Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6483|Sydney, Australia

geNius wrote:

This is a random rant:

Who, on God's green earth actually uses the word "whilst" in everyday conversation?

Does anyone realize it's a Middle English word meaning "while", and that it has no place in today's English?

Why the F' do I see it appear in so many nonsensical forum posts?!

Thank you, that is all.
This is like asking "What's the point of synonyms?" Using "whilst" sounds more eloquent, and as it takes more effort to say than "while", it serves to break up a monotonous sentence and creates diversity in language. It's the same reason why you say "I received a letter in the mail" as opposed to "I got a letter in the mail."

Last edited by Vub (2007-04-26 18:57:23)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6673|United States of America
Damn, I only have it in six of my posts. I have to start using that particular word more whilst I am browsing these forums.
Riddick51PB
+21|6497|Lincoln.ne.us

geNius wrote:

This is a random rant:

Who, on God's green earth actually uses the word "whilst" in everyday conversation?

Does anyone realize it's a Middle English word meaning "while", and that it has no place in today's English?

Why the F' do I see it appear in so many nonsensical forum posts?!

Thank you, that is all.
it's a Euro thing. like "bugger' is a Euro thing.

it's like, why do they drive on the opposite side of the road in europe? who knows, it's just what they do over there
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6271|Pennsyltucky

To paraphrase a mate from the UK "You blokes don't speak English in America."

We got on him this morning because the Server message asks people not to switch teams causing them to become "IMBALANCED".

Whilst we may use the word unbalanced they use imbalanced. ----> pun intended.

You say toMATo I say TOmato, meh, no biggie.
Darky
Hi..
+71|6550|Here.
Depends on the seriousness of the post, but I don't use it in real life.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6661|Colorado

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Some people like a little variety in their vocabulary. Oh, God forbid that.

I see enough of the 1337 speak and horrendous spelling and grammar from internet cretins, so reading a somewhat obscure word once in a while is a breath of fresh air.
QFE
geNius
..!.,
+144|6430|SoCal

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

'While' and 'Whilst' do not mean the same thing. Get yourself a decent English dictionary.

KylieTastic wrote:

By what source do you do you say this? I just checked both my Collins and Chambers Dictionaries and neither say its archaic or in-proper.
in-proper = improper?

http://dict.die.net/whilst/
Whilst \Whilst\, adv. [From Whiles; cf. Amongst.]
   While. [Archaic]

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view= … type=exact
whilst

• conjunction & adverb chiefly Brit. while.

I'm guessing you guys don't consider Oxford to be a good source.

PS - This thread went much further than I wanted it to.  I simply intended to poke fun at the word.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Samtheman53
Banned
+346|6684|UK
i use it whilst in school
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

geNius wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

'While' and 'Whilst' do not mean the same thing. Get yourself a decent English dictionary.

KylieTastic wrote:

By what source do you do you say this? I just checked both my Collins and Chambers Dictionaries and neither say its archaic or in-proper.
in-proper = improper?

http://dict.die.net/whilst/
Whilst \Whilst\, adv. [From Whiles; cf. Amongst.]
   While. [Archaic]

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view= … type=exact
whilst

• conjunction & adverb chiefly Brit. while.

I'm guessing you guys don't consider Oxford to be a good source.

PS - This thread went much further than I wanted it to.  I simply intended to poke fun at the word.
If that were the full OED (Oxford English Dictionary), then yeah, I'd accept it, but it isn't.

The essence of the difference between 'while' and 'whilst' comes to down to context - 'while' is temporal (at the same time), 'whilst' is more spatial (amongst).

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-04-28 06:33:15)

[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6738|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL

Riddick51PB wrote:

it's like, why do they drive on the opposite side of the road in europe? who knows, it's just what they do over there
umm...you do know that it's the Brits that drive on the opposite side and not all Europeans, right?

And on topic, I'll throw my hat in with the "why do you care?" crowd...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6754|Cambridge (UK)

[1stSSF]=Nuka= wrote:

Riddick51PB wrote:

umm...you do know that it's the Brits that drive on the opposite side and not all Europeans, right?

And on topic, I'll throw my hat in with the "why do you care?" crowd...
No, it's everybody else that drives on the opposite side of the road - we drive on the correct side.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard