null_o2
+7|6453|Perth, West Australia

jonnykill wrote:

Shit I couldn't even make it past the "Marijuana is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE blah, blah, blah". That's pure bullshit.
Yes, yes it is.

I recently gave up the piss, and started smoking marijuana instead (just socially of course), and I was rather alcohol dependent.

Best move of my life.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6669|USA
Weed wins in the health dept compared to Alcohol and Tobacco. Old news, not accepted by many.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6557|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

Bertster7 wrote:

I don't condone any sort of ban. Although I could imagine unemployment rising if cannabis were to be legalised and I believe that would be the greatest negative effect on society.
Um, I would argue that morbidly obese people are far more likely to lazy than a irregular pot smoker.  If you have stats to back up what you've said then fair enough, but I know people who smoke weed and hold down pretty good, high-earning, jobs.

I would also suspect that many people who smoke weed are generally apathetic people anyway.  If they apathetic towards the law in the first place they are likely to be the same with everyday life. Conversley, it would be unlikely for a very sporty person and to take up weed.  You would have to measure someones lifestyle before and after they started smoking to get a real result.  I  only started smoking in the past couple of years and although I would say I'm unmovitated and lazy in general and cannot deny that I was exactly the same before I started smoking, it's just the person I am.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I don't condone any sort of ban. Although I could imagine unemployment rising if cannabis were to be legalised and I believe that would be the greatest negative effect on society.
Um, I would argue that morbidly obese people are far more likely to lazy than a irregular pot smoker.  If you have stats to back up what you've said then fair enough, but I know people who smoke weed and hold down pretty good, high-earning, jobs.
For a start there you are comparing moderate cannabis use with morbid obesity. Can you not see why that is an unfair comparison? Moderate cannabis use could be equated to being moderately overweight. Morbid obesity could be equated to smoking 4-5 grams a day - which will certainly have a negative effect on productivity.

I am very against allowing people to be obese anyway. I believe people who are classed as obese should have no right to treatment on the NHS. Fat people are more of a drain on the NHS than smokers (cannabis smokers accounting for a very small percentage of the drain, certainly far lower than alcohol use).
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6773|UK

Bertster7 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

There haven't been any conclusive studies showing that. Also the studies there have been have shown it only to be an issue for people who are already susceptible.

In any case, at least I won't be getting Alzheimer's.
Please explain how my brother got schizophrenia from smoking too much weed then...
He was already susceptible. Lots of people get schizophrenia without smoking weed. Show me a conclusive medical study, you won't be able to because there aren't any and there have been loads of studies into it.

I know lots of people who have developed mental illness while smoking weed. I can also see that the fact they smoked weed may have contributed to it. It is not the driving factor behind the development of any mental illness though. Cannabis use does exacerbate mental illness though.

The evidence for alcohol causing schizophrenia is at least as strong as the evidence for cannabis causing it. So that makes your point kind of redundant.

Thanks to JahManRed for the link.
True. But the point is that its a trigger for it.
goblinstomper
I ♣ Seals
+8|6572|Hampshire
Two words....

BILL HICKS!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Vilham wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Please explain how my brother got schizophrenia from smoking too much weed then...
He was already susceptible. Lots of people get schizophrenia without smoking weed. Show me a conclusive medical study, you won't be able to because there aren't any and there have been loads of studies into it.

I know lots of people who have developed mental illness while smoking weed. I can also see that the fact they smoked weed may have contributed to it. It is not the driving factor behind the development of any mental illness though. Cannabis use does exacerbate mental illness though.

The evidence for alcohol causing schizophrenia is at least as strong as the evidence for cannabis causing it. So that makes your point kind of redundant.

Thanks to JahManRed for the link.
True. But the point is that its a trigger for it.
So is alcohol.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6772|Cambridge (UK)

Pubic wrote:

Argument: Buying marijuana makes you meet dodgy people who get you hooked on hard drugs.
My resonse: Growing marijuana in your back yard will keep you away from dodgy people, and won't cost you a cent.
I have been smoking marijuana for nearly 15years. I've been offered coke and speed maybe twice. Opium a couple of time. I've never been offered heroin, nor cocaine, nor meth.

When I was offered coke/speed/opium, I just said "no thanks, not my scene" and that was that. No pressure. No hard sell. No nothing.

The idea that marijuana is a 'gateway' drug, for most users of marijuana, is simply just a lie - of course, it happens, but very very very rarely.

The mistake comes from the fact that most users of the 'hard' drugs also use marijuana and often were smoking marijuana before they started on the hard stuff. But saying that marijuana is therefor a gateway drug is like saying "Most people that drink alcohol also drink coffee. And most were drinking coffee before they started drinking alcohol. Therefor coffee is a gateway drug to alcohol."

edit: spelling

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-04-26 09:40:06)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6395|New York
in my opinion, marijuana = alcohol. different yet similar effects, one you smoke, one you drink.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6772|Cambridge (UK)

Bertster7 wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

For a start there you are comparing moderate cannabis use with morbid obesity. Can you not see why that is an unfair comparison? Moderate cannabis use could be equated to being moderately overweight. Morbid obesity could be equated to smoking 4-5 grams a day - which will certainly have a negative effect on productivity.
I know people who smoke more than 4-5grams a day and they're not inactive. Some of them would actually be less active if they didn't smoke it (those that, like myself, use it for medicinal purposes (though, I don't smoke that kind of quantity - 5grams would last me nearly two weeks!))...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

I know people who smoke more than 4-5grams a day and they're not inactive. Some of them would actually be less active if they didn't smoke it (those that, like myself, use it for medicinal purposes (though, I don't smoke that kind of quantity - 5grams would last me nearly two weeks!))...
Not all people who smoke loads will be inactive. But in general, heavy cannabis users don't get much done. I've been through phases of smoking simillar quantities to that and it certainly makes me get less done, the same applies to most people I know who smoke it heavily. These days I smoke between an eighth and a quarter a week and I get more done - although whenever I stop smoking it (which I find pretty easy to do, a night or two of dodgy sleep then I'm fine) I'm far more dynamic. These days I very rarely smoke anything before it is quite late in the evening and I don't have anything to get done - just smoke a spliff, watch a film and go to sleep.

Medical users would certainly be an exception to that, particularly those with something like MS.

I am definately a supporter of legalising cannabis (I smoke enough of the stuff). I'm just trying to put across the facts in a fair and unbiased manner.
motherdear
+25|6658|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
alcohol should be legal since it's a part of culture.
jonsimon
+224|6502
Video games have been proven to kill people (korean kids), are addictive, and reduce productivity. But we don't have these kinds of debates about them.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

jonsimon wrote:

Video games have been proven to kill people (korean kids), are addictive, and reduce productivity. But we don't have these kinds of debates about them.
People do. It's just they are debates about videogames (usually just violent ones) being banned and this is a debate about weed being legalised. Neither of of which has any significant chance of happening.
Des.Kmal
+917|6624|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

motherdear wrote:

alcohol should be legal since it's a part of culture.
so is weed....?

jonsimon wrote:

though, video games ARE legal, were discussing the legality of weed and the comparison to a legal drug, alcohol.
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6401|The Gem Saloon

Bertster7 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Not all people who smoke loads will be inactive. But in general, heavy cannabis users don't get much done. I've been through phases of smoking simillar quantities to that and it certainly makes me get less done, the same applies to most people I know who smoke it heavily. These days I smoke between an eighth and a quarter a week and I get more done - although whenever I stop smoking it (which I find pretty easy to do, a night or two of dodgy sleep then I'm fine) I'm far more dynamic. These days I very rarely smoke anything before it is quite late in the evening and I don't have anything to get done - just smoke a spliff, watch a film and go to sleep.

Medical users would certainly be an exception to that, particularly those with something like MS.

I am definately a supporter of legalising cannabis (I smoke enough of the stuff). I'm just trying to put across the facts in a fair and unbiased manner.
you know, i pride myself in being able to smoke all i want and still be able to run my business and keep my life in order. i might be cheating slightly because i work out of my house, so my schedule is dictated only by money. however, if i did not work out of my house, i do feel that the AMOUNT i smoke would limit me in doing some things....some things as in WANTING to do them, not because i cant. i can smoke a blunt to myself and go forge a knife with no problems. that can be said about most things in my life, but some people just cant operate.

i would love to see it legal in my lifetime, though im not going to hold my breath. between the cotton industry, the laws and the stigma placed on it we wont see that happen for a very long time.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6638|949

I smoke all day at work.  Instead of doing all my work at once and being done in 5 hours, I would rather post here when blunted and draw it out for 8 hours.  I don't get paid hourly anyway, so I do what I want, which is great.

EDIT:  I just took a picture of my bong in front of the computer, but I can't seem to find the USB plug for it...

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-04-26 12:36:52)

Des.Kmal
+917|6624|Atlanta, Georgia, USA

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I smoke all day at work.  Instead of doing all my work at once and being done in 5 hours, I would rather post here when blunted and draw it out for 8 hours.  I don't get paid hourly anyway, so I do want I want, which is great.
lmao, where do u work?
Add me on Origin for Battlefield 4 fun: DesKmal
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6638|949

Des.Kmal wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I smoke all day at work.  Instead of doing all my work at once and being done in 5 hours, I would rather post here when blunted and draw it out for 8 hours.  I don't get paid hourly anyway, so I do want I want, which is great.
lmao, where do u work?
My friend and I run an electronics distribution company.  Sounds high-tech huh?

We are basically brokers for OEMs and CMs looking for obsolete/hard to find electronic components.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6588|SE London

Parker wrote:

you know, i pride myself in being able to smoke all i want and still be able to run my business and keep my life in order. i might be cheating slightly because i work out of my house, so my schedule is dictated only by money. however, if i did not work out of my house, i do feel that the AMOUNT i smoke would limit me in doing some things....some things as in WANTING to do them, not because i cant. i can smoke a blunt to myself and go forge a knife with no problems. that can be said about most things in my life, but some people just cant operate.
I know what you mean.

I'm not talking about not being capable of doing things though. Just about not being bothered to do them.
jonsimon
+224|6502

Bertster7 wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

People do. It's just they are debates about videogames (usually just violent ones) being banned and this is a debate about weed being legalised. Neither of of which has any significant chance of happening.
No one ever argues that games should be banned for the reasons popular culture would have us believe weed is banned. That was the point.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6537|The lunar module
Now, after a 15-hour day at work, and with two shots of cheap Scotch under my belt, I say this:

Both alcohol and weed should be banned, and dealers severely prosecuted. Both are poisons that attack the nervous system.

Include cigarettes and coffee in the ban.

I'm being half serious here...

I can already feel the Unwinding, courtesy of the two shots of Scotch. I kept going the entire day on a caffeine high, and relied on being able to relax afterwards with the aid of trusty ol' VAT 69.

Without these crutches, I couldn't have gone through today. Or wouldn't have.

It's not the chemicals we need, what we should be aiming at is life that can be lived without chemical crutches.

Oh, time to take the meds. Sorry, have to go.
Crazy-Madness
+8|6490
Oh Mary Sweet Mary My Mary.. Oh Oh!

I got very lazy as i smoked Marijuana
every step going somewhere was a hard work:P
now its over

As i drunk alcohol  and puked i got REALLY stupid    like an imba-fool ^^

but small masses of alcohol built my brain up again  hrhrhr

Omg dude i love this song
And the rights hair ROCK!! i love having them

Sorry but my english is maybe not the best
ronmexico86
+2|6389
To the myth that marijuana is a gateway drug (adding on to what was already said)...as Chris Rock said, drugs sell themselves. Also, in the Netherlands, there is far less hard drug use than other countries where marijuana use is less prevalent.

As for legalization of it, I don't smoke but I'm all for legalization both for economic AND social reasons.

Economic reasons are obvious, the government COULD tax it and profit from it. Sure, people will argue because of how easy it is to grow and the fact that the police don't want to lose their funding contribute to the idea that legalization and taxation would not be possible but this does not seem to be true. To allow police funding to continue, just set up a system where possessing large amounts, without a permit of some kind or growing more than a certain amount would be illegal. Thus, police could still get their money to prowl around for that (and for hard drugs of course) and the government would be able to tax whichever company (probably tobacco companies, as they already have the infrastructure). Of course, this is just a rough idea I've been kicking around in my head, but it seems that it would work.

Social reasons may not be as obvious but are definitely a more deciding factor for me (and are tied in to other economic reasons..everything relates back to money). Many people go to prison for possessing marijuana, they get FELONIES for possessing marijuana (remember, a felony conviction in most states means you lose your right to VOTE, so essentially you could become a lower class citizen in the eyes of the government simply because you had a bunch of weed). In some states, there have been prisoners convicted of MURDER who have received parole before ones who merely sold weed (I read it in the book "Reefer Madness" (some dude heavily researched this stuff, and a couple of other issues and he had his own sources which I checked out then) and that was a while ago so I don't recall specifically where but feel free to correct me if you find otherwise). Over 10 million people get arrested in the United States for marijuana related offenses and as I mentioned, many of these receive felony convictions (about 250,000). All this for a drug less harmful than both alcohol and tobacco. In addition, in prison, people frequently learn, in a sense, more ways to commit illegal acts and many end up doing so. These prisoners also are a drain on our society, prisons are NOT cheap places to run.
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6664|South West England

apollo_fi wrote:

Now, after a 15-hour day at work, and with two shots of cheap Scotch under my belt, I say this:

Both alcohol and weed should be banned, and dealers severely prosecuted. Both are poisons that attack the nervous system.

Include cigarettes and coffee in the ban.

I'm being half serious here...

I can already feel the Unwinding, courtesy of the two shots of Scotch. I kept going the entire day on a caffeine high, and relied on being able to relax afterwards with the aid of trusty ol' VAT 69.

Without these crutches, I couldn't have gone through today. Or wouldn't have.

It's not the chemicals we need, what we should be aiming at is life that can be lived without chemical crutches.

Oh, time to take the meds. Sorry, have to go.
lol reminds me, the other day i was in a relapse period, had sleeping problems lately, well basicly... 8 red bull later, a few hours pass and i'm fine, stood up went to walk out the door, went to run to the shops then i shut down and went numb lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard