Tro0per
Take off, hosers
+24|6426|Ontario, Canada
Yesterday I built my first gaming PC and I was a little skeptical about how my heat sink sits on my CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813188013  -- My motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835118223  -- My heat sink

When I installed it I tightened it enough without snapping or breaking anything on the mobo, but to my surprise it can still move a bit when its installed(like it slides over the cpu chip and yes theres AS5 on it). Did I do it wrong and can this be fatal or am I just worrying?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

I don't think it should be able to move. Are you sure it's all tightened properly?
Tro0per
Take off, hosers
+24|6426|Ontario, Canada
I can turn it like 5-10 degrees its not major but im just curious
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6732|Oregon
dont move it on purpose...i would just let it be...not that major an issue i think, as long as the AS5 is making good contact, your good,.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6634|Cherry Pie
I would say if there is no gap between the cooler and the processor and it is latched down tightly, you should be fine.  Just make sure when its in your case that it has full contact with the processor.  Heat sinks are simple devices and you really shouldn't worry about it much.  Nice fan btw.  I'm going to get that one for my next PC.
Greenboi
+14|6377
Im pretty sure they should be on tight...i put my stock intel hsf on wrong and it wobbled around...idle @ 65c is bad

boot into bios and monitor temps for 5-10 mins and see how they are...thats the best way to check
CrazeD
+368|6683|Maine
As long as it doesn't over heat you're fine.
The#1Spot
+105|6550|byah
i would find a way to secure it more cause the last thing you want to hear is your video card being broken into 2 pieces from the massive cooling object falling.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6580|Portland, OR, USA
I have that exact same mobo and heat sink fan and mine doesnt wiggle at all.

Try reinstalling it because with a heatsink that big (and heavy), if you put too much strain on your mobo, you could potentially have a 230 dollar problem on your hands... (considering it doesn't damage your video card)
Tro0per
Take off, hosers
+24|6426|Ontario, Canada
its secure to the board but I can spin the heatsink abit, I checked my temps in bios and its around 22 c

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard