6510

Vilham wrote:

Let me put it this way... using super tankers wouldnt work for shit...

My dad works in the shipping industry. Mainly selling and buying super tankers and hes told me quite a bit about how the ships are safe and things. The safety stuff they have on them is massive... You would need to break every holding tank, and then bypass the lockdowns on all the hatches, then somehow get rid of the safety grills on the pipes... and so on.

Basically it would be better to just put all the explosives required together to blow up all the stuff...
I dunno, piracy is actually pretty rampant these days, especially in the southeast pacific.  Large shipping freighters have been hijacked on more than on occasion.  Hijacking a LNG tanker wouldn't be that hard, and the terrorists would have plenty of time to rig it for explosion.  All that LNG, if properly set for explosion, could easily reach the equivalent of a small nuke.  Think about something like that being rammed into harbors in just about any major city.

The history channel actually had a pretty good documentary about modern piracy not too long ago, goes over all this stuff pretty well.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

ts-pulsar wrote:

The history channel actually had a pretty good documentary about modern piracy not too long ago, goes over all this stuff pretty well.
http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=76305 ?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6556|San Diego, CA, USA

sergeriver wrote:

I don't know, but it seems pretty dumb to blow a super tanker on Sunday at 3.45 a.m.  I mean, if you want to kill a lot of people you do this on Monday at 9:00 a.m.  This was an accident, sorry Islamophobes.
Don't worry, the Religion of Peace crazies will strike our schools and malls soon killing thousands.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

Kmarion wrote:

EVieira wrote:

ATG wrote:

Do you have any idea what kind of economic damage a closed freeway can do?
Ever heard of detours?
Ever heard of a schedule?
This tactic was used a bit by the IRA in their campaign on mainland Britain. A simple bomb scare on an arterial route towards London would cause $bn of damage. I don't think ATG's theory about these US freeways holds any water though - it's usually the libs who are the conspiracy theorists...

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-04-29 16:47:12)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Miller wrote:

ATG wrote:

I didn't say that is was an attack, I was asking.  So, I'll put you down in the Islamophobia crowd, with me.
ditto
Whats worse.. asking questions, or throwing politically incorrect labels at the people who do?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6485|Communist Republic of CA, USA

EVieira wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

EVieira wrote:

Ever heard of detours?
Ever heard of a schedule?
I have, yes. Have you ever heard of detours?
I-580 is a Nightmare on a Good Day.  You can't really detour around it, this was a major intersection of Freeways.  Driving here will be Hell for weeks.  5 hour commutes...
fadedsteve
GOP Sympathizer
+266|6498|Menlo Park, CA
I have to go to Placerville with my girlfriend soon, what a pain in the ass!!

We take that interchange on the way once you get over the bridge (Bay Bridge)!!!

Guess we will be taking the Dumbarton Bridge now. . . . .for AT LEAST the next year while they fix that shit!!

side note: I havent seen any reports that the truck was a terrorist plot at all. . . .

Last edited by fadedsteve (2007-04-29 17:27:11)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

I have an excerpt from a particular Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel that may seem irrelevant, but is nevertheless interesting:

Good Omens wrote:

"Now we art all here," said Hastur meaningfully, "we must recount the Deeds of the Day."

"Yeah. Deeds," said Crowley, with the slightly guilty look of one who is attending church for the first time in years and has forgotten which bits you stand up for.

Hastur cleared his throat.

"I have tempted a priest," he said. "As he walked down the street and saw the pretty girls in the sun, I put Doubt into his mind. He would have been a saint, but within a decade we shall have him."

"Nice one," said Crowley, helpfully.

"I have corrupted a politician," said Ligur. "I let him think a tiny bribe would not hurt. Within a year we shall have him."

They both looked expectantly at Crowley, who gave them a big smile.

"You'll like this," he said.

His smile became even wider and more conspiratorial.

"I tied up every portable telephone system in Central London for forty-five minutes at lunchtime," he said.

There was silence, except for the distant swishing of cars.

"Yes?" said Hastur. "And then what?"

"Look, it wasn't easy," said Crowley.

"That's all?" said Ligur.

"And what exactly has that done to secure souls for our master?" said Hastur.

Crowley pulled himself together.

What could he tell them? That twenty thousand people got bloody furious? That you could hear the arteries clanging shut all across the city? And that then they went back and took it out on their secretaries or traffic wardens or whatever, and they took it out on other people? In all kinds of vindictive little ways which, and here was the good bit, they thought up themselves. For the rest of the day. The pass-along effects were incalculable. Thousands and thousands of souls all got a faint patina of tarnish, and you hardly had to lift a finger.

But you couldn't tell that to demons like Hastur and Ligur. Fourteenth-century minds, the lot of them. Spending years picking away at one soul. Admittedly it was craftsmanship, but you had to think differently these days. Not big, but wide. With five billion people in the world you couldn't pick the buggers off one by one any more; you had to spread your effort. But demons like Ligur and Hastur wouldn't understand. They'd never have thought up Welsh-language television, for example. Or value-added tax. Or Manchester.

He'd been particularly pleased with Manchester.
Now:

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

I-580 is a Nightmare on a Good Day.  You can't really detour around it, this was a major intersection of Freeways.  Driving here will be Hell for weeks.  5 hour commutes...
Also:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f … PHR006.DTL

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-04-29 17:46:46)

HeimdalX
+37|6658

EVieira wrote:

The Oklahoma bombing wasn't a big enough warning?
Yeah, warning of WASPs going crazy
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6699|Calgary

Vilham wrote:

Let me put it this way... using super tankers wouldnt work for shit...

My dad works in the shipping industry. Mainly selling and buying super tankers and hes told me quite a bit about how the ships are safe and things. The safety stuff they have on them is massive... You would need to break every holding tank, and then bypass the lockdowns on all the hatches, then somehow get rid of the safety grills on the pipes... and so on.

Basically it would be better to just put all the explosives required together to blow up all the stuff...
My friend Mohammed really liked your post but was wondering if you get a little bit more detailed

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6638|Washington, DC

fadedsteve wrote:

side note: I havent seen any reports that the truck was a terrorist plot at all. . . .
I hate being a tin-foil hat wearer, but maybe the govt thinks it was the beginning of a possible attack, and doesn't want to instill panic. What with last week's threat of an attack on the scale of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, people would be none too pleased to think that the truck next to them could have a nuke.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6651

hmm, two cases could simply be a coincidence, but if it continues in a similar fashion i might begin to wonder.
BVC
+325|6703
I've also worked in the freight industry (not as long as Kmarion, granted), and yes detours can cost money, possibly also lives if such things as tissue samples are delayed.
jonsimon
+224|6503

fadedsteve wrote:

I have to go to Placerville with my girlfriend soon, what a pain in the ass!!

We take that interchange on the way once you get over the bridge (Bay Bridge)!!!

Guess we will be taking the Dumbarton Bridge now. . . . .for AT LEAST the next year while they fix that shit!!

Oh my god, fadedsteve being far more rational than ATG about terrorism?!?!? What has D&ST come to?!?!
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

The religion of peace strikes again.
Seriously, who has ever called it that?  The only people I've heard using that term are Conservatives trying to make fun of their opponents.

Apart from that:

San Francisco Chronicle wrote:

The single-vehicle crash occurred on the lower roadway when the tanker, loaded with 8,600 gallons of unleaded gasoline and heading from a refinery in Benicia to a gas station on Hegenberger Road in Oakland, hit a guardrail at 3:41 a.m.

WOAI.com wrote:

Investigators say the rig apparently taking the ramp too fast this morning.
So, what, terrorists have now been reduced to putting themselves in dangerous situations and hoping for an accident?  You honestly think they wouldn't have planted a bomb if they wanted to blow up an oil tanker?
ATG
Banned

Bubbalo wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

The religion of peace strikes again.
Seriously, who has ever called it that?  The only people I've heard using that term are Conservatives trying to make fun of their opponents.

Apart from that:

San Francisco Chronicle wrote:

The single-vehicle crash occurred on the lower roadway when the tanker, loaded with 8,600 gallons of unleaded gasoline and heading from a refinery in Benicia to a gas station on Hegenberger Road in Oakland, hit a guardrail at 3:41 a.m.

WOAI.com wrote:

Investigators say the rig apparently taking the ramp too fast this morning.
So, what, terrorists have now been reduced to putting themselves in dangerous situations and hoping for an accident?  You honestly think they wouldn't have planted a bomb if they wanted to blow up an oil tanker?
They know economics is what will bring us down.
A large scale spectacular attack will bring down our wrath.
Subtlety FTL
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6654|Peoria
Lets just go set fire to their oil wells. We can get by on our own for a while.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6556|San Diego, CA, USA
Interesting how a gasoline fire can bring down a metal bridge, but when jet fuel in the Twin Towers brings it down on 9/11, people don't believe it and say its a conspiracy.

I'm glad I don't live in that area.  Gee wiz, I remember what happened a few years back when a powerline fell over a freeway at a major interchange in my area...
ATG
Banned

Harmor wrote:

Interesting how a gasoline fire can bring down a metal bridge, but when jet fuel in the Twin Towers brings it down on 9/11, people don't believe it and say its a conspiracy.

I'm glad I don't live in that area.  Gee wiz, I remember what happened a few years back when a powerline fell over a freeway at a major interchange in my area...
I'm glad somebody finally made the comparison.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6569

ATG wrote:

They know economics is what will bring us down.
A large scale spectacular attack will bring down our wrath.
Subtlety FTL
And they're going to do that by driving oil tankers in the hopes that they'll cause damage in a crash, rather than just destroying them?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6779|PNW

Despite the content of my earlier post, I am inclined to favor coincidence.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard